KERNOW TODAY

• RMweb Premium

Anyone waiting for the A4 to Par today should be aware that it has failed with a dud big end at Newton Abbot.  WCR 47832 is coming down from Bristol as we speak to remove the train.  The streak is in Hackney Yard.

It's a fascinating experience to be able to "watch" events unfold in real time via the numerous web sites and social media.  Facebook friends on the ground and in the industry plus Real Time Trains can make it feel as though I'm actually a part of things.

That's two steam failures on the Devon main line in a week. How many more before it all comes to an end?

Ed

sorry, that comes across as if I'm crowing, that is very far from the case. Perhaps the chasing diesel is a good idea, although if it's a 47 then it may simply double the chance of a failure.

Edited by edcayton

• RMweb Premium

Anyone waiting for the A4 to Par today should be aware that it has failed with a dud big end at Newton Abbot.  WCR 47832 is coming down from Bristol as we speak to remove the train.  The streak is in Hackney Yard.

It's a fascinating experience to be able to "watch" events unfold in real time via the numerous web sites and social media.  Facebook friends on the ground and in the industry plus Real Time Trains can make it feel as though I'm actually a part of things.

Oh dear, what a shame. After the Hemerdon problem the other week, mainline steam seems to be going through the mill a little lately.

• RMweb Premium

That's two steam failures on the Devon main line in a week. How many more before it all comes to an end?

Ed

Well in these days of assessing risk, one has to wonder.

60009 has been very reliable though over the last couple of years.

There is a certain risk though on any machine that is upwards of 40 years old, letalone one that was built in 1935!!

• RMweb Gold

There is a certain risk though on any machine that is upwards of 40 years old, letalone one that was built in 1935!!

Hmm, seems I missed one while away on the briny.  Anyway these things do happen but shouldn't in the best maintained circles - after all Great Western engineering skill solved the middle big end troubles of the Gresley pacifics over 60 years ago.  I realise lubrication problems can happen - and sometimes do - but continuous attention to the engine should minimise the risks of that.

I'm also rather surprised that a steam special should be allowed to advance that far into sparsely populated (with locos) country without a shadow trailing closely behind, was someone trying to save a few quid?

• RMweb Premium

So, what happens now?

Disconnect a (probably) centre coupling rod and tow the loco back??

Would they even be able to disconnect such a heavy component without a pit anyway?

And you wont get a lorry of the size needed into Hackney, not even close!!

• RMweb Gold

So, what happens now?

Disconnect a (probably) centre coupling rod and tow the loco back??

Would they even be able to disconnect such a heavy component without a pit anyway?

And you wont get a lorry of the size needed into Hackney, not even close!!

I'm sure they'll be working on a plan!

The road bridge restriction at Hackney is, of course, a real pain.

• RMweb Premium

For an in depth discussion on the pros and cons of trailing diesels refer to Nat Pres forum!

• RMweb Premium

60009 has now gone to Totnes SDR.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O18945/2015/08/16/advanced

Ed

sorry, that comes across as if I'm crowing, that is very far from the case. Perhaps the chasing diesel is a good idea, although if it's a 47 then it may simply double the chance of a failure.

I don't think it was taken like that Ed, certainly not by me anyway.

Edited by Gary H

Agree with Rick in Oz.  Those of us in foreign climes are lucky to participate virtually immediately with the internet and sites such as this one.

Question.  In view of the tightness of pathing these days, how does a relief engine fit in with little notification?

Brian

A member of staff on the train reported that it was in fact a hot axle box. There were concerns about the A4 prior to leaving Bristol on Sunday morning and  "Britannia" was on standby to replace it. Bet WCR wish they did replace it now.   

47832 ran from Bristol to Newton Abbot then worked the special to Par. 

Edited by RichardTrevithick

Interesting - do these problems develop very quickly? I saw the train pass Bridgwater earlier when it appeared to be going very well and then, almost literally, chased down to Devon where we saw it between Bishopsteignton and Kingsteignton, only a mile or so from Newton, where it also looked (admittedly from a distance) that it was going pretty well. It appears,as of 22.45, the return train hasn't quite made it back to Bristol yet - a long day out!

• RMweb Premium

Other observers have noted 60009 was apparently OK at Taunton and Tiverton Junction.  RTT shows she left the Tiverton loop stop well ahead of time.  So far no-one that I'm aware of has posted a report from Exeter or the sea wall.

