The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Panic over Re: Norton Security.

The "Dowloader" program from Win 7 was still there.

When I clicked it it said that this did not work with this OS. "Download Latest Version" Which I did.

Ran it. Reports that NIS needs a new version. Downloaded that.

It installed and now works correctly, It even updated my subscription to the new version.

Happy Bunny again.

Everything else on Win 10 seems to work OK.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just started on SWMBOs Laptop (Two months old Win 8.1)

Disaster.

Firstly that damn Mcafee program blocked it even though the 30 days free trial period has expired. ( I thought that was the end of it!)

After shutting that down Win 10 said checking for updates - 20 mins later it was still checking for updates.

Won't go any further. I wonder whether that pestilence of a program is still interfering.

IMHO someone should bomb Mcafee they are a PitA.

My Brother in Law had a full subscription version of McAfee - He dumped it before the time was up as it was so awful.

Keith

wrt Tescos offer, seems good value, but for not much more, I bought a microsoft lumia 640 phone. about a month ago, intending to write software for it. Has an excellent camera, sat nav, etc. it will upgrade to win10 phone in November, iirc. Even without the phone sim, using it as a tablet, it is very useful, so my kindle, samsung tablet and tom-tom sat nav will now be redundant. You can download the maps over wifi, and do not need 3g/4g enabled.

• RMweb Premium

For removing programs I don't want, I use 'revo uninstaller' the free version, used it for years . It can go deeper than the usual 'own software' uninstall, but you need to be careful http://www.revouninstaller.com/

hth,

Best wishes,

Ray

I found that even after "expiring" McAfee was consuming 40% of the processing power and quite a lot of memory so I am now uninstalling it through Windows Uninstall, That is taking ages!

As far as I am concerned it is justed bloated malware.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Just started on SWMBOs Laptop (Two months old Win 8.1)

Disaster.

Firstly that damn Mcafee program blocked it even though the 30 days free trial period has expired. ( I thought that was the end of it!)

After shutting that down Win 10 said checking for updates - 20 mins later it was still checking for updates.

Won't go any further. I wonder whether that pestilence of a program is still interfering.

IMHO someone should bomb Mcafee they are a PitA.

My Brother in Law had a full subscription version of McAfee - He dumped it before the time was up as it was so awful.

Keith

I would recommend removing any anti-virus you have before the upgrade and activating Windows Defender.  That should allow the upgrade to go smoothly.  Once you're done, you could re-install your alternative anti-virus product after downloading the latest version from the manufacturer's web-site.

• RMweb Premium

I would recommend removing any anti-virus you have before the upgrade and activating Windows Defender.  That should allow the upgrade to go smoothly.  Once you're done, you could re-install your alternative anti-virus product after downloading the latest version from the manufacturer's web-site.

Yes, doing that.

The downloads were many times faster once McAfee was out of the equation.

The laptop is however quite a lot slower at doing any of it than my "old" (2007) desktop!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Things have suddenly gone from bad to worse.

The old desktop won't boot into Win10 at all now and the laptop after a promising start is still at it 3 hours later!

So that I had a working image of the new Win10 install I tried to make a disk image using Clonezilla so that I had something to re-install from.

Clonezilla went happily about 80% of the way and then stopped saying "Cannot read from source disk" and aborted.

I went back to Win 10 which partly booted and then said it couldn't continue because a file was missing

Booted up the ISO image DVD and attempted a repair "unable to repair this Windows installation"

"Re-install"?

Tried to do that "unable to access Hard Disk as it is locked"

What does that mean?

Keith

Well this is worrying/annoying. It seems that my Upgrade to Windows 10 Home has failed continually. I haven't given Micro$oft the slightest hint that I may even be remotely interested in upgrading to Windows 10. In fact I have absolutely no intention of doing it, but it seems to be trying to install it every morning when I turn on my computer. That's MY computer, not bloody Micro$oft's computer! So what the hell is going on, and how do I stop it?

post-7091-0-97670500-1439414473_thumb.jpg

post-7091-0-40582300-1439414758.jpg

• RMweb Premium

PS: if you were running Clonezilla from inside Win-10 I fully understand it failed: you can't clone a working system :rolleyes:  Source a decent, recent USB stick (min 1 GB, preferably 4 GB), download this tool, run it and select SystemRescueCD to install on said USB stick. Boot faulty PC from USB stick and take it from there. :yes:

I was using Clonezilla as a ISO CD ROM, booting directly from the optical drive, selecting from the list of HDDs shown and telling it to do an image of that partition.

It reported that 59Gb of 250Gb was used and proceeded to copy.

It gave an estimate of 8mins 30s but when a fair way through it said something was unable to be copied and promptly aborted.

Going back to the original HDD as a boot device, Win 10 started part way and then said a file was missing, suggesting using the installation media to do a repair.

I booted up from the ISO DVD I have of Win 10 and went into repair. It said it couldn't repair the problem.

I tried a re-install and it said the disk was locked.

The laptop has updated Win 10 correctly from Win 8.1 after 4 1/2 hours, a good proportion of which seemed to be updating the new Win 10, the were 109 updates!

It seems to be faster doing tasks and is more like an updated Win 7 than Win 8

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Google for whatever your problem is - e.g. 'I don't want windows 10 but it keeps trying to install'  someone will have a solution, but most likely not Microsoft.  Anyway, you may own the hardware, but you do not own the software.

But that's all about people who WANT to install it but can't. Not when it's happening to someone who DOESN'T WANT IT!

It sounds like you have updates set to be installed automatically. From your previous post it appears you are using Windows 7.

Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Windows Update > Change Settings.

On the box for Important Updates does it say "Install updates automatically (recommended)"

If so click the box and select "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

Click the OK button.

In the future you will get a message on the task bar telling you updates are available and you are in control.

It sounds as if you have update KB3035583 installed, take a look at this site for options

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/prevent-windows-10-upgrade-installing-after-making-your-reservation

Best of luck

Brian G.

I've found a program called "I Don't Want Windows 10" that removes that irritating KB3035583 update, and seems to work.

https://github.com/rn10950/I-Dont-Want-Windows-10/releases/

It seems that the upgrade is downloaded into C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads, and some advice on fixing the upgrade problem was to delete this and let it try downloading again, so I've deleted it. I've set up a shortcut on my desktop so I can easily check if anything sneakily appears in there. In fact while I've been typing this new files have appeared there!

That may well not the the right way to go about it, but if it works it will do. Life's too short to waste it messing about with computers any more than I have to. I've spent too long doing that!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

An Acer tablet that had windows 7 took all day today to install Windows 10, me eventually having to unplug it from the mains to go home but by the time I had got on the train I was finished and just needed the password for the final bits of set up.

Changed the settings for tablets . It's now working much better than it it in a Windows 7.

So far I am pleased with it.

I thought I'd give it a go last night, currently on W7 here.

I got a box up with a whirly circle thing and a "working on it now" message...it stayed like that for nearly 3 hours before I lost hope and baled out.

Having read a few negative points from various sources today I think I'll give it a miss, for the time being at least...