The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

....waiting for a dashcam?

For clarity Ivan I reported a post by our resident driving educator, and my own response to it, for moderation and both were subsequently removed.

I'll bet the people in that car weren't doing too well after that one. Hitting a truck head on provides quite a bit of the old 'delta v' due to the unequal mass of the vehicles so not only will you sustain injuries by rapidly decelerating on impact, but also the rapid acceleration backwards will cause more damage.

No injuries at all!

It was only a glancing blow although the Corsa was a complete mess afterwards.

http://stv.tv/news/north/278966-woman-who-drove-wrong-way-down-a90-and-crashed-into-lorries-is-banned-from-driving/

Edit: the car driver did, amazingly, escape uninjured. (Post edited as I'd heard otherwise)

The truck driver however, did sustain head injuries and was in hospital.

When someone else's utter & total incompetance can do that to you, then sorry, but "underpants" jokes are not very funny, in my opinion.

Edited by F-UnitMad

http://stv.tv/news/north/278966-woman-who-drove-wrong-way-down-a90-and-crashed-into-lorries-is-banned-from-driving/

Edit: the car driver did, amazingly, escape uninjured. (Post edited as I'd heard otherwise)

The truck driver however, did sustain head injuries and was in hospital.

Ah, the Daily Wail article I'd read earlier claimed no injuries.

It does however have some pictures showing what happens when a trailer load of cement bags comes to a sudden stop.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371597/A90-lorry-driver-came-face-face-car-driving-wrong-way-dual-carriageway.html

Now if he'd managed to miss the Corsa completely he could have been in the position of being accused of doing something like falling asleep and running onto the verge.

I have just returned from a weekend in Brighton, and would like to nominate that city's taxi drivers as the most inconsiderate drivers in the UK.

Approaching a large hotel on a main road, I could see some poor car and its driver waiting to turn right into the hotel forecourt with what looked like half a mile of traffic queue behind him. So, I flashed my headlights and slowed down to let the car cross in front of me, only to discover as I got closer that a taxi had parked right across the hotel entrance, stopping anyone from getting in or out. The taxi driver suddenly seemed to realise his selfishness and reversed up onto the pavement almost reversing into a cyclist, who probably had no idea what was going on. But at least the other driver could get into the hotel and the fifty or so cars behind could resume their journey.

However, this was not the worst incident (others of which were relatively minor - such as performing sudden u-turns in the middle of the road and then trying to race off up the street between two lines of traffic going in opposite directions).

I was on the bus from Hove and we had just pulled away from the Brighton station stop, when the bus came to a sudden stop as a taxi had cut up the bus and then stopped right across its bows, not only on a pedestrian crossing, but blocking all bus departures from outside Brighton station while he calmly gets out of his cab, gets luggage out of the boot, the passengers emerge from the back of the taxi. The bus driver was amazingly restrained given this all happening in front of his vehicle (maybe he had seen it all many times before?). After a making sure his passengers had all their belongings, he got back in the car, did a quick turn around and went the wrong way up a short one-way street before vanishing into a side road. But at least the buses could now continue on their way.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have just returned from a weekend in Brighton, and would like to nominate that city's taxi drivers as the most inconsiderate drivers in the UK.

Brighton doesn't have exclusive rights to bad taxi drivers....

I always say there's good and bad in all forms of road users, but taxis do seem to swing proportionally more towards the bad side.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I would have taken his hackney carriage number and reported it to the local council or whoever administers taxi licences. I once reported a local taxi driver resulting in his taxi licence being suspended for a few weeks. He was none to pleased as the suspension came up in the Christmas period when taxi's make the most money.

• Like 2

Perhaps the taxi driver's customers were late for their train?

Perhaps the bus driver was overly conscious of the fact that, if he had 'let rip',a couple of things might have ensued?

[a] the taxi driver becomes belligerent, and deliberately delays things even further, and in typical modern-day fashion, a bus passenger might not see the bigger picture, and complain to the bus company of the bus driver's attitude...thus leading to him getting his P45 toot sweet..?

I admit to adopting a similar attitude when out driving....an attitude born out of knowledge and experience of how other drivers can behave, once they become flustered?

If I come across a driver trying to conduct a maneuver across the carriageway, essentially blocking traffic...I will stay, laid further back,  [patiently..perhaps not one of my virtues?].....whilst the driver completes whatever they are trying to do.

Rather than, as too many would do, approaching close to the other driver making my presence well & truly felt....since experience has shown me this attitude will only increase the other driver's anxiety, creating more fluster, resulting in the other driver taking one heck of a lot longer to simply get out of the way.

I have often seen this happen to my students...even apparently 'experienced' ones....as a result of the inconsiderate attitude of other drivers....they even ignore the presence of L plates!

Not placing pressure on the struggling driver lessens the chance of them actually hitting something, thereby creating an even bigger delay, whilst issues are sorted?

Sometimes, seeing the bigger picture leads to less stress being created?

