The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

What about people who dont have any motorways near them, the motorway network runs out at Exeter so what about people who live South West of that?

I learned to drive in Plymouth, so quite a distance from the nearest motorway. I did have a couple of lessons going along a bit of the A38 though, and the principles are largely the same on a motorway as a major non-motorway dual carriageway. But there are some people not near one of those either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago (40+) I knew someone who lost his licence for being in charge of a motor vehicle whilst under the influence of drink despite someone else being behind the wheel. He was teaching his girlfriend to drive and on an evening out he had rather too much to drink he persuaded the girlfriend to drive the car. He promptly fell asleep in the passenger seat, the girlfriend panicked and 'froze' in the middle of a busy road junction. Thats how the police found them and he lost both his licence and his girlfriend.

And so he should. Everyone should know that the licenced driver is in charge.

• RMweb Premium

If an ADI gets caught drink-driving, it's not just his normal driving licence he loses. His ADI licence is also obviously taken away and they can't simply regain it 12-18 months later after the normal ban. It's 10 years before they can apply to become an ADI again and will have to go through all the tests again.

• RMweb Gold

Winter tyres as well as having grippy snow behaviour also work better on cold road surfaces. It is generally quite a mild climate here in south Essex so the winter tyre set on our Fiesta probably goes on later and comes off sooner than in places like Germany.

Been using winter tyres on one of our cars for the last six winters and I wouldn't be without now. Yes we haven't had a lot of snow in central Scotland but even on frosty or cold wet roads it makes a big difference.

The initial cost of the tyres and rims is what puts people off but when you consider you won't be using your summer tyres over the 4 winter months of the year then your summer tyres will last that much longer so the running cost is the same.

Dunlop Winter Sport is my tyre of choice, good tyre at a good price and as the video shows it makes our VW Touran feel like a 4x4.

No connection with tyre retailers just a happy user.

Dave.

• Like 3

I currently have all-season tyres fitted (on my car).  They still have the 3 peaks+snowflake logo so meet the criteria for winter tyres (and thus are legal in places which require winter tyres during the...er...winter) but they work fine all year round.

(Whisper it, but, in 2017 I left my winter tyres on all year.  That was because they had lots of tread left, whereas my "summer" tyres were close to the limit, and I was planning to replace the car within 12 months so didn't feel like gifting the new owner a set of nearly new tyres.  Anyway, guess what?  The winter tyres worked just fine through the summer as well!  I didn't crash and die horribly.  I didn't actually notice even the slightest of problems with grip, braking or MPG running winter tyres through the summer.  OK, I Iive in Scotland so it stays colder, longer here, but in the Central Belt we still get four to six months of "summer" tyre temperatures [see below] day and night.)

Winter tyres as well as having grippy snow behaviour also work better on cold road surfaces.

The compound used is supposed to perform better than "summer" tyres below about 7°C.  They also shift surface water better than "summer" tyres.  (I was astonished at the lack of drama driving through a big puddle at some speed on my winter tyres, compared to the obvious aquaplaning that would often occur with "summer" rubber on.  Again, surface and standing water hazards are rather more prevalent in Scotland than in some other parts of the UK.)

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I currently have all-season tyres fitted (on my car).  They still have the 3 peaks+snowflake logo so meet the criteria for winter tyres (and thus are legal in places which require winter tyres during the...er...winter) but they work fine all year round.

I have Continental all-seasons on the Leaf mainly because they have better rolling resistance than any of the full winters.

Winter & all-season tyres generally have a very squishy feel to them. The only ones I ever preferred to summers were the Vredestein SnowTracs I had on a Chevy Spark. they made it a lot quieter.

• RMweb Gold

I also,think some of the first winter rated tyres we used did seem to result in higher fuel,consumption. They were a budget brand and were at the time the only ones we could get at short notice to fit a Renault Clio. It seems easier to get winter tyres now, the adoption of legislation in other countries means they are no longer rare. Our Fiesta has the same make (Continental) and size in both types of tyre with no change in fuel economy.

My other car is 4x4 and has mud+snow rated tyres. I am happy to go out to the shops in either!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was surprised to find our new tyres are marked mud and snow, they do look similar to above.

