Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

Bit of a pro tip, if you're gonna jump the lights on red, best make sure your MOT has also not expired ;)

Dashcam vid off to plod :)

Edited by Coldgunner
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Coldgunner said:

Bit of a pro tip, if you're gonna jump the lights on red, best make sure you're MOT has also not expired ;)

Dashcam vid off to plod :)

It's a well known fact, that if someone gets caught speeding (even low level), the police know that there is a good chance of detecting other offences, especially if you put their mind to it, by being a pr***!

They might not have even seen your plate details, when they saw you speeding, just you going past at a rate of knots. But once the plates are seen, then these days the computer system kicks in and you're in trouble.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

A candidate for a Hospital Order surely

Two years, suspended, and a two year disqualification, amongst other stocking fillers, apparently.  I like the requirement to complete an "accredited thinking skills programme" within 20 days.

https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/news/thames-valley/news/2024/april/15-04-2024/man-sentenced-for-dangerous-driving-and-child-neglect--m40/

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Two years, suspended, and a two year disqualification, amongst other stocking fillers, apparently.  I like the requirement to complete an "accredited thinking skills programme" within 20 days.

https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/news/thames-valley/news/2024/april/15-04-2024/man-sentenced-for-dangerous-driving-and-child-neglect--m40/

The difficulty with requiring people to attend courses is whether they will actually take any notice of the course material.

On the only occasion I have had a speeding ticket in more than sixty  years of driving I opted to attend the speed awareness course. Two fellow attendees clearly saw it only as a way to avoid getting points on their licence and weren't interested in taking anything from the course that could improve their driving skills and safety.. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The difficulty with requiring people to attend courses is whether they will actually take any notice of the course material.

Or indeed whether they are able to gain anything from the course.  In this case I suspect it will be like sending a dachshund to a 100m hurdles workshop.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

I suggest a proper psychiatric examination might be in order, I suspect that his capacity to think may be seriously impaired

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Nice bit of carcass failure.

Is it just me, or would anyone else like to stick something sharp into those bubbles? 

Dunno....

In a human, that would be the Black Death, and I wouldn't like to get anywhere near those buboes...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

No comment necessary.

image.png.b81fe896e6ee48bf1b825d46378b4bcc.png

Joking aside, I feel that slashing the blisters with a Stanley knife* would lead to a major advancement in road safety.

* Other craft knives are available.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

Is there something about 4x4 drivers..........

Looks like a Mk1 Zafira to me, very much 2WD territory.

And no, I'm not proud that I can identify such a dull car from such a small snapshot...

Jo

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Reorte said:

What on earth happens to a tyre to make it do that?

Must be a manufacturing defect, which ought to have been pick up, by whoever put the tyre on the rim!

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Reorte said:

What on earth happens to a tyre to make it do that?

Probably a remould where the carcase has not been prepared properly or more likely should not have been used in the first place due to damage, also the retread has not been vulcanised properly. In this instance the tyre walls were damaged (slashed?). The blisters usually appear instantly and can be dangerous. A good few years ago there was a fatal accident caused by such a tyre where the blister 'popped' on the tread of a car doing 70 mph and it flipped the car over.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

No comment necessary.

image.png.b81fe896e6ee48bf1b825d46378b4bcc.png

4 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

Is there something about 4x4 drivers..........

58 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Looks like a Mk1 Zafira to me, very much 2WD territory.

And no, I'm not proud that I can identify such a dull car from such a small snapshot...

Jo

The photograph originated in the US.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The photograph originated in the US.

The picture is a bland miserable GM MPV, marketed in Latin America as  Chevrolet Zafira. The fact it is so bland makes me sad that I can identify it! 

Jo

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

The picture is a bland miserable GM MPV, marketed in Latin America as  Chevrolet Zafira. The fact it is so bland makes me sad that I can identify it! 

I have the later version of the Zafira (a 1.6 litre 10 reg); before that I had the earlier version (a 1.8 litre 03 reg), both grey. I recall the first time I came out of the supermarket: "now which one is mine?" Not having memorised either the registration or exactly where I'd parked, I had to go round discretely pressing the key fob until one responded...

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I recall the first time I came out of the supermarket: "now which one is mine?" Not having memorised either the registration or exactly where I'd parked, I had to go round discretely pressing the key fob until one responded...

How did people survive without remotes? This is why at larger shopping centres, I park in roughly the same area, so I can find my car.

I did go the right area once and spent more time than I should have, before thinking that it must have been stolen - then it dawned on me that I was on the wrong floor!

Of course the other half, was waiting for me to go pick her up!

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

How did people survive without remotes? This is why at larger shopping centres, I park in roughly the same area, so I can find my car.

Well that's probably 80s at the latest, so the unique pattern of rust patches most likely.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I have the later version of the Zafira (a 1.6 litre 10 reg); before that I had the earlier version (a 1.8 litre 03 reg), both grey. I recall the first time I came out of the supermarket: "now which one is mine?" Not having memorised either the registration or exactly where I'd parked, I had to go round discretely pressing the key fob until one responded...

I get a lot of hire cars through work, I called in at Aldi the other day en route to collect my personal car from basford hall, I sat in the car while my wife grabbed some bits, she ended up ringing me from the car park after wondering round it a couple of times as she couldn’t remember what car we had! 

me and my lad thought it hilarious though as we’d seen her walk past twice but didn’t acknowledge her

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, big jim said:

me and my lad thought it hilarious though as we’d seen her walk past twice but didn’t acknowledge her

How much is our collective silence worth?

• Like 3
  • Funny 6