Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

Indeed. I have always been religious about my speed when the road sign is white with a red ring around it because its there for a very good reason, especially if its got a yellow background which means the road has a history of KSI's.

I used to think that but I'm getting increasingly sceptical (I'm not saying that I exceed them though). Why has a road got that accident record? If it's due to junctions with bad sighting for example then a speed limit reduction seems highly appropriate, if its because motorbikes routinely try to go around the corners with their knees on the ground perhaps reducing the NSL limit to 40 or 50 and parking camera vans on the stretches where no-one would've batted an eyelid at 60mph a few years ago isn't the best way to get people to respect them.

Definitely a case of style over function on the Evoque's letterbox windows.

Though it sounds like she wouldn't have noticed you even if she was driving a greenhouse.

There is that possibility.

She'd indicated from slip road into lane 2 then stopped indicating before taking my lane as I was about to pass the car in front of her.

At least she moved across steadily, not a quick flick like some small vans do

Quite glad of the van that blocked me from moving to lane 2 as it cleared otherwise I might have regretted my actions.

• Like 1

I used to think that but I'm getting increasingly sceptical (I'm not saying that I exceed them though). Why has a road got that accident record? If it's due to junctions with bad sighting for example then a speed limit reduction seems highly appropriate, if its because motorbikes routinely try to go around the corners with their knees on the ground perhaps reducing the NSL limit to 40 or 50 and parking camera vans on the stretches where no-one would've batted an eyelid at 60mph a few years ago isn't the best way to get people to respect them.

Perhaps we ought to try the somewhat macabre idea seen in parts of France; at the site of fatal accidents, a black silhouette (sometimes edged in red) is erected for each fatality. Sadly, it doesn't stop people driving like idiots, and being attacked by 'dangerous trees'. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Last night whilst going up a hill with parked cars dotted either side of the road a very nice lady (40's or older) driver gave me the right of way, exactly as my dad instructed me to give way to those going up a hill. There are considerate drivers out there,

Are youngsters taught road driving manners/etiquette these days ?

In my case - yes.

"Right of way" is not the best term to use as it promotes a "me only and s*d every one else". "Having the priority" is a better phrase, but be prepared for some d*ckhead to take it from you.

IMO, the number of older drivers forgetting the uphill priority is on the increase. There are areas in Blackburn where the local driving population simply view downhill as a means to go even faster......

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

.....Wider pillars to give better roll I've strength, better insulation to remove road noise

=

Bigger blind spots and less able to hear what's around with drivers refusing to use their other senses to compensate or even use their eyes....

This goes back to what I wrote earlier about modern "safer" car design reducing spatial awareness (though some people never had this awareness anyway).

Definitely a case of style over function on the Evoque's letterbox windows...

The Evoque looks like somebody, when looking for an avantgarde design, trained an elephant to sit on the back end of the roof.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

This thread will soon be as old as my Cabstar (18 years) and with just as many holes in it. 

I work on the basis that every driver on the road is a blind deaf idiot who is on the phone, so far it's worked well for me and with the A1 at the end of our road I actually see quite a few drivers that fit the description well.

• Like 2

Sadly; looking at the general standards of transport drivers, I'm not sure that I would expect their companies  to be "very strict" about driving standards so I'm glad to know that yours is. Amongst the worst easily identifiable offenders round here seem to be those driving for Royal Mail. I've learnt to give them a very wide berth.

Didn't you know it is the Queens mail and you have to get out of the way ;) I know my driving is worse when I'm driving my 'Red Menace' van due to the ridiculous amounts you are expected to get delivered. I guess all couriers are the same. Your workload is based on no other cars on the road and a free parking space outside every call. If you complain you always get told 'I'm sure plenty of others would be happy to have your job'.

When I joined RM to drive their vans you had to take a 3 hour driving test with the AA in 3 different size vans. Now a licence is good enough. 

Gareth

Didn't you know it is the Queens mail and you have to get out of the way ;) I know my driving is worse when I'm driving my 'Red Menace' van due to the ridiculous amounts you are expected to get delivered. I guess all couriers are the same. Your workload is based on no other cars on the road and a free parking space outside every call. If you complain you always get told 'I'm sure plenty of others would be happy to have your job'.

When I joined RM to drive their vans you had to take a 3 hour driving test with the AA in 3 different size vans. Now a licence is good enough. 

Gareth

It's not actually the local delivery vans that concern me but the HGVs carrying the bulk mail that largely used to go by train.

If road accidents were investigated with the same vigour as rail and air accidents then a lot of employers would find themselves on the sticky end of enquiries.

• RMweb Gold

As of this morning I have a scuff on my bike jacket from a woman in a brand new range river evoque who continued to move into my lane on the motorway (lane 3) having come right across from the slip road despite my horn being held down and me braking as much as i dare with a transit sniffing my tail pipes did she notice?

If she did she pretended not to by looking dead ahead.

Wider pillars to give better roll I've strength, better insulation to remove road noise

=

Bigger blind spots and less able to hear what's around with drivers refusing to use their other senses to compensate or even use their eyes.

With older cars you could hear more of what was going on around you, you could see more from your default driving position, modern cars you need to move more to ensure you see

The only way to cut down on "thoughtless" driving and incidents is to make it mandatory that all vehicles have their glass removed and a 12 inch dagger mounted in the middle of the steering wheel, that would focus peoples attention.

