Kernow Model Rail Centre - Bulleid Diesel

WDP4D

I finally saw one of the models in the flesh at the Wakefield show this weekend on the DC Kits stand.

My overall view was that is a very impressive model, the bogies in particular are superb.

I had a couple of small reservations, the side grills being moulded not etched, although it is quite possible someone will make an etch to allow detailing if people want to do that, and the moulding is quite nice anyway.  The other was that I felt the roof was a little short on detail and relief on the square hatch, or its surround above the end away from the side grill. The roof compares favourably with the Silverfox body, and there is a real scarcity of photographs showing the top at all. There is a photo of 10202 with the roof hatches open, which does mean that the raised sections should perhaps have more paneling detail than on the model, but this might be a can of worms for a manufacturer as solid evidence of the roof detail is only really implied from such photos. There is also quite bit of play on the bogie wheels, which I am told makes railing the model a little faffy, but then this should also mean they are flexible and will cope with all kinds of track.

The rood fan grill is etched, and very nicely done.

Although I had these small reservations, the main impression of of a very sturdy model, lovely cabs with the windows have just the right feel, good shape overall on the body, nicely added headcode discs and hand rails. Well applied livery. It feels heavy, and I would suspect it will have some good pulling power.

But back to the bogies, they are spot on, great relief, the detail is excellent, they are absolutely amazing, they feel big and heavy, they look ,like they have been forged from girders, they steal the model for me. Although loco prices have gone up over the least couple of years, in today's market it did feel like a lot of loco for your money.

I will have to decide if I want to upgrade from the Silverfox conversion kit I built last year of 10202 when the green liveried versions become available.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 2

I finally saw one of the models in the flesh at the Wakefield show this weekend on the DC Kits stand.

My overall view was that is a very impressive model, the bogies in particular are superb.

I had a couple of small reservations, the side grills being moulded not etched, although it is quite possible someone will make an etch to allow detailing if people want to do that, and the moulding is quite nice anyway.  The other was that I felt the roof was a little short on detail and relief on the square hatch, or its surround above the end away from the side grill. The roof compares favourably with the Silverfox body, and there is a real scarcity of photographs showing the top at all. There is a photo of 10202 with the roof hatches open, which does mean that the raised sections should perhaps have more paneling detail than on the model, but this might be a can of worms for a manufacturer as solid evidence of the roof detail is only really implied from such photos. There is also quite bit of play on the bogie wheels, which I am told makes railing the model a little faffy, but then this should also mean they are flexible and will cope with all kinds of track.

The rood fan grill is etched, and very nicely done.

Although I had these small reservations, the main impression of of a very sturdy model, lovely cabs with the windows have just the right feel, good shape overall on the body, nicely added headcode discs and hand rails. Well applied livery. It feels heavy, and I would suspect it will have some good pulling power.

But back to the bogies, they are spot on, great relief, the detail is excellent, they are absolutely amazing, they feel big and heavy, they look ,like they have been forged from girders, they steal the model for me. Although loco prices have gone up over the least couple of years, in today's market it did feel like a lot of loco for your money.

I will have to decide if I want to upgrade from the Silverfox conversion kit I built last year of 10202 when the green liveried versions become available.

Jamie

Thank you for that reassuring assessment. The aluminium paint on the bogies of these early diesels and electrics show up any shortcomings in the bogies mercilessly. Hatton’s 10000/1 and Olivia’s EM1 and EM2 fell victim to this. Fortunately, Rails’ 10000/1 turned out well. It looks as if these will too. Phew!

• Like 2

I had a couple of small reservations, the side grills being moulded not etched, although it is quite possible someone will make an etch to allow detailing if people want to do that, and the moulding is quite nice anyway. 

Jamie

For history sakes, it seems that etches for side grills does not always bring extre fineness that people (psychologically) think it does. I give 3 examples:

1/ Heljans revamped class 33/0 had etches (the original attempt did not) --> they were heavily criticized at the holes being too big in the etches

2/ Olivia's EM1, it is not instantly obvious these are etches until you handle it when they almost collapse under your grip. I'm not convinced the model looks better for them. The model was very expensive upon release, some 50% more than other RTR modern image models

3/ Rapido owner has stated that he can get finer detail with injection molding than via etches.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

For history sakes, it seems that etches for side grills does not always bring extre fineness that people (psychologically) think it does. I give 3 examples:

1/ Heljans revamped class 33/0 had etches (the original attempt did not) --> they were heavily criticized at the holes being too big in the etches

2/ Olivia's EM1, it is not instantly obvious these are etches until you handle it when they almost collapse under your grip. I'm not convinced the model looks better for them. The model was very expensive upon release, some 50% more than other RTR modern image models

3/ Rapido owner has stated that he can get finer detail with injection molding than via etches.

I definitely agree with that, I've hung on to my older 33/0's as I find the new grilles unacceptably coarse - at least the original roof section isn't obvious from all angles! 

• Like 2

Good points about the grills, I am probably overly influenced in my replacing them on the Silverfox body.

Bullied32.jpg

Bullied66.jpg

The ones on the model looked pretty good, and if people want to go the etched route, then there is always the opportunity to get out a file and fettle it.

