RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

Read something interesting recently.

Occupation most likely to get ticketed from driving in bus lanes.

Off duty bus drivers.

Does that mean that off-duty farmers are most likely to get caught driving on grass verges?

You mean the police actually do something?

well, it was quite early on a Sunday morning, so it was a very easy ticket to give (especially if the Audi pulls over straight away - as it did) when there's probably not a lot going on yet.

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of cycling in London, I came across these two blog posts recently. Compare & contrast?

https://robertweetman.wordpress.com/2017/10/12/what-nobody-told-me-1/

https://ssj3gohan.tweakblogs.net/blog/11985/city-cycling-in-london-is-a-joke

Both articles make good reading , and by people from the others country ,

but both fail to take into account population size ,

Amsterdam , population of 813,562 in the city limits .

London , 8.63 million, and that is a 2015 figure .

Both articles make good reading , and by people from the others country ,

but both fail to take into account population size ,

Amsterdam , population of 813,562 in the city limits .

London , 8.63 million, and that is a 2015 figure .

I'm not sure how that applies to the planning (or lack) of the Cycle Superhighways in London. If anything that's an even stronger argument that there should be far more, and far better, cycling infrastructure: if Amsterdam has that infrastructure for only 815,000 people, London should be 10x better!

Read something interesting recently.

Occupation most likely to get ticketed from driving in bus lanes.

Off duty bus drivers.

I can vouch for that, after driving up the bus only lane 4 times while at work, after finishing work guess which route I took in the car even though it wasnt the quickest way to get to where I was going?

It was just force of habit and wasnt intentional, luckily the traffic warden at the top of the road saw the funny side and let me off.

• RMweb Premium

I can vouch for that, after driving up the bus only lane 4 times while at work, after finishing work guess which route I took in the car even though it wasnt the quickest way to get to where I was going?

It was just force of habit and wasnt intentional, luckily the traffic warden at the top of the road saw the funny side and let me off.

I once accidentally caught an out-of-service bus because the driver forgot he wasn't supposed to stop and pick up passengers.

The one that really worried me was a bus route that used a minibus in the evening, going under a VERY low canal bridge, and a double decker during the day which took a diversion round the bridge. I didn't want to be on a bus where the driver had just gone from evening shifts to driving in the day...

I'm not sure how that applies to the planning (or lack) of the Cycle Superhighways in London. If anything that's an even stronger argument that there should be far more, and far better, cycling infrastructure: if Amsterdam has that infrastructure for only 815,000 people, London should be 10x better!

London would also need to be 10 times bigger, there simply isnt the space in London for decent cycle lanes.

Of course there is.

There just isn't space for the cars.

(And lorries....and busses...)

So how are people going to move around if you get rid of the buses?

How are the goods going to get to the shops if you get rid of the lorries?

Anyone that drives a car in London <when they dont need to transport anything> needs their head examining.

edited to add<> text as I appreciate that some people do need to drive a car in London.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

It wasn't meant as a serious comment.

(I'd happily get rid of the cars leaving the roads for cycles, delivery vehicles, public transport and the like, though).

Anyone that drives a car in London needs their head examining.

easier taking survey equipment to site in London by car, than trying to use public transport.

• RMweb Premium

easier taking survey equipment to site in London by car, than trying to use public transport.

Could that be an 'exception' status trip maybe?

If School run vehicles were eliminated would that make any difference or do children and YP in London actually walk or use PT? 

I really dislike going to London these days as it is so overwhelmingly busy compared to where I now live (small town in the north of Notts. 

I can remember a time when driving through London was often a choice to avoid the jams on the North and South Circular routes and one didn't get stuck. Mind you, that was in the early to mid 80s and tended to be Saturdays on the way to play footy matches.

Phil.

If School run vehicles were eliminated would that make any difference or do children and YP in London actually walk or use PT? 

It always surprises me how much nicer the roads suddenly get during the school holidays. Every single jam (when I'm in the office) is clear, It's amazing how much morning traffic is due simply because of the school run...

• RMweb Premium

Could that be an 'exception' status trip maybe?

I really dislike going to London these days as it is so overwhelmingly busy compared to where I now live (small town in the north of Notts. 

I can remember a time when driving through London was often a choice to avoid the jams on the North and South Circular routes and one didn't get stuck. Mind you, that was in the early to mid 80s and tended to be Saturdays on the way to play footy matches.

Phil.

When I was in London, it was quite common for children to take the bus a few stops to school because it didn't cost them anything.

I would guess that London has a much higher proportion of children walking or taking public transport to school than most of the UK.

It always surprises me how much nicer the roads suddenly get during the school holidays. Every single jam (when I'm in the office) is clear, It's amazing how much morning traffic is due simply because of the school run...

In my area, the local roads are so much quieter during religious holidays....

• RMweb Premium

IN Saudi the traffic gets much worse, during prayer time. You don't have to stop to pray if you are travelling, so guess when they all start their journies to go shopping..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

Not for the first time, I had to help Mrs Roade-Hazzard. I could hear this strange squeaking noise as I walked home this morning, and it was she, making her car get friendly with a lamp post adjacent her driveway. And there was a well under-inflated tyre to add to the mix as well, deformed rim, probably from her last run out. So the roads are safe for a few hours as she will have to wait for a calling tyre service, since she had no spare. ( According to her son she has always been a dreadful driver. Old enough to never need to pass a test, and legally still has all the faculties required to drive, plenty of moolah to pay the insurance and get the repairs done, rarely exceeds 20mph or drives any distance so relatively little danger to others...)

...If School run vehicles were eliminated would that make any difference or do children and YP in London actually walk or use PT?...

But the population of London is so large and dense (read that as you will), that if the traffic congestion was permanently eased by some miraculous ban that prevented the school run, then other road users would very quickly take the chance to use their vehicles...

As others already, majority of London's kids get to school on foot or by public transport.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some of it's down to less commuter traffic, what with many people taking their leave during school holidays.

Same here in Edinburgh.  I believe that it's not just the absence of the school run, though: lots of people take time off work over the school holidays (trying to arrange meetings during half term weeks can be just as difficult as it is around Christmas, Easter and July/August) so it cuts down on the number of commuters as well.  My previous job to this one was based at an office with a sizeable car park and lots of people drove to work - including me, because unfortunately there was no direct bus.  It was significantly easier to find a parking space during the school holidays.

Edit: Reorte beat me to it.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 2

IN Saudi the traffic gets much worse, during prayer time. you don't have to stop to pray if you are travelling, so guess when they all start their journies to go shopping..

We've just had Sukkot week (4th to 11th October), and believe me it was like a ghost town in traffic terms - gentile vehicles could flow freely, there was no lunatic diving into parking spots from the opposite side of the road, no letting kids out of cars directly onto the road........

........and we've got The Shomrim to make sure everyone complies  :triniti:

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1