The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Many years ago I had a Mondeo and that had a five speed intermittent wiper setting, which at first I thought to be somewhat overkill; but after a few winter months became invaluable, because in most English weather except a violent thunderstorm the rain is barely heavy enough for the proper continuous wiper setting.

The slowest interval was about 15 seconds and they were graded in steps up to about 1 second. This was one of the most useful driving features I have ever had and about the only one that I have missed on cars which only have one intermittent wiper setting. 

The best intermittent wipers I've ever used were on my VW Transporter T4,

you turned them on for the required time and then turned them off, the 

time was 'remembered' until you reset it, infinitely adjustable!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Easy rule of thumb for rear fogs: (which I was taught by the Police Driving School many years ago)

If it is foggy (generic description) rear fogs are needed if you can't see the lit normal rears on a car.

If you can easily see the car in front without lights, then the lights are not needed.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

The best intermittent wipers I've ever used were on my VW Transporter T4,

you turned them on for the required time and then turned them off, the 

time was 'remembered' until you reset it, infinitely adjustable!

have this on my DAF 7.5 Tonne truck so much more adaptable 

• Like 1

Intermittent wipers pre date the Moneo by quite a while, I don't know what had them first but I can remember them on my 1990 Maestro, very good they were too, the current Golf has them as well if you switch off the auto ones...

can't agree re auto headlights, though, they work very well on my Golf. To the person who says about the person behind braking when they come one I'd say two things, firstly they were too close if they panic-react like that and secondly they aren't paying any attention as if it was my brake lights that were coming on there'd also be a high level lights as well and they are nowhere near as bright as the brake lights. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hobby said:

Intermittent wipers pre date the Moneo by quite a while, I don't know what had them first but I can remember them on my 1990 Maestro, very good they were too, the current Golf has them as well if you switch off the auto ones...

A long while. Every 70's car I've had had them. Only thing I had that didn't was a 60's Mini.

• Like 1

Sorry, should have been more specific, I was talking about the variable speed intermittent wipers, not ones that just did one speed. Like the Mondeo the Maestro had 5 different speeds, as you say I'd had single speed ones for years before that but that was the first one I'd had with that variation.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Google often finds short cuts and hidden features that don't appear in manuals. Or youtube.

Hi

No one on the car forum for my car has managed this yet and the car has now been around for four years.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hobby said:

can't agree re auto headlights, though, they work very well on my Golf. To the person who says about the person behind braking when they come one I'd say two things, firstly they were too close if they panic-react like that and secondly they aren't paying any attention as if it was my brake lights that were coming on there'd also be a high level lights as well and they are nowhere near as bright as the brake lights. 

I can only report as I find. Unexpected red lights on the back of a car do confuse. Who switches the headlights on to pass on the shady side of a tree?

It is not a case of panicking in general just a natural reaction to the appearance of red light on the car in front for no apparent reason. High level light or not (Can you assume that the high level will always work? If you do round here then you are in for a nasty surprise, in fact sometimes it's nice if any of the rear lights work)  people will touch the brake. Maybe only for a second, but enough to start the ball rolling.

As for paying attention, why do so many not notice the bus pulling up and the try  to make a last minute plunge to the second lane where all the people paying attention are.

Edited by SM42
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I can only report as I find. Unexpected red lights on the back of a car do confuse. Who switches the headlights on to pass on the shady side of a tree?

Unexpected, there is no such thing;  it is really unprepared!

Same as traffic lights suddenly changing, where in reality all a green light do is change to a yellow followed by a red!

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Unexpected, there is no such thing;  it is really unprepared!

Same as traffic lights suddenly changing, where in reality all a green light do is change to a yellow followed by a red!

In Brum, amber means hurry up and a red means three more and a bus please

Andy

• Funny 6

Also there is a lot of difference in brightness between a normal red rear light and the high intensity of a rear brake light. Sorry, I still put it down to inattention if they react by hitting their own brakes. Mine don't come on when passing a tree either, it has to be reasonably dark for them to come on, under a row of trees which overhang the road on a cloudy day for instance. As you say, SM42, it's as you find it but not as I do having been behind several cars where their auto lights have come on.

I would say that I'd rather have them come on when dark (and warn me if there is a duff bulb) it seems many of my fellow motorists could do with both systems if my drive home from work in the late hours is anything to go by!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Trouble is, there is too much 'style', not enough functionality. It used to be that indicator lamps and rear lamps were well defined, sometimes in separate housings. Now Ii've seen rear lights as two wavy lines of  bright leds, with the wavy line of the amber indicator leds in between. You can not easily see the indicators if the rears are on. Of course, i suppose stuff like that is all that is left to distinguish the current crop of jelly-mould cars- badge engineering at it's finest.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
On 26/11/2019 at 12:03, stewartingram said:

Easy rule of thumb for rear fogs: (which I was taught by the Police Driving School many years ago)

If it is foggy (generic description) rear fogs are needed if you can't see the lit normal rears on a car.

If you can easily see the car in front without lights, then the lights are not needed.

Yeah, I can't understand why more people don't get this, its not even one that should need explaining.

"I can see the ten cars spaced out in front of me that don't have their fog lights on" - so clearly you don't need yours to be seen by the car behind. 

"I can barely see that car in front, he should have his fog lights on" - so switch yours on, and off again when you can see him from a safe distance.

Easy, no?! 

On 26/11/2019 at 10:31, jonny777 said:

Many years ago I had a Mondeo and that had a five speed intermittent wiper setting, which at first I thought to be somewhat overkill; but after a few winter months became invaluable, because in most English weather except a violent thunderstorm the rain is barely heavy enough for the proper continuous wiper setting.

The slowest interval was about 15 seconds and they were graded in steps up to about 1 second. This was one of the most useful driving features I have ever had and about the only one that I have missed on cars which only have one intermittent wiper setting. 

Mine has auto wipers, but I find they either don't wipe when I want, or wipe when I don't, so leave them in manual mode. Irritatingly though, I can't flick-wipe, I have to click the stalk into the first position (intermittent) and then off again, as if I flick it the other way, it switches to automatic wipers. I've gone through the menus, I can disable things like auto lights, auto locking, follow-me-home lights, etc, but the option for auto wipers on/off is greyed out so I can't select it! No idea why.

1 hour ago, Torper said:

Santa doing a practice run in his new sleigh, didn't get it quite right though, slid down the roof.

Stewart

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, JDW said:

Yeah, I can't understand why more people don't get this, its not even one that should need explaining.

"I can see the ten cars spaced out in front of me that don't have their fog lights on" - so clearly you don't need yours to be seen by the car behind. 

"I can barely see that car in front, he should have his fog lights on" - so switch yours on, and off again when you can see him from a safe distance.

Easy, no?!

That would require them to think...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Zafira? High speed pursuit? Remind me to move to the Western Isles for the slower pace of life.

Quite where they thought they were going to drive off too is an interesting question, there's not that many miles of road on lewis and Harris..

The coppers probably knew who was driving, there's a good chance they are related and everyone knows everyone....

My guess is the hit the ridge on the front of the garden took off then flipped over.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@58.3494245,-6.519273,3a,24y,321.46h,83.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWsTP436wwJeTCYa350KWWA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by TheQ
  • Agree 1