KERNOW TODAY

• RMweb Gold

Things could of course go wrong with the running of these trains

One of the most galling incidents I can remember, back in the dark days of Railtrack, when I was in a similar 'Area managing' position, we (corporately, that is) managed to scratch the train itself, because the lackadasical idiots that supposedly ran our local infrastructure maintenance contractor's office had failed to arrange for the vegetation on the Falmouth branch to be trimmed back.

Thanks to all who responded to my question and made an interesting thread.  I never realised it was all so complicated; my impression was pick a good spot, back in and tie down for the night.  Perhaps not, but there is a lot more to the exercise which in this day and age with the internet, photographers, and rail cams.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Ah, memories!  I was in the BTP (now retired) and for a while I was on an explosive / search team and we travelled the length and breath of England and Wales on these and similar duties.

I was on this team on the occasion of Her Majesty's visit to Lostwithiel for the 800th anniversary of the town charter. 1989 as I recall? We actually searched and sealed several locations for that visit. The overnight stabling point was, I presume, the one you mentioned. The site would have been chosen by a PolSa who has various non railway criteria to adhere to. 

Anyway, security criteria apart, I think it was a lovely picturesque and interesting location. As indeed were the other locations we visited. I found Lostwithiel station and location enchanting. The stabling point, Long Rock depot and other points gave me a close up view of the railways in Cornwall. A night in a hotel in Lostwithiel and a night in a hotel in Penzance with a view of St Michael's Mount was like being on holiday! What had been a passing interest in Cornish railways and the county, now became a love affair!   

Bob.

Western Engineman.

Sounds as if you might have been at my first choice spot - the one the local BTP Inspector had originally turned down on our recce trip for new sights.  However I do know that on one occasion at that spot the PP did his usual vanishing trick and set off for an announced, unaccompanied, walk causing great chagrin to the assembled constabulary.

Oddly that particular BTP Inspector was an attendee years later at the only planning meeting for such events that i was present at and didn't take the Chair but by that time he was a Chief Supt as was another one I'd known as an inspector while the third one I'd also known as a Inspector was an ACC - somewhat discommoded my Director when the three of them greeted me by name as an old friend ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all who responded to my question and made an interesting thread.  I never realised it was all so complicated; my impression was pick a good spot, back in and tie down for the night.  Perhaps not, but there is a lot more to the exercise which in this day and age with the internet, photographers, and rail cams.

Brian

The fun bit in the 'old days' was the track pans - carried on the train but usually put in position by the local Perway gang when the train stabled and there to catch the you know what.  Cause of considerable consternation on one occasion when the loco was well and truly overpowered trying to shift the train next morning in order to get the PP to his normal alighting point.  So he had to walk an extra distance, including past the stabling site - where the track pans had been emptied less than sensibly and he trod in something slippery and smelly which sort of disturbed the start of the day.  This led to the PP's picnic breakfast being forgotten in the rush and it being sent 'in the care of the Guard' on a service train to Paddington where I had to meet it and then convey to the PP's London residence - the organisation on somebody's part was clearly rather good because as I drove towards the first police checkpoint I was really wondering what sort of reaction I'd get when I said I was returning the PP's breakfast whereas actually I'd barely opened my mouth before the copper on duty said 'ah, you're the bloke with the breakfast then?', and all went smoothly on my subsequent route to the Tradesman's Entrance.

• Like 4

Probably driven by the money-motived suits in Swindon, who want ever less infrastructure to have to maintain, unless someone has decided to dust off that awful FGW/GWR plan, which I strove for so long to defeat.

'Fraid so, Rich.

Who says it wasn't done properly last time, anyway?

The same is happening bit by bit in Cornwall by the same people. Crossover at St Erth removed, down sidings at Lostwithiel to be removed? The station sidings at Penzance by the car park  are down to one operational out of three, it goes on.

It is going to take a lot of juggling about at Truro in the coming weekends to turn passenger trains around, pass engineers trains and run the Falmouth trains in and out without any disruption.

Hardly any stabling sidings there either and the eastern connection into the sidings long gone.

Enjoying the tales of the Royal train (special train) which I have a few times been involved with over the  years, sadly my stories will not be revealed.  :=)

Is it true or myth that on one of Prince Charles visits one summer to Bodmin Road (as it was at the time) that prior to his visit the grassy areas on the platform were freshly painted green! The story goes that it was a hot, dry summer and the grass had turned brown and on a pre-visit inspection an official (who will remain nameless) arranged for the grass to be painted to look nice for the visitor!

I have heard this from several people and it always makes me chuckle, wonder if the Prince noticed!

Edited by RichardTrevithick

With all this interesting discussion about the Royal Train working I thought it was about time we had some pictures, not exactly Kernow Today as it was over 16 years ago but the best I can do.

So here are 3 views of 47798 Prince William arriving at Bodmin Parkway conveying HRH The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh starting a tour of Cornwall with a trip on The Bodmin Steam Railway.

[/url]47798 Prince William with the royal train arriving at Bodmin Parkway 15th June 2000. by mailrail, on Flickr">http://31880140512_abeb4cb850_b.jpg47798 Prince William with the royal train arriving at Bodmin Parkway 15th June 2000. by mailrail, on Flickr

[/url]47798 Prince William with the royal train arriving at Bodmin Parkway 15th June 2000. by mailrail, on Flickr">http://31187339274_41ce43ba15_b.jpg47798 Prince William with the royal train arriving at Bodmin Parkway 15th June 2000. by mailrail, on Flickr

[/url]47798 Prince William with the royal train arriving at Bodmin Parkway 15th June 2000. by mailrail, on Flickr">http://31911063101_a97355390c_b.jpg47798 Prince William with the royal train arriving at Bodmin Parkway 15th June 2000. by mailrail, on Flickr

Excellent pics.... looks like Inspector Nick Edwards in the secondman's seat, a top Hydraulic man, all round good egg and he passed me out for driving!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The same is happening bit by bit in Cornwall by the same people. Crossover at St Erth removed, down sidings at Lostwithiel to be removed? The station sidings at Penzance by the car park  are down to one operational out of three, it goes on.

