The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

Of course today's driving standards are worse than past years. :scratchhead:

2013 1,713 people died on Britain’s roads

2003 it was 3,508

1990 there were 5,217 deaths

1980 5,953 lives were ended on the roads

1970 saw 7,499 families crying.

There are more cars on the roads, agreed they are made with more safety features but safety features do not prevent dangerous driving.

So if driving standards are worse and with more cars, why less deaths (and reported injuries)?

Our perception of how things were in the past might be a bit off kilter.

• RMweb Premium

The Severn Bridge, until recently, accepted only cash or their own electronic card. This latter only works at very slow speeds. Even the APRR transponder I use in France only works at relatively slow speeds (30 kph), and the 'non-stop' facility on that is relatively recent, and not universal.

In Australia all toll roads use electronic tags (some have options of cash) and can be driven past at the normal speed limit - up to 100kmh (and over!). While each owning company has their own version, they're all compatible, so you only need one tag & account, and billing is done via your preferred supplier, at normal rates for the particular road. For occasional & one off users there is the option of pre or post paid passes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toll_roads_in_Australia

We've had these electronic tags since 1999.

Edit to add.

Mind you we can't run a proper electronic ticketing system - look up Myki for Melbourne & Victoria's public transport. That will make you laugh!

Edited by kevinlms
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

look up Myki for Melbourne & Victoria's public transport. That will make you laugh!

Depends which side of the fence you're on.  Some of us have to manage its shortcomings at the customer interface for a living ;)

• RMweb Premium

Depends which side of the fence you're on.  Some of us have to manage its shortcomings at the customer interface for a living ;)

Very true and doubtless, a small number have made a LOT of money out of attempting to fix these problems.

2003 it was 3,508

There are more cars on the roads, agreed they are made with more safety features but safety features do not prevent dangerous driving.

So if driving standards are worse and with more cars, why less deaths (and reported injuries)?

The reduction in deaths has been caused by many differing reasons, car design is one of them, road design another, medical advances and congestion are others. If you drive regularly in London you would notice the difference, as I guess many other places judging the replies in this thread

We have a local Tesco's not too far away, youngsters (yes it is youngsters at night) will double park (sometimes on a zig zag line), rather than park their cars a bit further up the road.

I think if the gov wants to improve road safety, they should replace airbags in steering wheels with a 8" steel spike. THAT would improve peoples driving standards overnight.

I would just go for filling 1% of the airbags with shrapnel. Which 1% being a closely guarded secret.

As to ABS, there are situations it makes things worse (fresh snow for example). Modern lights are a pain, especially if you are in a fair low car, with the modern beam cut offs being very sudden and the dipped beam being very dazzling when it is aimed at you (and some of the daytime running lights are ludicrously bright - if they need to turn them down so you can see the indicator as many do automatically then maybe they should just make them less bright in the first place).

All the best

K

post-21705-0-48313900-1439106775.jpg

When the kids were young we lived in Kumasi, Ghana where the crew of this Hunslett 0-8-0T no. 34 would invite us up saying we gave them ‘lucky’ lotto numbers. Many a happy afternoon was spent shunting the local timber yards, assembling long logging trains for Takoradi for onward shipping abroad.

The mainline passed through the cloth section of Kumasi Central Market. Every time we steamed through – sometimes propelling a couple of loaded bogie timber trucks, the business women would have their young boy porters hastily disassemble their market stalls, then immediately replace them once we’d brushed past them.

This might happen every ten minutes (or less if we were just drawing up to clear a point).

Obviously outrageously dangerous – we require railways to be SAFE.

These pics for me represent the unacceptable dangers of driving unsafely through crowded streets.

And on rail in 2015: 332

among the 332 deaths were 293 suspected suicides and 22 fatal injuries caused by trespassing during 2014/15 - up from 300 in 2013/14 - the previous record.

It is highest number recorded in 11 years of records. (BBC news)

We tolerate such closeness and chaos on the street. Instead of old 34 on its rails, it might be a young lad gunning a hot Corsa.  Hardly a night passes without the TV news ‘where you are’ reporting more loss of life – mostly of pedestrians.

That’s why I welcome a future of automated cars on safer roads.

We can enjoy driving our ‘macho’ sporty stuff on closed roads.

dh

{Geordies round here bet on trotting horses racing along roads that are informally blocked off by the Police for brief periods.}

• Like 1

This is a good thread but there is a world of difference between discussing people driving through red lights and using smartphones at the wheel, and decrying ABS and modern driving aids just because they drive old bangers that don't have them.

