Pencarne, = BLT from page 54

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Question Time = Jeff has suggested an Allotment in the area between the Stream and the Track's. My Question is, are there many Allotments in Cornwall?

Just Googled it and Yes there is a Wadebridge Allotment and Garden society and also Bodmin has one as well, SO NOW PENCARNE will have one.

Camel Quay's allotment was inspired by the one in the Branch Line to Padstow book.  It is east of Launceston below the bridge where the Southern goes over the GWR.  The gardener and friend (robin on top of the spade) are from Dart Castings but there are plenty of figures out there with potential to become excellent allotment gardeners.  On the other hand, if the gardeners aren't around, there's quite a range of gardening tools and accessories to create interest.   You don't have to make everything - unless you want to, of course!

You can't have too many allotments in our hobby, they seem to go hand in hand with railways.  There are a few squeezed in along the North Wales Coast, even north facing so, I guess, not a lot of sun but a lot of cold northerlies.  It doesn't seem to stop things growing or the scene changing from time to time.

Anyway, I enjoyed doing CQ's, it was great fun.  The best advertisement / bit of encouragement I can give really.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Guys, and also to Polly, Your Camel Quay allotment has been quite an inspiration and will be copied WHOOPS I meant followed closely.

Thanks, Andy, but with your imagination and 'green' fingers, I expect you to have an entirely different take on it.  No veggies on CQ, for instance.  Tomatoes (in the greenhouse) count as fruit in my b :yes: :yes: k.

:D 

• Like 5

My son asked a while back if a tomato was a fruit? I said I didn't know but counter-attacked and asked him if a Jaffa Cake was a biscuit? He gave up at that point...

• RMweb Premium

And you cant DRINK a Rich Tea Biscuit. :O

Depends if it falls into the mug or not after dunking! :jester:

Edit.

And what did you use to finish off the dairy - I read it as Diary, first time round.  :jester:

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Gold

My son asked a while back if a tomato was a fruit? I said I didn't know but counter-attacked and asked him if a Jaffa Cake was a biscuit? He gave up at that point...

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting one in a fruit salad. If you leave them out, a biscuit will go soft, while a cake will go hard.

• Like 2

As related by Stephen Fry on "QI",

McVities had to go to court (tax reasons?) to proove their 'Jaffa Cakes' were indeed cakes - this was indicated by them actually going stale when exposed to air over time, while ordinary biscuits went soft.

It'll probably turn out to be apocryphal but that's what I remember!

• Like 1

As related by Stephen Fry on "QI",

McVities had to go to court (tax reasons?) to proove their 'Jaffa Cakes' were indeed cakes - this was indicated by them actually going stale when exposed to air over time, while ordinary biscuits went soft.

It'll probably turn out to be apocryphal but that's what I remember!

Correct - United Biscuit claimed Jaffa cakes were a cake (cakes are zero rated for VAT purposes) but Customs & Exercise thought they were a biscuit (which would attract standard rated VAT). It went to Tribunal where it was found in United Biscuits favour. Jaffa Cakes are more like cakes than biscuits, and the going stale rather than soft was one of the main points the case was decided on. Who said tax case law was dull...  

• Like 4

Who said tax case law was dull...  

I wonder if tea and biscuits were served at the tribunal? Meanwhile, back at Pencarne... Sorry Andy!

YES Back to Pencarne indeed.

George, I did the Dairy (NOT Diary PollySpecSaver of Wales) with a coat of neat PVA, let it settle for a short while and then lightly sprinkled Beach Sand over it. You can for VERY OBVIOUS reasons only do one side at a time. Once dry it was DAB PAINTED with a Magnolia Emulsion, you CANNOT paint in the normal way otherwise the Sand lifts off, so the paint needs DABBING on. Hope that helps mate.

• Like 1

YES Back to Pencarne indeed.

George, I did the Dairy (NOT Diary PollySpecSaver of Wales) with a coat of neat PVA, let it settle for a short while and then lightly sprinkled Beach Sand over it. You can for VERY OBVIOUS reasons only do one side at a time. Once dry it was DAB PAINTED with a Magnolia Emulsion, you CANNOT paint in the normal way otherwise the Sand lifts off, so the paint needs DABBING on. Hope that helps mate.

OK mate will see what can be done....

• Like 1

Up-Date,= The Pencarne District Council are at loggerheads with The Pencarne Horticultural Society over the use of the Land near the Stream for a potential Allotments. For many years its been Common Land and as such the Local Caravan Club have had exclusive use of it. It will be interesting to see what happens at the Council meeting next Month and see if there is a Change of use for the Land, in the meantime its well frequented by Grockels  visiting the area.

post-9335-0-52587700-1457001910_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-36902800-1457001951_thumb.jpg

GRASS will be added soon.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 15

Hi Andrew,

I've just about caught up since page 1 and would like to congratulate you on the fantastic work you have done. it's a real skill you have to be able to remove and rebuild areas and hide the destruction that went with it. I wish I could do it so effectively!! I look forward to seeing all of this continue!! And by the way for my two penneth' I reckon the caravans would be well placed by that stream!

Cheers

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The ways things just seem to happen in Pencarne literally overnight - disappearing roads, buildings, railway lines etc - I have my money on the allotments being in place before the caravan owners know what hit them.

Hi Andrew,

I've just about caught up since page 1 and would like to congratulate you on the fantastic work you have done. it's a real skill you have to be able to remove and rebuild areas and hide the destruction that went with it. I wish I could do it so effectively!! I look forward to seeing all of this continue!! And by the way for my two penneth' I reckon the caravans would be well placed by that stream!

Cheers

John

Hi John, Thanks for the kind words and welcome aboard for the Ride. I've gone from one thing to another but with the help and encouragement of my Digital Friends on here I've finally found what I was looking for. That mainly is a BLT that can run as a real Railway but set into some nice surroundings, i.e. the village on the Hill, (Prospect Hill)  and the Church, the Cottages along the back, (Station Row) and the two white Cottages above the Dairy on St Georges Hill, not forgetting of course, the School on the Hill above School Lane. There is still much to do, things like Masons Lane that runs over the Level Crossing towards the bottom of School Lane and also the Masons Arms Pub that needs settling into the scenery.

Once all the major bits are done I can then concentrate on things like the Gardens and Road Signs etc. but until then its all developing nicely and running as I had expected.

Thanks again