It is going to take a lot of juggling about at Truro in the coming weekends to turn passenger trains around, pass engineers trains and run the Falmouth trains in and out without any disruption.

Hardly any stabling sidings there either and the eastern connection into the sidings long gone.

The eastern-end crossover at St Erth being removed was quite simply a con by the top suits in Swindon, as they promised that a new crossover would be put in place when the resignalling was done. Of course, they completely underestimated how much the 'full' scheme would cost, and had at least one round of 'cost cutting', which saw a previously very flexible and useful track layout (for the main line in Cornwall, at least), reduced to something that was effectively 'what you've got now but with bits missing'.

The Down sidings at Lostwithiel are DB Cargo infrastructure, albeit I know that the local PW use them from time to time (eg. stabling the RailVac), all by arrangement with the local DB Cargo chaps, something that has worked well in the past.

Despite my lobbying hard for retention of one of the Cattle Pens sidings, to keep tampers, the suits again got their way, and were seriously advocating the stabling of tampers in St Blazey Yard instead of Lostwithiel, with the consequential loss of productive work time in mid-week night possessions. All this was to supposedly 'justify' (in their own minds) the removal of the main line connection into the Down Yard at Lostwithiel. I know for a fact that the senior suits lobbied DB Cargo to get them to agree to close the Down Sidings.

The reduction of the sidings at Penzance station was effectively a compromise, a bit of horse-trading during the discussions about track layouts for the 'full' resignalling scheme. I again lobbied hard on behalf of various users of these sidings, especially charter trains and main line steam operators, as the NR suits originally wanted no sidings at Penzance at all. It came as something of a surprise to them that the Sea Siding was actually used every night by FGW/GWR!  Of course, staying in touch with the reality of day-to-day operations was a foreign concept to them, most of them barely even read the Control Log, let alone took time to understand and accept what infrastructure was actually needed on the ground.

So at least we have one siding left at Penzance next to Platform 4 (plus the Sea Siding), but I was always told that the end loading dock was effectively no longer used anyway.

However, these rationalisations were only supposed to take place with the full resignalling, there should be no need for them to be removed with this partial scheme that is now being implemented 'pro-tem'. Of course, the Track Engineers Asset Managers are hard-wired to want to keep rationalising their own assets. If left to their own devices, they'd eventually rationalise the whole railway away!

• 2 weeks later...

At noon today I observed a trailer with the upper part of the footbridge parked up in the A38 westbound layby on the Devon side of the Tamar Bridge.. Anyone know where it's headed? Seemed odd that it was on this side of the road!

Hi,

Here's a bit of a strange request for anybody around Liskeard Station!

As part of the re-signalling design, I've been working on the Looe Branch plan, I have heard that some of the points in Liskeard Yard next to Platform 3 have been plain lined, we have tried to get some info about it, but we haven't got that much on it.

Could someone PM me with an photos or information on this?

Regards,

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

As part of the re-signalling design, I've been working on the Looe Branch plan, I have heard that some of the points in Liskeard Yard next to Platform 3 have been plain lined, we have tried to get some info about it, but we haven't got that much on it.

Regards,

Simon

Let me ave a look when i'm in work tomoz and I'l email them to you Simon.

• RMweb Gold

There aren't any round there - they went years ago when the other branch signalbox was closed was closed

I was assuming Simon is talking about resignalling the whole area, not the branch specifically - which I think is what this next bit implies:

Don't worry Rich, you have a couple of years at leads before they go :)

Simon

Awwwww....

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Regards,

Simon

Simon,

Prior to my retirement, I agreed (reluctantly) a Network Change that saw the short loop reduced to a single-ended siding, which would have faced the Up Main connection, with the buffer stops at the Coombe Jct end. This was to save renewal of that set of points, and the resulting siding was to be used for on track machines, with the other, existing siding being retained for other operational purposes, which I am happy to elaborate on if you need further information. Needless to say, all of this was covered at the many, many meetings that the project team held with us operators and the TOCs, not that I expected any of them (the senior suits in the project team, I mean) to take notes or indeed respect the needs of our customers.

Simon,

Prior to my retirement, I agreed (reluctantly) a Network Change that saw the short loop reduced to a single-ended siding, which would have faced the Up Main connection, with the buffer stops at the Coombe Jct end. This was to save renewal of that set of points, and the resulting siding was to be used for on track machines, with the other, existing siding being retained for other operational purposes, which I am happy to elaborate on if you need further information. Needless to say, all of this was covered at the many, many meetings that the project team held with us operators and the TOCs, not that I expected any of them (the senior suits in the project team, I mean) to take notes or indeed respect the needs of our customers.

Hi Tim,

To be fair, we did have an email about the change to the sidings, which only took place over Christmas / early January I believe, which gave us information from the Section C notice, the problem being it listed Handpoint numbers, which we didn't know other than they were in Liskeard Yard (signalling plans didn't give us numbers of hand points, only motored points). So I just asked the question to see if someone could explain in plain English, which Gary H was able to do with some photos, but your information is given a little bit more info.

Do you know if it is a permanent arrangement, as our design shows the other end being plain lined as part of the re-sig?

Simon

Edited by St. Simon