• RMweb Gold

Nah the one that gets on my nerves this week is the drivers that expect a thank you on a silver platter simply because they fulfilled their legal obligation of giving way at a zebra crossing...I would rather pedestrians just thanked me by making their way across as swiftly as they can...

• RMweb Premium

The reduction in deaths has been caused by many differing reasons, car design is one of them, road design another, medical advances and congestion are others. If you drive regularly in London you would notice the difference, as I guess many other places judging the replies in this thread

We have a local Tesco's not too far away, youngsters (yes it is youngsters at night) will double park (sometimes on a zig zag line), rather than park their cars a bit further up the road.

Hi John

The road I live in also has our GP surgery. The parking along the road is so bad I can sometimes wait for five minutes to get from one end to my house. Cars abandoned not parked, people taking 6 or 7 attempts to parallel park, double parking (the carriage way is only two vehicles wide), up on the pavement, which is not that wide either and using the two turnings either side of the surgery as a figure of 8 roundabout until there is a space.

Who uses the GP surgery the most, not youngsters? And if not our retired populations cars it is the personalised number plated 4x4s owners.

There is a car park behind the village hall opposite the GP surgery it is always empty.  Most could walk the 20 extra yards from the car park.

As for less deaths and injuries on the road, I think some people are taking a bit more care as well.

"He who has never driven badly cast the first stone" :)

• RMweb Premium

I drive around the UK (and occasionally in Mainland Europe) and over the last few years major roadworks are affecting many Motorways. The roadworks on the M1 for example stretch for over 20 miles with average speed cameras in force. As my job requires a valid Driving Licence I either set the speed limiter or cruise control to 50 MPH and invariably stick to the nearside lane. I often find that a HGV is within a few feet of my rear bumper trying to push me along to match his 56MPH speed limiter. If the vehicle in front should suddenly brake my car would be reduced to a pile of scrap.

I think if the gov wants to improve road safety, they should replace airbags in steering wheels with a 8" steel spike. THAT would improve peoples driving standards overnight.

Well, that would be 'reverse' technology.....?

My Dellow has precisely that......a steering column, which goes all the  way to the  front of the car.....aimed straight for my chest..with no universal joints, cages or other such weak links to break in the event of a head-on.

On the other hand, the track is so [relatively] narrow [at 3 foot 9 inches], probably both front wheels would impact the  average obese micro car, causing he Dellow to either bounce off, or, more likely, climb up over the top of the oncoming car.

ABS, ESP, etc are all worthwhile technologies, especially for the  novice driver. I don't argue with that at all.

However, I am aware that, in general use, these technologies [for cost reasons] are actually quite basic.

For example, ABS usually only has one mode [or logic] of operation.

Very much, a 'one-size-fits-all'.

Yet, under various, more extreme road conditions, as has been pointed out above, ABS, and its operation, can be counter-productive.

[As an example, MAN trucks, in their off-road-capable range, have two modes of ABS.....since the standard, on-road mode cannot cope with off-road conditions, so must be changed by the  driver]

Park-assist is fine [i use shop windows...often more reliable?]....until it fails. Will the  first a driver knows it has failed, be when the rear bumper disintegrates?

Will the  vehicle manufacturer step in and foot the repair bill for other parties, if a parking bump occurs due to the  failure of park-assist at the wrong moment?

It is absolutely no use relying on a driver to spot/identify a warning light on the dash board.  From professional experience, I know far too many modern drivers have absolutely no idea what the warning lights on their cars actually mean..or refer to.

Nope, I think not......the Law will place the responsibility fairly & squarely on the  driver's shoulders, should an incident occur as a result of technology failure at the  wrong moment.

And how many do we know, would bleat & bleat, if that were the case?

I do think [again, from professional experience]....that if many drivers actually became properly aware of the  duties & responsibilities that having a driving licence, and driving a car, impose...they would sack the  whole idea and go by train.

[ A common complaint amongst my 'clients', is that they thought, choosing 'driver' as a trade, meant, 'here's the  keys, off you go'....and are shocked in extremis when they discover the complete truth about what being a 'driver' entails....]