Big end and hot box problems build up - they aren't usually instant - but can go undetected for a while.  Is the GW main line equipped with detectors down there?  One might have been triggered and that's all it takes.

Other observers have noted 60009 was apparently OK at Taunton and Tiverton Junction.  RTT shows she left the Tiverton loop stop well ahead of time.  So far no-one that I'm aware of has posted a report from Exeter or the sea wall.

Big end and hot box problems build up - they aren't usually instant - but can go undetected for a while.  Is the GW main line equipped with detectors down there?  One might have been triggered and that's all it takes.

Steam trains nearly always trigger hot axle box detectors so in most cases these are "false" activations. I suspect that the footplate crew had an idea that all was not well.

It's a shame whatever. We get few railtours down here now as it is. Despite the excellent relationship when Nunney and Braunton were stabelled at Long Rock, timetable and turning constraints make life difficult for organising tours. PZ turntable asked for as part of revamp of depot.... .

Changing direction slightly, our buses will have changed by the time the HSTs go too. First Devon & Cornwall is now First South West and Camborne based and the new disabled access regs mean it's goodbye to some single deck celebrity liveries by the end of the year and most double decks will be replaced too by 2018. With the proposed devolution they may be franchised bringing more changes.

It's all change !

Edited by Chy Mengrowyn Paul

I have a feeling you'll be lucky to get a turntable, revamp or no.  The powers that be don't seem interested in such frivolities if St Blazey is any example..

Please can anyone answer my question in #110 about pathing  -  I have no real knowledge of the subject!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Question.  In view of the tightness of pathing these days, how does a relief engine fit in with little notification?

Brian

With difficulty sometimes but with the experience signallers have they would have done it with little effort. Luckily it was a Saturday which may or may not have helped. What would not help is the fact that being a light loco move its restricted to 75 MPH.

(light loco's with no train in tow have poor braking capabilities hence the 75 restriction. they are restricted to 60 MPH if the line speed is 85 MPH or less)

Line speed between BTM and Exeter is  predominantly 100 MPH with a little 110 MPH in the middle so its easy for a light loco to delay normal passenger trains.

There are however a few loops it could be put inside on the way for faster traffic to pass it and so keep any impact on normal trains to a minimum.

• RMweb Gold

We saw UofSA at Starcross 20 mins early and still seeming well.

With difficulty sometimes but with the experience signallers have they would have done it with little effort. Luckily it was a Saturday which may or may not have helped. What would not help is the fact that being a light loco move its restricted to 75 MPH.

(light loco's with no train in tow have poor braking capabilities hence the 75 restriction. they are restricted to 60 MPH if the line speed is 85 MPH or less)

Line speed between BTM and Exeter is  predominantly 100 MPH with a little 110 MPH in the middle so its easy for a light loco to delay normal passenger trains.

There are however a few loops it could be put inside on the way for faster traffic to pass it and so keep any impact on normal trains to a minimum.

A light engine going to rescue a failed train is given priority and is allowed an uninterrupted run and is signalled as 1Z99. As UofSA on Sunday was failed in a platform at Newton Abbot rather than say at Teignmouth for example it is debatable if 47832 was going to "clear the line" or not as other trains managed  to be re-platformed at Newton Abbot.

Nevertheless there were significant delays and disruption to other services. 

A set of pictures from a few of the nice days in August - outweighed by the days of appalling weather.

66078 on the Treviscoe clays

post-2613-0-58661100-1440102386_thumb.jpeg

A piece of fortune or rotten luck at Gover? 

post-2613-0-61481600-1440102402_thumb.jpeg

The former trackbed in Drinninck wharf

post-2613-0-78372400-1440102469_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-26346500-1440102488_thumb.jpeg

The twins on the St Ives branch at Lelant

post-2613-0-89641300-1440102528_thumb.jpeg

A Sunday morning shot of 1S59 at St Blazey. The CDAs on the left are due to be cut up soon.

post-2613-0-19745500-1440102581_thumb.jpeg

Finally, a typical scene of late. FGW class 57s in trouble. Here's 605 hitching a lift to Penzance with 602 after an over night failure at Newton Abbot. Takne at Trenowth with the farmers permission.

post-2613-0-76774700-1440102643_thumb.jpeg

• Like 14