KERNOW TODAY

And yer tiz heading west

57604 stopped near Doublebois with fire bells sounding. The train limped onto Par where two pwer cars were attached to the now detrained rake & errant loco. 

The set left Par at 09.58 as is pictured heading West to Long Rock at Crugwallins West of Burngullow. 

post-2613-0-81638700-1441448427_thumb.jpeg
  • Like 10

With me onboard ! The auxiliary electrics also cut out on the loco and despite resetting, the bells continued. No Par to Exeter,return for obvious reasons. Train reliability for the summer Saturday was 100% until today. Full survey for this season will have its own thread in a day or so. It's mostly 303 !

Nice shot. 43163, 43030.

Edited by Chy Mengrowyn Paul

I see the power cars off the sleeper returned to Laira so fingers crossed that the engineering staff at Long Rock can fix the errant 57 in time for Sunday night.

As an aside I have been told that forthcoming engineering work near Lostwithiel will result in no train services running between Par & Liskeard for four Sundays starting from 13th September. As far as I know rail replacement bus services are operating to / from St Austell with trains continuing to Par to turn round and go back to Penzance (although passengers to / from Par will be able to use these trains).     

I was told a while ago that Colas Rail are involved in renewals work which would explain the recent appearances of 70802 so maybe a few Colas loco's to look out for in the area. Make a welcome & colourful change from the usual fayre if this is correct.

Edited by RichardTrevithick

I did a day return from Crewe yesterday for that........doh. But never mind I did get some nice pictures of the Cornish scene that I'll post later including the power cars returning light and then being pushed into service from Plymouth to Paddington.

Also if anybody knows Chris in the Par box, what a lovely bloke, professional with his job but full of interesting information to me with regards to myself understanding signalling. If you do know him pass on my regards please  :sungum:

• Like 1

1C83, the 1305 Paddington - Penzance HST passes Hallenbeagle engine house at Scorrier on September 1 with 43153 leading.

attachicon.gifHallenbeagle HST.jpg

Lovely shot that Keith, very nice! An updated version of the Bradford Barton Cornish Mainline album cover shot with 805 'Benbow' in the same spot... is it easy / safe to park up nearby? I'll be going down there very soon ;)

Lovely shot that Keith, very nice! An updated version of the Bradford Barton Cornish Mainline album cover shot with 805 'Benbow' in the same spot... is it easy / safe to park up nearby? I'll be going down there very soon ;)

Thanks, yes its pretty easy to get to. I park on the bridge over the A30 and the railway and walk down the gravel path, which follows the perimeter of the new industrial park. You can see the engine house all the way round so it's easy to navigate.

There used to be a shorter route from the Plume of Feathers pub by the A30 but I don't know if this part of the path has reopened yet.

• RMweb Gold

I was told a while ago that Colas Rail are involved in renewals work which would explain the recent appearances of 70802 so maybe a few Colas loco's to look out for in the area. Make a welcome & colourful change from the usual fayre if this is correct.

I suspect that they are supplying the locos and drivers for the engineering trains, but the actual renewals work is being done by the renewals section of the Plymouth-based maintenance organisation.

Here is one of my photos of the last Royal Duchy to Cornwall of 2015 on Sunday. Worked by 90000 Britannia from Bristol Temple Meads to Par, it then used the turntable at St Blazey and returned later in the day.

Seen here crossing the viaduct at St Germans, I'm very pleased with this shot and glad I went to St Germans, high tide, sun and steam :)

21217124172_ceca7ccd11_c.jpg

Edited by marky7890
  • Like 12