Level Crossing gates on long closed railways

There are two complete double track crossings near Avonmouth docks where a spur used to run into the works that were there before redevelopment by Asda and other businesses. Still rails in the road and gates but no railway either side.

For many years there was a gate that remained on the old branch that went through Ynyscedwyn in south wales near Ystradgynlais despite the bridge over the river behind being long gone and the trackbed towards it having been consumed by a road. It always intrigued me as a child.

The roundabout in Bishops Waltham (Hampshire) still has a single crossing gate on its southern side. The line south is now a footpath and the roundabout and the Corhampton road are on the site of the station.

There are two complete double track crossings near Avonmouth docks where a spur used to run into the works that were there before redevelopment by Asda and other businesses. Still rails in the road and gates but no railway either side.

For many years there was a gate that remained on the old branch that went through Ynyscedwyn in south wales near Ystradgynlais despite the bridge over the river behind being long gone and the trackbed towards it having been consumed by a road. It always intrigued me as a child.

The ones in Avonmouth were 'Smoke Lane Crossing' on the lines that led to the former Imperial Smelting works- back in the mid-1970s, when I worked on the Severn Beach side of them, they cost me money if I was stuck on the St Andrew's Road side of them, as they'd make me late for work.

• RMweb Premium

Do they still have the road signs for it as well?

Yes, and the signs have been replaced since the rest of the line was removed. 

• RMweb Premium

Ryston on the Denver-> Stoke Ferry branch still has its rotting gates, and I suspect that there is still the bow-mac concrete edges in place on the A10 nearby....

Andy G

The roundabout in Bishops Waltham (Hampshire) still has a single crossing gate on its southern side. The line south is now a footpath and the roundabout and the Corhampton road are on the site of the station.

I've passed that a few times, but it is not entirely what you might think...

The gate seen today originates from Crow in the New Forest, there is/was was a short section of track in place that came from a scrapyard too as all traces of the former station and original track had been removed by the end of 1965.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. On the former line from Hull to Withernsea, there are the remnants of one of the level crossing gates at the one time level crossing at Winestead. Here's a view of it from Google Street View.http://www.google.com/maps/@53.69073,-0.032197,3a,75y,0.26h,84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxXdQa1TysffEWq27blwOnw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656The gate has survived since closure of the line on October, 19th, 1964.

With regards,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

And "Uneven Road" signs at Dunmere which is on a rather busy and fairly steep road wherein the rails and level section of track bed create quite a bump for road vehicles.

I've passed that a few times, but it is not entirely what you might think...

The gate seen today originates from Crow in the New Forest, there is/was was a short section of track in place that came from a scrapyard too as all traces of the former station and original track had been removed by the end of 1965.

which prompts the question - was there a level crossing there at all when the railway was still in use?

• RMweb Premium

A Google trip along the Grimsby - Louth railway will reveal various remains of gates whilst between March and Splading there are still some signalboxes to be seen. East Murrow is now a private house.

Andy

This would be one of the stations between Grimsby and Louth, although I don't know which one I'm afraid - taken at the time of a visit to the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway.

post-31-0-88464500-1437465312.jpg

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifDSCF1997.JPG

Hadlow Road station, now a visitor centre (grade 11 listed building ) on the Wirral way footpath, the former Hooton to West Kirby branch of the Birkenhead Railway. ( GWR/LNWR )

Tom

Nice scene but

(for information)

The gates here aren't original and the box is an ex NSR structure from Hassall Green, and it's not in the same place as the original Hadlow Road box.

which prompts the question - was there a level crossing there at all when the railway was still in use?

Its a bit before my time...but a quick look on Google images reveals a double gated level crossing on the site of the "replica" single set seen nowadays.

Passenger trains ceased in the 1930's, but the remaining freight that ran until the early 60's carried the occasional local...my father worked the line as a young fireman in the late 1950's and remembered regularly stopping at the remains of Durley to drop a couple of old folk off on their way home from a local market.

Slightly artificial - Jackfield on the abandoned northern section of the SVR - this looks to be a modern re-instatement, but I do remember the gates being in situ around 35 years ago.

I was wondering if someone would mentioned these as I was aware of them and I also visited this area about 30 years ago and I remember seeing some level crossing gates back then, but I don't know if it was these.

A Google trip along the Grimsby - Louth railway will reveal various remains of gates whilst between March and Splading there are still some signalboxes to be seen. East Murrow is now a private house.

Andy

THanks, I've had look on Street View and I've found some on Grainsby Lane.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Grainsby+Ln,+Grimsby+DN36+5PT/@53.478287,-0.044709,3a,75y,272.44h,70.43t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s3SpdgO2Ts0UwZmppvvlbkA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D3SpdgO2Ts0UwZmppvvlbkA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D100%26h%3D80%26yaw%3D66.06662%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x4878817cd1b018d3:0x7894629b2a1d6d3a

• RMweb Gold

There are two sets that I'm aware of:-

1, on the line to Carmarthen that ran past the name of the unpronounceable castle Drusyllin or something like that, just near the castle a side road runs south towards Swansea and parts of the gates were still there 2 years ago.

Jamie

They're still there rotting away quietly.

It's Dryslwyn Castle which my welsh speaking friends tell me is pronounced driss-loin

I noted rails still crossing the road at Long Marston today, on the lamented Stratford upon Avon to Honeybourne route, complete with triangular road warning sign for a gated crossing, which looked seventies original, from when the line was still open.

• RMweb Gold

Here's an obscure one - on the Whitland to Cardigan line at - well, middle of nowhere really! Penclipyn / Cwmmiles. Gate visible on opposite side & posts incorporated into entrance by cottage.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.86494,-4.667837,3a,75y,114.59h,75.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXmEUPR-NGPDEmW5ZCG3zow!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

No gates, but crossing cabin & rails in road at Heddon Mill (Ilfracombe line)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.138981,-4.15168,3a,75y,91.31h,70.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJW7HEiQPXp0RE-SpvpgUow!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Same line, Stoney Lane - no gates, but rails in road again

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.133748,-4.153032,3a,75y,287.7h,72.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sisHt9NviOO48wdznwaKuLA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Basically, I'm just wandering around old maps & streetview! :)

Archived