The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

20 hours ago, Torper said:

Looking at the other pictures in the article, the house appears to have For Sale boards on it too. That is unfortunate for the current owner.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, dvdlcs said:

Looking at the other pictures in the article, the house appears to have For Sale boards on it too. That is unfortunate for the current owner.

I've had a look on the estate agents site and it's not on there, so I guess it's been temporarily withdrawn while they get the repaired done. I'd guess at a value of £150,000

Two years 2 months ago this happend, I was stopped by the fire engines as it was well alight at the time, the red brick half was a private house for sale at the time. while the pub on the right is up and running again. The private house is still not being lived in again yet.

image[10].jpg

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Quite where they thought they were going to drive off too is an interesting question, there's not that many miles of road on lewis and Harris..

The coppers probably knew who was driving, there's a good chance they are related and everyone knows everyone....

My guess is the hit the ridge on the front of the garden took off then flipped over.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@58.3494245,-6.519273,3a,24y,321.46h,83.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWsTP436wwJeTCYa350KWWA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Dash Cam footage would be interesting...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Curiously, the 61-year old woman occupant of the property slept through the entire incident and wasn't woken until the police came knocking on her door and suggested that she evacuate the property as it was on fire.

DT

• Like 2

On 28/11/2019 at 11:18, TheQ said:

My guess is the hit the ridge on the front of the garden took off then flipped over.

If you look at the other photo on the local paper's link you will also see a rather bent lamp post, I suspect the kerb may have started it but the lamp post caused lift-off!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hobby said:

If you look at the other photo on the local paper's link you will also see a rather bent lamp post, I suspect the kerb may have started it but the lamp post caused lift-off!

Follow the track on and there are twin tracks through the ridge on the edge of the garden,  I suspect all. Had an effect of it twisting round and lifting off. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Torper said:

Curiously, the 61-year old woman occupant of the property slept through the entire incident and wasn't woken until the police came knocking on her door and suggested that she evacuate the property as it was on fire.

DT

The benefit of a 'wee dram' at bedtime maybe ?!!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

This Australian one is absolute stupidity from both father and son. The son driving did a runner leaving his father to die! The video is shocking.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/son-s-joyride-in-stolen-car-ends-in-his-father-s-death-20191202-p53g6c.html

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

This Australian one is absolute stupidity from both father and son. The son driving did a runner leaving his father to die! The video is shocking.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/son-s-joyride-in-stolen-car-ends-in-his-father-s-death-20191202-p53g6c.html

It's unbelieveable - hope he goes away for life being a father notwithstanding

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Link doesn't work?

EDIT It does now on this post?

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Link doesn't work?

EDIT It does now on this post?

It is a paywalled site, but I think you get 20 article views a month for free. Not sure as I'm a subscriber.

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/03/man-admits-killing-ex-royal-marine-road-rage-row-wiltshire

This raises an issue that continues to perplex me.

It is accepted that I can lose my licence for a 'motoring offence' eg speeding, drink driving etc.

If I commit a 'non motoring' offence - in this case he has it seems form for 'road rage' to say nothing of fly tipping, carrying drugs, weapons or stolen goods, distraction burglary or a whole range of other offences that can involve the use of a vehicle I cant be banned.

It seems to me that making using a vehicle in connection with, or to carry out an offence should result in disqualification

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Just had a strange one.   I was driving SWMBO to work, in the dark, and down the main road through our village, which has a 20mph speed restriction, which I observe by setting the cruise control to 20 so that I don't need to watch the speedo.  I do this, as the police have, in the past, enforced the speed limit by the use of a hand held speed camera.

So there I was doing 20 on the nose, to see a flashing white light right behind me in my mirror - a cyclist sitting right on my bumper - and I mean right on it.  He then came up my outside, then dropped back, and switched on a very bright LED headlight, and sat on my tail.  He persisted with this until I turned off.  So don't speed limits apply to cyclists?

• Agree 2

Actually they don't.  In general (with a few exceptions, such as in Royal Parks, or where local council bylaws have been enacted) speed limits only apply to motor vehicles.

https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media-centre/blog/2015/06/can-cyclists-break-the-speed-limit-or-does-the-law-only-apply-to-motorists/

Do speed limits apply to bicycles? The short answer to this question is no although there are various bylaws in place that could impose speed limits on cyclists.

In general, British cyclists share no legal obligation to adhere to the same speed limits as motorists.

In an interesting technicality, electric bicycles that do not meet the EAPC regulations (e.g having a thumb throttle, or a motor which exceeds 250W continuous output, or which provides assistance above 25kph) are regarded as motor vehicles, so speed limits (as well as all other motor vehicle regulations) do apply them.  Which means that if, riding my EAPC-compliant eMTB, I were to manage to overtake a rider of a speed pedelec who is riding at the speed limit, I would not be committing a speeding offence (although the other rider would almost certainly be breaking other laws in the process - I have never seen or heard of a speed pedelec being type approved, registered, insured etc etc).  See also https://road.cc/content/news/267863-london-e-bike-rider-court-accused-causing-death-pedestrian-dangerous-driving.

