KERNOW TODAY

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone explain what exactly happens when all are unloaded and where does it all end up.

Brian.

Good question, Brian.

Far as I know it all goes out by road to various concrete mixing plants around the area. There seems to be one heck of a lot of house building going on around Cornwall and Devon at the mo and can only assume this is why its here.

• RMweb Premium

. There seems to be one heck of a lot of house building going on around Cornwall and Devon at the mo and can only assume this is why its here.

Among many other projects Hayle is set to virtually double in size, the equivalent of a new town is to be built at the back of Newquay and there are many medium-sized home-building schemes under way.  Here is not the place to argue the merits or otherwise of such things but the destruction of countryside and complete change in the character of some towns and villages is causing significant concern in some quarters.

Among many other projects Hayle is set to virtually double in size, the equivalent of a new town is to be built at the back of Newquay and there are many medium-sized home-building schemes under way.  Here is not the place to argue the merits or otherwise of such things but the destruction of countryside and complete change in the character of some towns and villages is causing significant concern in some quarters.

You have to provide all those Lunduners their weekend retreat somewhere!

It gives concern in this quarter to think that such development is spoiling the very thing that draws people to Cornwall; sprawling over development! I've not been home in a while and can only dread the changes. I am fortunate to remember the county as it was before crowds, traffic and development, when you could park in Fowey or Mevagissey and the only drawback were the Tamar ferries. So you might have taken the train over the bridge and arrived at your destination without the hassles of traffic tailbacks and overcrowded parking which only occurred after the many 'improvements' of the main roads. At least I can remember the good times!

Brian.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I would argue there were "good times" before the A30 road was dualled.  When Temple is finished they start on Carland - Chiverton and that will mean near-motorway standard road all the way to the Camborne by-pass.  Only the last few miles down to and around Hayle and on to Penzance and Lands End will remain single-carriageway.

When I bought the house in Hayle there were about 5000 permanent year-round residents and another 1000 or so in summer.  IT's now up to 7000 with a Government target of around 9500 and a huge number of homes under construction.  

The bus service has been improved from once to four times an hour but still only around half of all trains stop.  The station is a disgrace with nothing but a bare waiting hut without even a seat.  Hardly an encouragement to leave the car home.

Good question, Brian.

Far as I know it all goes out by road to various concrete mixing plants around the area. There seems to be one heck of a lot of house building going on around Cornwall and Devon at the mo and can only assume this is why its here.

There is also developments taking place in both Plymouth and Exeter City Centre's at the moment, so some concrete will no doubt be heading back into Devon - the terminal at Moorswater being a convenient point for the SW. Exeter's next big city centre development will being next year and see the Bus / Coach station site replaced with a new larger leisure centre, the bus station then moving to the former bus depot site and associated redevelopment around there.

Nice to see it running with another 21 Wagons today!

Bagged cement traffic should be possible with Colas - They took the remaining 'Ferrywaggons' out of Eastleigh a little while ago, and some are now in use in Scotland on the Aberdeen / Oxwellmains.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cement traffic to Exeter could surely be handled at Riverside?

Potentially, although the land area formerly leased to Colas Rail/Kronospan for the timber may yet still be formally leased to these parties.

The tricky bit about Riverside is the lack of much clear land next to one of the sidings that could be used to unload the cement wagons, and also without getting in the way of the Hanson aggregates operation. Some kind of portable, direct rail to road system would be best.

• RMweb Gold

Just think, Riverside was once large enough for anything!

Merry Christmas, Brian.

Well, Riverside wasn't really a goods loading or unloading yard, it was really more of a marshalling yard. 'Traditional' goods facilities were provided elsewhere in Exeter. At least Riverside still retains the majority of the roads that it originally had.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year likewise to you, Brian.

Potentially, although the land area formerly leased to Colas Rail/Kronospan for the timber may yet still be formally leased to these parties.

The tricky bit about Riverside is the lack of much clear land next to one of the sidings that could be used to unload the cement wagons, and also without getting in the way of the Hanson aggregates operation. Some kind of portable, direct rail to road system would be best.

Edited by Trackrat

• RMweb Gold

There are plans afoot to remodel riverside properly this time.

Probably driven by the money-motived suits in Swindon, who want ever less infrastructure to have to maintain, unless someone has decided to dust off that awful FGW/GWR plan, which I strove for so long to defeat.

Does that mean the timber traffic isn't running anymore?

'Fraid so, Rich.

There are plans afoot to remodel riverside properly this time.

Who says it wasn't done properly last time, anyway?

• Like 2

Probably driven by the money-motived suits in Swindon, who want ever less infrastructure to have to maintain, unless someone has decided to dust off that awful FGW/GWR plan, which I strove for so long to defeat.

'Fraid so, Rich.

Who says it wasn't done properly last time, anyway?

Which awful FGW / GWR Plan was that if you don't mind me asking CK?

• RMweb Gold

There was a darstardly plan to wipe out what is the only remaining viable large rail freight location in the South West that is still in NR's hands and convert it into a DMU depot, but it eventually (and only after a massive amount of argy-bargy) got kicked into touch.

Oi!! some of us put a lot of sweat into that job! :)

Quite right too, and a very job you chaps did at the time!

So do you know anything of the latest plan, Gary?

• RMweb Premium

There was a darstardly plan to wipe out what is the only remaining viable large rail freight location in the South West that is still in NR's hands and convert it into a DMU depot, but it eventually (and only after a massive amount of argy-bargy) got kicked into touch.

Quite right too, and a very job you chaps did at the time!

So do you know anything of the latest plan, Gary?

No, not heard anything about Riverside as yet Tim.

We re-laid the 2 stabling sidings on the down side by new yard for GW but apart from that not a lot in that area as yet.

That awful plan that meant we would have had a fit for purpose DMU depot with the required capacity, unlike the present depot which is far too small for the number of units which have to go through every night!

The plans for the new depot (on the present site) doesnt have any real extra capacity or flexibility either, and there are some serious operational issues with the plans as posted.