KERNOW TODAY

Summer 2017 times for veg- ex class 57 with Night Riviera day coaches :

5p70 1015 long rock to st erth ecs 1023.

2p70 1028 st erth to Plymouth 1231.

2b75 1335 ply to Exeter.

2c51 1750 ex to pz 2111.

27 may to 9 sep. Subject to iep cascade, last season of running ??

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Summer 2017 times for veg- ex class 57 with Night Riviera day coaches :

5p70 1015 long rock to st erth ecs 1023.

2p70 1028 st erth to Plymouth 1231.

2b75 1335 ply to Exeter.

2c51 1750 ex to pz 2111.

27 may to 9 sep. Subject to iep cascade, last season of running ??

Nice to see it starting at St Erth, rather than further up, might get a chance to use it. 

Sorry to bring up a piece of Devon Rail in the Cornish thread again, but FGW/GWR have revealed their latest plan for Exeter Depot.

I'm sorry, while I understand the need for a better depot for the West Fleet, it's a shame that such a large and modern (and aesthetically dull) building looks set to be effectively plonked right next to the original GWR built station. Not only will those large buildings overshadow most of the station in the evening, it still looks like the depot will still only have one entry / exit road.

https://www.facebook.com/Railmagazine/photos/a.177925425633621.41254.171809916245172/1298717153554437/?type=3&theater

post-7515-0-40850300-1487969260_thumb.jpg

Sorry to bring up a piece of Devon Rail in the Cornish thread again, but FGW/GWR have revealed their latest plan for Exeter Depot.I'm sorry, while I understand the need for a better depot for the West Fleet, it's a shame that such a large and modern (and aesthetically dull) building looks set to be effectively plonked right next to the original GWR built station. Not only will those large buildings overshadow most of the station in the evening, it still looks like the depot will still only have one entry / exit road.https://www.facebook.com/Railmagazine/photos/a.177925425633621.41254.171809916245172/1298717153554437/?type=3&theater

Unfortunately the planners will pass anything these days. Sad times ahead.

Unfortunately the planners will pass anything these days. Sad times ahead.

Am I right in thinking that Network Rail are outside the planning system, and so can pretty much do what they want within the railway boundary - hence the many communities upset but helpless regarding ugly communications masts and OHLE?

• RMweb Gold

FGW/GWR have revealed their latest plan for Exeter Depot.

it's a shame that such a large and modern (and aesthetically dull) building looks set to be effectively plonked right next to the original GWR built station. Not only will those large buildings overshadow most of the station in the evening, it still looks like the depot will still only have one entry / exit road.

Well, I've made my views clear before, it could have turned out different to this had FGW adopted a different stance.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

Am I right in thinking that Network Rail are outside the planning system, and so can pretty much do what they want within the railway boundary - hence the many communities upset but helpless regarding ugly communications masts and OHLE?

As long as there is enough money passing under the table in a brown paper bag then the planners will pass anything through.

Sorry to bring up a piece of Devon Rail in the Cornish thread again, but FGW/GWR have revealed their latest plan for Exeter Depot.I'm sorry, while I understand the need for a better depot for the West Fleet, it's a shame that such a large and modern (and aesthetically dull) building looks set to be effectively plonked right next to the original GWR built station.

Nooooooooooooooooo! Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh!

Nuf said !

• RMweb Gold

As long as there is enough money passing under the table in a brown paper bag then the planners will pass anything through.

If only it were that cheap and easy then my job would be a doddle.

If there is anyone to blame for planning it is central government of all colours, planners only interpret planning laid down in statute.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

A question about operations for those in the know, when the Night Riveria comes into Penzance Platform 4, what happens to it? Does it sit there all day being service and a loco attaches onto the London end to take it away, or is there shunting that releases the loco from the stops?

Simon

Hi,

A question about operations for those in the know, when the Night Riveria comes into Penzance Platform 4, what happens to it? Does it sit there all day being service and a loco attaches onto the London end to take it away, or is there shunting that releases the loco from the stops?

Simon

I don't think it has used platform 4 for some time now even if the WTT still says it does.  I seem to remember the change to platform 1 was related to health and safety as a result of an investigation in the area a few years back following a crossing fatality.

Edited by Zoe

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it has used platform 4 for some time now even if the WTT still says it does. I seem to remember the change to platform 1 was related to health and safety as a result of an investigation in the area a few years back following a crossing fatality.

Which ever platform it uses the stock does not sit there all day. Passengers are allowed a decent interval to alight, the train is checked and it is then removed to Long Rock or, if needs be, Slopers Siding. The shunt move might use 08410 hauling stock plus loco or it may be propelled out by the train loco.

The stock is serviced in the depot for the next night and there might or might not be a locomotive changeover depending upon rosters and availability. On summer Saturday mornings the seated portion is detached and the rostered 57 leads it directly onto the main line at Long Rock crossing to form the VegEx to Exeter. Upon return to Penzance those coaches are propelled back to Long Rock and serviced before before being recoupled to the sleepers for the Sunday night up working.

The Long Rock - Penzance shunt move is often propelled into the platform but might be led by 08410 or, if available, a spare 57.

Edited by Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

Which ever platform it uses the stock does not sit there all day. Passengers are allowed a decent interval to alight, the train is checked and it is then removed to Long Rock or, if needs be, Slopers Siding. The shunt move might use 08410 hauling stock plus loco or it may be propelled out by the train loco.

The stock is serviced in the depot for the next night and there might or might not be a locomotive changeover depending upon rosters and availability. On summer Saturday mornings the seated portion is detached and the rostered 57 leads it directly onto the main line at Long Rock crossing to form the VegEx to Exeter. Upon return to Penzance those coaches are propelled back to Long Rock and serviced before before being recoupled to the sleepers for the Sunday night up working.

The Long Rock - Penzance shunt move is often propelled into the platform but might be led by 08410 or, if available, a spare 57.

Indeed.

Ive seen it propelled a few times by the train loco with the shunter in the lead coach in radio contact with the propelling loco's driver. IIRC, ive seen this at about 09.00 ish.

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks guys, most helpful, the WTT (or at least the one we are using) doesn't show any of the shunt moves of the stock, so we didn't know what happened to it!

Simon

The WTT (available on the NR website) shows 5C99 departing Penzance at 0915 on Mondays and 0822 on Tuesdays to Saturdays.