The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

George Cole - Arthur Daley in Minder passes

beast66606

What a shame. One of the greats, but I don't think he knew it or would ever admit to it. Having seen him post-Minder on the odd chat show, what a very modest man. RIP.

• RMweb Premium

Arthur Daley was one of those roles that defined a certain type of character for subsequent shows and films. Just as you can see Maron Brando's influence in most portrayals of mafia god fathers since his seminal performance so you can see George Cole in so many TV spivs since Arthur Daley.

The Flash Harry and Arthur Daley characters have always been favourites of mine. Another of his roles that I always remember fondly is when he played Sir Giles Lynchwood if the mini series of Tom Sharpe's 'A Blott on the Landscape'. He had such along career in movies and on TV and radio (who remembers 'A Life of Bliss'?) that he always seemed to be around the house while I was growing up. You could see a lot of his mentor Alastair Sim in his slightly shonky but well meaning roles as a spiv and conman in his best known roles.

A great talent that will be sadly missed.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Good grief, it seems all the people telly people I grew up with  are leaving us.  That's a good clip of Minder the BBC are playing with a German coming up to him and saying Guten Morgen, ah hello Mr Morgan , says Arfur, then under his breath ...doesn't even sound Welsh!  Well it made me giggle

RIP George.

The Flash Harry and Arthur Daley characters have always been favourites of mine. Another of his roles that I always remember fondly is when he played Sir Giles Lynchwood if the mini series of Tom Sharpe's 'A Blott on the Landscape'. He had such along career in movies and on TV and radio (who remembers 'A Life of Bliss'?) that he always seemed to be around the house while I was growing up. You could see a lot of his mentor Alastair Sim in his slightly shonky but well meaning roles as a spiv and conman in his best known roles.

A great talent that will be sadly missed.

Dave

Agreed, and yes I do remember listening to 'A Life of Bliss' with Percy Edwards playing the 'bark' of Psyche, the dog !!

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear that George Cole has gone to the theatre in the sky. A great character.

One Sunday I was watching TV and he turned up in it as a young man flying a kite. I believe it was a W. Somerset Maugham triology. Anyone able to pinpoint it?

Edit

Got it. Thanks Mr Google!

It was 'The Kite' from The Quartet of 1948.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartet_%281948_film%29

Archived