2003 it was 3,508

Just look at the 2003 figure and compair it to the 2013 figure. How many cars in 2003 had side impact bar, Passinger survival cells, multiple airbags, NCAP crash testing or pre tensioning seatbelts? And in the 1970s you had ambulances that were converted ice cream vans :-) , now you have ambulances that are mini trauma wards on wheels, as well as paramedics who speed to get there first to provide at the scene aid. In the 70s and 80s you had cars like the 2cv, a car that came off worst in a RTC with a push bike. Now your cheap little runaround is built like a brick outhouse. Also, how many roundabouts have been changed to flat junctions controled by traffic lights (which also are set to control traffic speeds, so change in front of you even when there is no other car on the road, or even within 2 miles of you). The reduction in road deaths can be put down to better design, not to better use.

I had a Y Reg Sierra when they came out to replace the well liked Cortina. It was so rare than people came to looks at it in Porthmadog and Portmeirion, and you rarely get that these days, but it was as basic as it gets.

When it comes to computer gadgets in cars, my Mondeo and the current Focus Titanium have more than I will ever use although some bits are useful, like the constant read out of fuel consumption that makes me ease up off the gas. However, considering we are passing at combined speeds of 120mph on normal roads, the most important component is still mechanical and it's what keep us all apart on roads. The steering wheel.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Just look at the 2003 figure and compair it to the 2013 figure. How many cars in 2003 had side impact bar, Passinger survival cells, multiple airbags, NCAP crash testing or pre tensioning seatbelts? And in the 1970s you had ambulances that were converted ice cream vans :-) , now you have ambulances that are mini trauma wards on wheels, as well as paramedics who speed to get there first to provide at the scene aid. In the 70s and 80s you had cars like the 2cv, a car that came off worst in a RTC with a push bike. Now your cheap little runaround is built like a brick outhouse. Also, how many roundabouts have been changed to flat junctions controled by traffic lights (which also are set to control traffic speeds, so change in front of you even when there is no other car on the road, or even within 2 miles of you). The reduction in road deaths can be put down to better design, not to better use.

We have safer cars so can still drive like (insert your own non RMweb word) :nono: :nono: :nono:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When it comes to computer gadgets in cars, my Mondeo and the current Focus Titanium have more than I will ever use although some bits are useful, like the constant read out of fuel consumption that makes me ease up off the gas. 

My Focus Titanium X has the facility to self parallel Park, I've only used it twice in two years and that was just to see how it works!

My Focus Titanium X has the facility to self parallel Park, I've only used it twice in two years and that was just to see how it works!

I hadn't heard of that. To save me wading through thousands of pages, what does it do and how does one activate it?

Hi John

The road I live in also has our GP surgery. The parking along the road is so bad I can sometimes wait for five minutes to get from one end to my house. Cars abandoned not parked, people taking 6 or 7 attempts to parallel park, double parking (the carriage way is only two vehicles wide), up on the pavement, which is not that wide either and using the two turnings either side of the surgery as a figure of 8 roundabout until there is a space.

Who uses the GP surgery the most, not youngsters? And if not our retired populations cars it is the personalised number plated 4x4s owners.

There is a car park behind the village hall opposite the GP surgery it is always empty.  Most could walk the 20 extra yards from the car park.

As for less deaths and injuries on the road, I think some people are taking a bit more care as well.

"He who has never driven badly cast the first stone" :)

At a local supermarket in an area which has quite a few older people, some with disable badges just abandon their cars, certainly not parked. They have much wider spaces separated by large blue strips and one day a lady parked perfectly between the lines only to readjust her car so it straddled (at an angle) both blue strips either side of her parking bay. And as for parking wars some of these gentle folk get quite aggressive. And many totally fail to follow the white arrows showing the required traffic flow direction

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't heard of that. To save me wading through thousands of pages, what does it do and how does one activate it?

Basically when you approach a line of cars you slow down, press the "PARK button" and keep moving until the system sees a large enough space to park your car. You receive verbal / visual instructions to "Remove hands from steering wheel"; "Select forward / reverse Gear" , the cars steering is then controlled by the cars computer, you just change the gears as per instructions. It does a reasonable job in parking the car!!

"Will ABS always prevent a skid?"

How many of you will score 9/9 in this little quiz?

Cheers,

Mick

Well I didn't, got Q2 wrong - but then again, reading the road ahead and keeping an eye on the mirror means I rarely if ever have to brake harshly let alone get into a situaion where ABS operates. The car I've owned for the last 7 years has ABS, it's kicked in once when I wanted to characterise the car's response to driving in snow, not long after I first bought it. :)

Incidentally, still the same brake pads and discs from new!

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2

Wether or not these tools will still work when the cars have 150,000 miles on the clock and don't get serviced any more is any ones guess.

That's where your loathed Y reg Sierra driver, will still be able to drive safely because (s)he has retained the skills of so doing. :D

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1