The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

Most multi lane roundabouts these days seem to have been given new markings whereby if you get in the right lane and follow it it will take you smoothly round. Trouble is many people just don't bother and that's why you get the "lottery" mentioned by Andy.

The point I was making is that it's not unique to certain areas and central Birmingham is no better or worse than many other places. I mentioned Leeds which I found far harder to negotiate than Brum though that could just be down to the fact I don't know it as well.

Trouble is all main roads and city centres are, quite frankly, overrun with traffic these days and can't cope. It would be interesting to have a survey but from what i can see most of the car traffic in the centre seems to be black cabs or minicabs. It will be interesting to see if Birmingham's proposed congestion charging makes any difference.

The Sheriffhall roundabout on the Edinburgh bypass is traffic light controlled. When the lights are green for a particular junction a 'flare path' set into the road surface lights up and guides you into the correct lane on the roundabout.

https://www.clearview-intelligence.com/news/studs-light-the-way-at-sheriffhall-roundabout-in-edinburgh

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

TBH it does rather depend on where you are driving. We've all been guilty in recent posts of sweeping generalisations but if you look closer you'll find that Birmingham, Bradford, Oldham and Manchester make up the top ten of "cash for crash" claims, but with one caveat, only a small number of postcodes in those areas are known for it.

There was one somewhere in Manchester (can't remember exactly where) a few years ago where the scammer got caught because he kept using the same spot and people in an office overlooking it soon noticed.

I have noticed that one of the problems with the lane layout at most roundabouts (or in fact much of the road system), is that the lines & writing are not easily seen at night when it is wet.  The white paint does not stand out from the shining tar. 

Also has anyone else noticed that the "antiskid" surfaces used in bends etc seems to rip up in chunks lifting the underlying tar, making the damage to the road worse ?

• RMweb Gold

..... For a high adrenaline drive try Coventry's inner ring road in rush hour traffic.

Many years ago my brother’s motorbike was stolen from the technical college in Coventry. As the thieves exited the college they seriously upset a passing police motorway car. The pursuit was abandoned on the Coventry ring road when the speed was clocked at 125 mph in favour of a road block. The police officer asked my brother, how fast would the bike go? His reply, “70mph”.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Dunno. Brakes seem pretty good.

there'd have been one XXXX of an inquiry had the driver got that one wrong or the brakes failed..

• RMweb Premium

And no windscreen to stick a parking ticket onto.

Oh yes there is, there will be a little glass screen , for the periscope through which the driver sees.. it's just below the turret, on the left of centre as you look at it, though the driver has his hatch open and you can see his head..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2

There was one somewhere in Manchester (can't remember exactly where) a few years ago where the scammer got caught because he kept using the same spot and people in an office overlooking it soon noticed.

At the entrance roundabout to a business park just south of Cheadle/Gatley on the A34

At the entrance roundabout to a business park just south of Cheadle/Gatley on the A34

plus they were also doing them on the manchester street roundabout exit from Oldham way hence OL & SK postcodes being some of the highest in manchester 

Edited by peanuts
  • Like 1

They've changed the markings there very recently I use it several times a week. Three lanes in. Left one up smallbrook queensway. Middle straight on. Right to turn right. Perfectly logical. The lights have made little difference to traffic flow though the new merging lane on the other side has helped a lot.

All I know is that its takes me a lot longer since the  first set went in yonks ago and even more now the second set have been installed (earlier this year. )

The flow has improved coming down Holloway Head but then they put a bus lane in and undid all the good work. Don't even get me started on the monstrosity that has been created at the top of Holloway Head where it meets Bath Row. Totally unnecessary and just increases the frustration which in turn leads people to do crazy things to get ahead a bit. 

The most outrageous piece of Brum driving was at the junction of Cardigan St and Jennens Rd. Sat patiently waiting 3 back at the red light in the marked right lane to go straight across, a car proceeds up the empty left lane, crosses the stop line and pulls into the front of the queue.  Unbelievable

Not driven round Leeds. Sounds fun. 

Somewhere on roads.org.uk there is a video of Coventry ring road.  Careful you could lose hours on this site. Who thought roads could be so much fun?

Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The most outrageous piece of Brum driving was at the junction of Cardigan St and Jennens Rd. Sat patiently waiting 3 back at the red light in the marked right lane to go straight across, a car proceeds up the empty left lane, crosses the stop line and pulls into the front of the queue.  Unbelievable

Andy

Standard practice in many Arab countries, one of our trainees tried it London, and was mystified and upset a London black cabby got out opened the door to his car and punched him on the nose..

• Like 4

All I know is that its takes me a lot longer since the  first set went in yonks ago and even more now the second set have been installed (earlier this year. )

The flow has improved coming down Holloway Head but then they put a bus lane in and undid all the good work. Don't even get me started on the monstrosity that has been created at the top of Holloway Head where it meets Bath Row. Totally unnecessary and just increases the frustration which in turn leads people to do crazy things to get ahead a bit. 

Would agree that the previous one of left/SQ, middle lane/straight on and right and right/right round the roundabout did work better, though most people seem to be doing that now!

Can't agree with you on Holloway Head (Bath Row), it was bad before because it had parking where the bus lane now is so it's made no difference at all to traffic flow other than cars going up the A38/Suffolk Street Queensway now have a slip road and disappear more quickly. As I said before it's just too many cars using too little road, though to be fair that junction only becomes a nightmare during rush hours, Saturdays when every man and his dog want to go shopping in the Bull Ring, and at 10pm when the theatres chuck 'em out! I often have to use the back roads to get to our Ellis Street car park at those times, sometimes going via Broad Street whose closure no doubt adds to the congestion on Bath Row! Strange how they sort one thing out and then do something else elsewhere to make matters worse, must be a goal for Town Planners! "Who can we annoy today!" ;)

• Like 1

Ah yes,  but the bus lane is wider than the parking bays, so an uphill bus stopping creates a queue where there was plenty of space to get by before and the spread to two lanes is now further down. 

I have no idea why they couldn't just make Wheeleys Lane two way. Would have saved a fortune and served the same purpose as the new works

Paradise Circus is and will be a mess when it's finished. I remain convinced it's all a plot to justify the CAZ next year. 

Still the wild west out there. get yourself out towards the East side and it's far worse than the centre

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1

But the buses never pulled in fully before so still blocked the road!

Certain parts are wild west, I agree, but only certain parts, not all of it! Personally I'd list part of the road out towards West Brom before you get to the M5!

• RMweb Premium

But the buses never pulled in fully before so still blocked the road!

Certain parts are wild west, I agree, but only certain parts, not all of it! Personally I'd list part of the road out towards West Brom before you get to the M5!

I suspect that if car drivers were more inclined to let a bus out when it's ready to go, bus drivers might be keener on pulling all the way into a layby to let traffic past.