I think out of the box people will find it a very impressive model, sharper and cleaner than doing a conversion kit.

Jamie

• Like 2

Fairly recently I decided to get a discounted EM2 (thinking that no-one else is likely to produce one, more’s the pity). The grills were obviously etched – two of them, along with other bits, had fallen off.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just collected my 10201... I need to find a parking spot now in warley to have a look at it :-)

Ditto...And try the station car park over the bridge.God it is heavy.....tried carrying it round with me but gave up and took it back to the car for storage.About to give it a run..Home now.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ditto...And try the station car park over the bridge.God it is heavy.....tried carrying it round with me but gave up and took it back to the car for storage.About to give it a run..Home now.

Just road tested it. All I can say is.....reach for the superlatives.Beautifully finished .Weighs like an artillery shell ...powerful,smooth,silent.Now on a "Bournemouth Belle " turn ,herding 8 Hornby Pullmans with which it toys.This is one cracking,fabulous model which truly stands apart from the crowd.In fact it feels a bit like a Korean brass creation.Only thing,Chris,,please can I have the paperwork to go with it.?

That of course is small potatoes. Take a bow,Kernow.....just like she was at the South Bank exhibition in 1951.Oliver Bulleid would be delighted as am I to be reacquainted with her in miniature some 66 years on.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

You lot are toying with my sensibilities ;)

I wasn't going to invest having neither space nor apparent need for one of these.  But ongoing resistance is apparently futile especially as ongoing funding for the collection is now guaranteed.

• Like 1

You lot are toying with my sensibilities ;)

I wasn't going to invest having neither space nor apparent need for one of these. But ongoing resistance is apparently futile especially as ongoing funding for the collection is now guaranteed.

I feel the same. I have a medium sized branch line layout with the top motive power being my light Pacific’s and I doubt one these ever appeared. Yet I’m sorely tempted.

Big james

• RMweb Gold

You are all very bad people. I have spent the last two years convincing myself I was not going to buy one of these. Now you lead me into temptation, either by showing photos, extolling their virtues or just by being weak yourselves.

I’m off to look down the back of the sofa and raid the children’s piggy banks ;-)

Roy

• Like 1

Just road tested it. All I can say is.....reach for the superlatives.Beautifully finished .Weighs like an artillery shell ...powerful,smooth,silent.Now on a "Bournemouth Belle " turn ,herding 8 Hornby Pullmans with which it toys.This is one cracking,fabulous model which truly stands apart from the crowd.In fact it feels a bit like a Korean brass creation.Only thing,Chris,,please can I have the paperwork to go with it.?

That of course is small potatoes. Take a bow,Kernow.....just like she was at the South Bank exhibition in 1951.Oliver Bulleid would be delighted as am I to be reacquainted with her in miniature some 66 years on.

Ian   sound  version>?

• RMweb Gold

You are all very bad people. I have spent the last two years convincing myself I was not going to buy one of these. Now you lead me into temptation, either by showing photos, extolling their virtues or just by being weak yourselves.

I’m off to look down the back of the sofa and raid the children’s piggy banks ;-)

Roy

If you don’t want to be further lead into temptation, don’t click this link...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118587-warley-national-model-railway-exhibition-25th26th-november-2017/?p=2936829

But if you do.. you’ll find I didn’t even carry the model a 100m before having a peek..

• RMweb Premium

I wonder which parts of the country these Bullied diesels will be seeing now, in our 4mm to the foot world? I made an impromptu purchase of 10202 from the Kernow stand at Warley today, couldn’t resist such a lovely model. She will look fine working on the GC London extension.... (!)

You know what happens on long dark cold winter evenings? Yes?

Well I logged on and ordered a green 10203. ;)

I did that almost as soon as I read the spec. for these things! I had to wait a month after adding 10202. Why doesn’t the government subsidise railway modelling? After all, it subsidises the full-size thing. 1/76 of HS2 would do. Bring manufacturing back to the UK, provide well-paid skilled employment and ease my conscience which troubles me because I send so much money to China from an economy nearing crisis.

Er, sorry about that outburst. I meant to say that I’ve ordered 10203 in green too.

• Like 1

I wonder which parts of the country these Bullied diesels will be seeing now, in our 4mm to the foot world? I made an impromptu purchase of 10202 from the Kernow stand at Warley today, couldn’t resist such a lovely model. She will look fine working on the GC London extension.... (!)

Well, '201 and '202 were transferred to Manchester Brewery Sidings depot along side 10000 and 10001. 

They are working parcels and fitted trains over the Pennines.

I saw the real things work as a boy. 

The model makes the same impression on me as the real beasts did!!!

Chris.

• Like 1

On my Hunston Beach layout, (a take on Hunstanton), 10000 & 10001 are already in stock for working M&GN trains from Leicester to the coast, along with a class 28, 44, 27 and a part built GT3. As the closure of the route was refused, oddball diesels ousted from their intial workings ( and often Leicester based anyway) were drafted in. 10201 is waiting to be delivered - I wonder when?

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Mine will be taking ex-SR specials over the Tottenham & Hampstead to Billy Graham rallies at Haringey Stadium, then moving on empty to reverse the train at Stratford. 

Edited by Downer
  • Like 1