Mike.

• Like 1

Perhaps we ought to try the somewhat macabre idea seen in parts of France; at the site of fatal accidents, a black silhouette (sometimes edged in red) is erected for each fatality. Sadly, it doesn't stop people driving like idiots, and being attacked by 'dangerous trees'. 

We have 'ghost bikes' for cyclists. Next time you see an old bike painted white chained up by the side of the road that's what it means.

• RMweb Premium

On a lighter note, returning from RailWells there was an accident on the M5 which caused great delays and one of the DRAG vehicles had been stationary for 20 minutes in the middle lane when the bloke in the car in front got out 'because he had to' and ran down the embankment etc.. Well it was obvious what happened next. His lady clambered over to the driving seat and started to drive on so as not to cause a further delay.

In the rear view mirror there was the sight of this chap running along the hard shoulder to catch up! 

A question of law here...no pedestrians on the motorway...could he have been prosecuted?.....  :P

No, because the copper would have been too busy laughing his head off at the sight.

Recent occurrence with another instructor at work. In a a lgv being driven by a novice driver, as we do.

Climbing a notorious hill locally, came up behind a tractor pulling a trailer loaded with a vintage vehicle on it.

Tractor was climbing quite slowly, about 5mph, as one would expect.

No clear opportunity for our vehicle to overtake, so they plodded along behind.

By now, impatient line of traffic behind, too.

Instructor warned driver to keep an eye on the traffic, as they may not realise the tractor was in front.

Sure enough, tranny van steamed up alongside, large middle aged lady in passenger seat leaning out giving loads of abuse, horn blasting. Then, van driver saw tractor and trailer, right in front! And, a large lorry coming down the hill at speed, straight towards him, air horns blasting.

Van driver swerved in front, realised there was nowhere to go, so swerved out again, before squeezing into the side of the tractor.

The violent swerving took the lady passenger totally by surprise, and she lost her false teeth, which were promptly run over by our truck!

The 2 soldiers, and their instructor were so busy laughing, they clean forgot to get annoyed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm sick to the back teeth of Audi drivers. Not all, but most drive like aggressive a*seholes.

Surely its not the make of car that's causing the problem, its the aggressive driving of whatever it is. Some people are plain p**cks when driving.

• RMweb Premium

Gareth

The problem is, since the employer (whoever it is) doesn't pay any speeding, parking tickets etc, so in my opinion it takes you, as long as it takes to do the job. A club member lost his licence for 3 months, for too many speeding tickets, because the boss kept complaining he needed to get to jobs quicker. More fool him.

The problem is, since the employer (whoever it is) doesn't pay any speeding, parking tickets etc, so in my opinion it takes you, as long as it takes to do the job. A club member lost his licence for 3 months, for too many speeding tickets, because the boss kept complaining he needed to get to jobs quicker. More fool him.

I keep to the limits now on dual carriageways as well. Used to sneak in a few more mph on DC's, but now it takes as long as it takes.

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Like 1

The violent swerving took the lady passenger totally by surprise, and she lost her false teeth, which were promptly run over by our truck!

This is why everyone should have a dashcam!

Fourteen years ago I took a fortnights break in Malta, while I was there I hired a small car, a Dawoo IIRC. This despite being a micro-car had PAS. When I got home I went to drive my car, a Nissan Prairie, which did not have PAS and nearly hit the brick wall opposite my drive! :O

Most surprising thing about those Prairie’s was how they performed on the twisty bits.

One tried to give me a run for my money on the lanes between Margeretting and Galleywood ( I was in a Renault GTA and he was in front) despite looking like it was going to fall over at times the Prairie more than held it’s own). Amazing really - was it you?

So ungainly looking though. I enjoyed it because I once took my (then) wife’s 2CV around a Roundabout flat out.

I was young then.......Before I learned that racing was meant for the track (which I later did and can recommend for getting such ideas of racing on the street out of the system).

Best, Pete.

• Like 3

As of this morning I have a scuff on my bike jacket from a woman in a brand new range river evoque who continued to move into my lane on the motorway (lane 3) having come right across from the slip road despite my horn being held down and me braking as much as i dare with a transit sniffing my tail pipes did she notice?

If she did she pretended not to by looking dead ahead.

Wider pillars to give better roll I've strength, better insulation to remove road noise

=

Bigger blind spots and less able to hear what's around with drivers refusing to use their other senses to compensate or even use their eyes.

With older cars you could hear more of what was going on around you, you could see more from your default driving position, modern cars you need to move more to ensure you see

As has been said, it's your presumption that the design of the car is the fault, it's not, it's her fault. If you've a blind spot, look around it. It's poor driving which she would display whatever she was driving.

Anyway, she's driving an Evoque. As a long time Land Rover man, whoever thought that was a design worthy of the Heritage needs a sound beating. Those who buy and drive them are accomplices in this crime against taste.

This is a Land Rover. Comfort? Get outta here.

post-6861-0-16546100-1439303445.jpg

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 7

Anyway, she's driving an Evoque. As a long time Land Rover man, whoever thought that was a design worthy of the Heritage needs a sound beating. Those who buy and drive them are accomplices in this crime against taste.

This is a Land Rover. Comfort? Get outta here.

Absolutely.

Yes please...

post-17811-0-91872200-1439303751.jpg

No thank you...

post-17811-0-52085400-1439303752.jpg

• Like 5