KERNOW TODAY

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tim,

To be fair, we did have an email about the change to the sidings, which only took place over Christmas / early January I believe, which gave us information from the Section C notice, the problem being it listed Handpoint numbers, which we didn't know other than they were in Liskeard Yard (signalling plans didn't give us numbers of hand points, only motored points). So I just asked the question to see if someone could explain in plain English, which Gary H was able to do with some photos, but your information is given a little bit more info.

Do you know if it is a permanent arrangement, as our design shows the other end being plain lined as part of the re-sig?

Simon

Hi Simon,

The creation of a single-ended siding from the short loop was always meant to be a permanent arrangement.

That would mean that we would end up with two single-ended sidings in Liskeard, plus the single through connecting line.

• Like 1

On the subject of changes to track layouts there are plans afoot to rationalise the track layout at St Blazey affecting the area where the double track from Par becomes single going past the signal box towards Pontsmill.

Some signals will also be removed as part of the scheme so get your photo's while you can,  before it all changes for the worse.

• RMweb Premium

If much more is taken out of service, it will be rationalised out of existence.

Brian

Surely in this day and age a single track beyond St Budeaux to Penzance is all that is required? ;)

• RMweb Premium

How did you get hold of the plan I did in 1984?

In 1984 we were under threat of having no trains beyond Plymouth.  Or even Exeter.  Some reports are best left gathering dust on forgotten shelves ;)

• RMweb Gold

In 1984 we were under threat of having no trains beyond Plymouth.  Or even Exeter.  Some reports are best left gathering dust on forgotten shelves ;)

Which in reality was totally incorrect - there were two lots of things going on and the BR position was completely different in that it was looking at economies in order to keep lines open if Serpell demanded certain levels of economy, which is what I was doing.  Br offered up various 'sacrifical' economy schemes, mainly singling (one of which I worked up) and various schemes were authorised to make it all look god then when Serpell went away all the authorised schemes were quietly forgotten and the money allocated to them was spent on other things.

As usual the press was pumping out scare-stories which bore little resemblance to the reality of what was happening.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of changes to track layouts there are plans afoot to rationalise the track layout at St Blazey affecting the area where the double track from Par becomes single going past the signal box towards Pontsmill.

Some signals will also be removed as part of the scheme so get your photo's while you can,  before it all changes for the worse.

I'd have to check my records, but as I recall, the status before I retired was that the double track would stay, because of the need to be able to cross HSTs there on Summer Saturdays, if nothing else. I also wasn't aware that the 'mini-resignalling' that St Simon is working on (ie. additional IBSs but the boxes stay) called for any changes in the St Blazey signal box control area.

So is this something that the 'Asset Managers' in Swindon have put forward recently?

• RMweb Gold

Which in reality was totally incorrect - there were two lots of things going on and the BR position was completely different in that it was looking at economies in order to keep lines open if Serpell demanded certain levels of economy, which is what I was doing.  Br offered up various 'sacrifical' economy schemes, mainly singling (one of which I worked up) and various schemes were authorised to make it all look god then when Serpell went away all the authorised schemes were quietly forgotten and the money allocated to them was spent on other things.

As usual the press was pumping out scare-stories which bore little resemblance to the reality of what was happening.

I well remember the (rather quick) Rules exam I had in 1986, when the Inspector taking it said he had to get on down to Cornwall to supervise the singling of Probus to Burngullow - some 7 and a half miles, if I recall correctly.

A saving of £150,000 on track renewals was quoted at the time, something I've always remembered.

Best part of £14 million to put it all back in 2004, after 18 years of operating congestion and irritation.

• Like 4

I'd have to check my records, but as I recall, the status before I retired was that the double track would stay, because of the need to be able to cross HSTs there on Summer Saturdays, if nothing else. I also wasn't aware that the 'mini-resignalling' that St Simon is working on (ie. additional IBSs but the boxes stay) called for any changes in the St Blazey signal box control area.

So is this something that the 'Asset Managers' in Swindon have put forward recently?

Captain

No need to worry. Despite their attempts the double track layout is staying as it is at present. Phase 2 SSC has just got underway with 2019/20 the target. The red lines that i am sure you remember from the VFM meetings are very much still our red lines.

Regards

• Like 1

Ah, I see, you must come around, say hello and have a chat, I'm sat at one of the desks at the end of the corridor from the sighting room!

Simon

I will make sure i do. Which building are you in, the old post office or Davison House. We meet in both as I'm on the Oxford Project as well.

Regards

• Like 2

First internally refurbished Night Riviera Sleeper coach left Wolverton today. Should be road to OC then tripped down to us where it will stay a while for on train staff training before entry into service. Will update as and when but I'm off all next week so bear with !

• Like 1

Picture available from Knorr Bremse's Twitter.

Unfortunately I can't say I'm that impressed by it at all, with a rather cheap looking wardrobe with outward opening doors, the moving of the pillow to the other end of the cabin, a rather cheap looking sink / bin module which puts it next to the pillow, reduced storage space and a brown ceiling / brown and gold shelving unit. Corridor and Pantry not refurbished either. Considering the premium feel being offered within the new Caledonian Sleeper vehicles, it is perhaps more than a little disappointing that the GWR Vehicles look somewhat worse than either current offerings.

https://twitter.com/KBRailUK/status/830025568552882176

https://twitter.com/KBRailUK/status/830000786763571200

• RMweb Premium

The relocation of the pillow may only be for photographic effect.  In reality some passengers have chosen to do this themselves for many years.  I recall my unknown lower bunk-mate rearranging his Mk1 bedding thus which - for those who remember those vehicles - placed his head next to the potty.  I found that rather worrying.

Your head will be at the window end with the ladder at the other. My minions strip the beds daily and its rare for people to swap ends. Fear of being wacked by the folding top perhaps...!! These concerns were brought up in written reports but totally ignored by the design team - basically what they said went, refusing to listen. Whole thing is a mess as far as staff on the ground are concerned and we should have had a new build fleet.