Edited by ejstubbs

But as that link says they can be done for other offences as that court case mentioned points out, and local councils can impose Bye Laws. If some cyclists break the speed limits they can hardly complain if the law is changed to include them so abiding by the current speed limits is perhaps the sensible thing to do for the good of the whole community?

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Hobby said:

But as that link says they can be done for other offences as that court case mentioned points out, and local councils can impose Bye Laws. If some cyclists break the speed limits they can hardly complain if the law is changed to include them so abiding by the current speed limits is perhaps the sensible thing to do for the good of the whole community?

How can cyclists abide by speed limits when (most) bikes do not have speedometers ? (Not that I have ever cycled fast enough to break any speed limits anyway !)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Driving through roadworks yesterday - two-lane dual carriageway, normally 50 limit, but because of the roadworks they've put a 30 on it. Signs warning of "lane one closed 600yds ahead", so I move across to lane two. Taxi then comes flying past me, in lane one. He must be doing at least 50, and cuts me up to get into lane two ahead of the closure - only to promptly get stuck in the queue of traffic waiting for the roundabout ahead...

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Guy I worked with got done for "Drunk in Charge of a Pushbike"  :)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, caradoc said:

How can cyclists abide by speed limits when (most) bikes do not have speedometers ? (Not that I have ever cycled fast enough to break any speed limits anyway !)

The are not done for speeding, I believe the offence used which is somewhat ancient and there is a similar offence for horse riders too, is,  “Wanton and furious cycling"

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

But as that link says they can be done for other offences as that court case mentioned points out, and local councils can impose Bye Laws.

Er, I said all that, and provided the links you refer to, so I'm not sure why your post starts with "But" as if you are disagreeing with me?

4 hours ago, caradoc said:

If some cyclists break the speed limits they can hardly complain if the law is changed to include them so abiding by the current speed limits is perhaps the sensible thing to do for the good of the whole community?

It might happen if it becomes regarded as (a) widely prevalent (as PhilJW pointed out, for 99.99% of cyclists it's only possible to exceed a speed limit on a hill - whereas drivers of motor vehicles can and do exceed the speed limit pretty much everywhere, and encouraging them to exercise more self-constraint behind the wheel would undoubtedly be for the benefit of the whole community) and (b) a significant risk.  So far there doesn't seem to be much evidence for (b), largely due to (a) not being the case.

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

The are not done for speeding, I believe the offence used which is somewhat ancient and there is a similar offence for horse riders too, is,  “Wanton and furious cycling"

It's actually "Wanton and furious driving", since the law* regards any wheeled vehicle as a "carriage", and the person in charge of it as "driving" it.  It's what Charlie Alliston got done for (and quite rightly too IMO).  The same inclusion of bicycles within the definition of "carriage" is what makes it illegal to cycle on the pavement (again, rightly so IMO).

* Offences Against the Person Act 1861 in this particular case.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Guy I worked with got done for "Drunk in Charge of a Pushbike"  :)

Strangley Mrs SM42 and I were breathalysed whilst riding our pushbikes back in the summer in Poland. We were returning from the local lake through the forest and had reached the road, where a policeman stood in wait.  Glad I decided not to have that beer by the lake as I have no idea what the limits for cyclists are.

20 mph limits cause all sorts of fun.

I am regularly overtaken in them.

The backstreets of Brum are festooned with them. the annoying thing is for me is that it's just a little too  slow for third and just a little fast for second and I end up driving round at 25mpg rather than the 50+mpg I get at nearer 30mph. So much for reducing pollution

Last week there was  a very irate women behind me as I was obviously going too slowly. She eventually decided to overtake just as I started to indicate to turn right at the mini roundabout 50 yds ahead.

She was even more irate then and promptly disappeared in a puff of anger at well over 20mph when I'd turned off.  There's never a speed trap when you want one.

BTW, speed limits apply to mechanically propelled vehicles. So  not to cyclists, scooters (not the motorbikey style) pedal go karts, soapboxes and horses.

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, SM42 said:

20 mph limits cause all sorts of fun.

I am regularly overtaken in them.

The backstreets of Brum are festooned with them. the annoying thing is for me is that it's just a little too  slow for third and just a little fast for second and I end up driving round at 25mpg rather than the 50+mpg I get at nearer 30mph. So much for reducing pollution

20 mph limits might have some advantages in areas that are heavily stop-start but for constant speed they're pretty bad for fuel use IME. At any rate my car's fuel efficiency drops significantly below 30 too (at its best between 30 and 50 then starts to go down again over 50).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reorte said:

At any rate my car's fuel efficiency drops significantly below 30 too (at its best between 30 and 50 then starts to go down again over 50).

Mine is most economical at 75 but then it is a BMW! ;)

• Funny 4