The landrover of course has all terrains marked mud and snow. In last year's deep stuff they didn't have a problem, helped of course by 4x4 locking central diff and a limited slip diff at the back.

• Like 1

All winter models have "M+S" marking, but not all tyres with "M+S" are winter tyres.

Is a tyre with "M+S" marking suitable for all conditions?

The answer is: not necessarily. 

So, what does the "M+S" marking mean? "Mud + Snow"- is only a declaration from the manufacturer that the product operates in mud and snow better than regular models. This may be misleading.

Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake ... is an easily recognisable symbol that features a snowflake with three peaks in the background. This is the only marked element that confirms the actual winter parameters of a tyre. Models with this marking are suitable for demanding weather conditions and retain their performance at temperatures below zero. The 3PMSF symbol is standardised and controlled by EU authorities, guaranteeing that the product meets the conditions of rigorous testing and is suitable for operation in difficult weather conditions.

The Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake symbol looks like this:

3pmsf_Snowflakesymbol.png

No other marking on a tyre can signify that the tyre has passed standardised winter performance tests.

If your M+S tyre doesn't also carry the 3PMSF symbol it may not necessarily perform as well as you might hope in winter conditions.

In EU countries that legislate the use of winter tyres at certain times of year, the 3PMSF symbol is supposed to be what the police look for if you are stopped (you don't have to be pulled over, some countries/regions operate checkpoints where everyone is stopped and checked).  I have heard stories of people getting away with tyres having only the M+S marking, but it's just that: they got away with it - there's no guarantee they or anyone else would get away with it next time.

• Like 1

As a matter of curiosity, when did winter tyres become a common thing in the UK? Up to leaving in 1996 I'd never come across it (though I was aware of the concept from other countries with more severe winter conditions). Mind you, I tended to be in an economic situation that meant I was grateful for four of anything with tread on that would hold air, let alone finding the money for (and the space to store) an extra set :D.

Edited by PatB

probably with the increase of cars that are unable to drive in slushy/snowy weather without them.... thinking back to an amusing trip home from Grayshott behind a Mercedes that could barely keep from spinning out on a straight, flat road because it was dumping too much power into the rear wheels... or overtaking a porsche that wasn't able to climb the hill at Churt...

none of which were as funny as the Subaru Impreza wrx (in rally paint job) that had binned it in the ditch halfway along the 3/4 mile straight by Frensham Pond!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Twenty miles of untreated back roads this morning with visible ice the whole way. Glad I'm not on summers....

Not quite as chilly here but I think it is time to find the winter tyres. They are somewhere under the model railway layout.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've never used winter tyres in the past but even a little bit of frost makes it difficult to get up the hill to the road, so I've been pondering them. Or I could just get up earlier and get the train when conditions are bad (if they're bad enough for the trains to not run I doubt I'd want to be driving anyway, and even if I was fine for driving in those conditions the chances are someone else wouldn't be and the road would get blocked by them).

As a matter of curiosity, when did winter tyres become a common thing in the UK? Up to leaving in 1996 I'd never come across it (though I was aware of the concept from other countries with more severe winter conditions). Mind you, I tended to be in an economic situation that meant I was grateful for four of anything with tread on that would hold air, let alone finding the money for (and the space to store) an extra set :D.

I think it dates to around the time that faux-by-fours (typically using technology like Haldex, rather than "proper" 4WD with transfer cases, centre diffs etc) started to become more affordable and thus more popular - and then people discovered that their designer "4x4" SUV with super-low-profile tyres that they fondly imagined would be able to take them absolutely anywhere...couldn't cope with a hard frost on a steep hill.  My recollection is that it was around the time of the heavy snow in late 2010 that the insurance companies started to get stick for trying to charge people extra if they wanted to fit winter tyres, and the ABI weighed in to knock heads together.

Basically: a combination of a shift in the car market, consumer fashion and a meteorological lesson - subsequently fuelled by consumer awareness.

(One could find it a little ironic that, in roughly the same timeframe that increasing numbers of people were choosing to fit winter tyres in order to be safer in cold weather, increasing numbers of people - and sometimes the same people - were blithely getting in to the habit of playing with their smartphones while behind the wheel...)