The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

Remember the van flying over the round about at Attleborough last year...

Lamb, who was 17 at the time of the accident, denied driving a motor vehicle dangerously.

He was disqualified from driving for 12 months, was ordered to do an extended retest, pay £310 and complete 80 hours' unpaid work."

From the Ed 24 site,,

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 19/07/2019 at 22:12, peanuts said:

my partner recently passed her test at the second attempt  in between tests i was able to insure her to get some practice in she found this a massive boost to her confidance  being able to practice in all conditions day and night rush hour rain even a bit of snow .sailed through her second attempt her instructer commented how much more relaxed she was behind the wheel  .dont seem to see s many learners out practicing with family as you used to 

Thanks for warning us!:D

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Sad that 2 truck drivers died in this head on, but the advice from the SA Road Transport Association, is to keep driving!

He would be better off shutting up publicly, until the investigation is completed.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-09/police-say-bad-decisions-to-blame-for-truck-driver-deaths/11398674

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Sad that 2 truck drivers died in this head on, but the advice from the SA Road Transport Association, is to keep driving!

He would be better off shutting up publicly, until the investigation is completed.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-09/police-say-bad-decisions-to-blame-for-truck-driver-deaths/11398674

I've had some professional dealings with various of the Road Transport Association's here. This response is actually one of the lesser bits of delusional b@££@cks I've heard from them. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 05/08/2019 at 14:58, Rugd1022 said:

I'll just leave this here, purloined form Pistonheads, northbound on the M40, just north of J9...

M40 J9 northbound past Bicester.jpg

Many years ago I was driving along the M27 when I overtook a cyclist riding on the hard shoulder, with several strings of onions draped around his/her neck.

Adrian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 10/08/2019 at 23:19, figworthy said:

Many years ago I was driving along the M27 when I overtook a cyclist riding on the hard shoulder, with several strings of onions draped around his/her neck.

Adrian

Were they also wearing a striped top and beret to complete the stereotype?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Henri was a French onion (& garlic) seller who used to work Southampton and the surrounding area for years, but I haven't seen him since the '90s. He had a farm and used to bring a truckload over, park it up (he probably slept in it) and cycle over a wide area selling onions. He definitely wore a black beret and usually a leather jacket, but I don't remember whether he had a striped top. I wouldn't be surprised if the guy on the M27 was him.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

In my day it wasn't a stereotype, we used to have cycling French onion sellers dressed in such a fashion, presumably they have disappeared?

Mike.

I remember them being refered to as 'Onion Johnnies'

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Baby Deltic said:

We had similar guys coming round selling rubber....

Smelling of Garlic & onions and wearing a beret?........theres a 'special' club for people like that just up the A1 at Tempsford....  well, there are a lot of bikes that get ridden there....;)

Edited by chris p bacon
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Smelling of Garlic & onions and wearing a beret?........theres a 'special' club for people like that just up the A1 at Tempsford....  well, there are a lot of bikes that get ridden there....;)

Apparently they receive quite a few letters from France.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3