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 4

A lesson from a London taxi driver (no not me!)  :  You pick up a fare then are faced with several lanes of traffic to cross to your right, so you pull out without making eye-contact with the car(s) to your right. Their response is to brake because you hadn't seen them! Mission accomplished. Not my way I have to say, but I do know how to get where I want to be and a polite handwave to the driver behind as a thank you usually keeps everyone calm.  One night recently we were in a cotton-town taxi driven by one of our recent arrivals to the UK and responded that we were from Wales when he asked. "How far from Edinburgh is that?"   :mosking:   We approached one of those illuminated 30mph signs that also tells drivers their actual speed....41mph...That guy didn't hang about.  :superman:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

Lump hammer clips on one's bicycle handlebars seem to have gone the way of the dodo....

I have never seen one of those.

I have a 2 Kg D-lock that lives in a kind of holster thing but it needs both hands to release it.

• RMweb Premium

Rather than, as too many would do, approaching close to the other driver making my presence well & truly felt....since experience has shown me this attitude will only increase the other driver's anxiety, creating more fluster, resulting in the other driver taking one heck of a lot longer to simply get out of the way.

I have often seen this happen to my students...even apparently 'experienced' ones....as a result of the inconsiderate attitude of other drivers....they even ignore the presence of L plates!

Not placing pressure on the struggling driver lessens the chance of them actually hitting something, thereby creating an even bigger delay, whilst issues are sorted?

Sometimes, seeing the bigger picture leads to less stress being created?

Many of the dash cam videos now appearing online seem to illustrate their owner's inability to recognise and back off from developing situations at least as much as the crazy antics of other drivers.

I would have taken his hackney carriage number and reported it to the local council or whoever administers taxi licences. I once reported a local taxi driver resulting in his taxi licence being suspended for a few weeks. He was none to pleased as the suspension came up in the Christmas period when taxi's make the most money.

Waste of time and effort, unless you have HDTV quality video they wont take any notice!

Many of the dash cam videos now appearing online seem to illustrate their owner's inability to recognise and back off from developing situations at least as much as the crazy antics of other drivers.

I agree, there was a video on one of those crash cam programs showing the (taxi) driver not reacting to a lorry indicating and then moving out into his lane until he is level with the rear wheels and the crash is inevitable, the lorry driver got the blame but if the taxi driver had been watching what was happening he could have avoided it simply by lifting off for a few seconds and allowing the lorry out, but no he just blindly carried without seeing or acknowledging what was going on around him!

In my book that is driving without due care (by both drivers) but the police arent interested in any of that are they!

Edited by royaloak

Or that the recognise the situation perfectly well and give it a little poke for better footage...

Or that the recognise the situation perfectly well and give it a little poke for better footage...

Very cynical outlook?

I think you give the 'average' car driver too much credit for being aware of what is happening around them!

Very cynical outlook?

I think you give the 'average' car driver too much credit for being aware of what is happening around them!

No I've just seen some YouTube videos :P

The most blatant one I can think of off-hand was the car being repeatedly menaced by a lorry. It's pretty easy to get away from a lorry so hanging around the menacing one wasn't the smartest idea.

The driver had a business selling dash-cams so he was basically filming an advert.

I'm sure someone will come along and post a link to the video shortly...

• RMweb Premium

The most blatant one I can think of off-hand was the car being repeatedly menaced by a lorry. It's pretty easy to get away from a lorry so hanging around the menacing one wasn't the smartest idea.

I'm really thinking of more common but less dramatic instances such as poor lane changes or pulling out of side roads, where a bit of anticipation could have saved the dash-cammer from being troubled much or at all. You may well be right however that they are more concerned with nurturing the dramatic potential of the situation than avoiding danger. Or maybe they have Gerald Ford syndrome and are unable to lift their right foot and make self righteous remarks for the camera at the same time.

No I've just seen some YouTube videos :P

The driver had a business selling dash-cams so he was basically filming an advert.

I'm sure someone will come along and post a link to the video shortly...

I think I know the one you mean, the rear camera had lorries in both lanes as far as the eye could see and the front camera showed a completely empty road, I would like to see the footage for the 5 minutes before the incident!

It strikes me as a car driver being a complete ar-e and a lorry driver finally seeing red, and who can blame him!

It strikes me as a car driver being a complete ar-e and a lorry driver finally seeing red, and who can blame him!

This was the one. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-34933347

Who can blame him? Well his former employers certainly did. Even if you are provoked by an arse if you start flinging your lorry around like that you need to be in a different line of work.

found this one rather sobering should be shown to  a lot of the young boy racers who infest the local precinct car park and never wear there seatbelts 

https://www.facebook.com/UKCarCams/videos/286213401756311/

Note that they are driving on the right and the writing on the video is in chinese, and yet the title of the collection is UK Car Cams ??? 

Phil T.

...and the car involved appears to be Russian.

If you said that about every car crash clip on YouTube you wouldn't be far wrong.

Russia produces some insane dashcam footage.