Warley NEC - All over for another year. Feedback so Far.

wollastonblue

• RMweb Gold

I don't know about this year, but in the past I've witnessed the frenzy to buy those returns (mostly repaired faulty/damaged stock), most of which appeared to be priced at similar cost (and sometimes higher) to brand new examples from the likes of Hattons and Rails. I think they're "sold as seen" without a warranty, unlike brand new items, so unless there's a genuine bargain you have to consider if it's actually worth it.

Seems to depend year on year (or these days which of the many shows you catch them at)

Back at the members day they had a load of limited edition returns that had long since sold out, and were available at around the ??40 mark. In that case even if you got a non runner it would be cheaper to buy another loco and sell the body on than to buy the loco on the 2nd hand market.

This year (maybe as a result of all of those other shows they have done) I didnt see that much that appealed, and as a result didnt bother even waiting for the show to open before walking away from the stand, but in previous years I have had some bargains. All but one have turned out to be the same as buying new (sadly that one loco that wasnt, a Virgin 57) was a complete dog, and to fix it has required a complete strip down of the chassis and a scratch built cab door window.) Most annoying as that loco is now unwanted and still hasnt been put back together (and even with the discounted price I paid for it will need putting back together before I can sell it...)

Still, Bachmann are a lot better these days, this year all of the boxes had writing on the end to explain what (if anything) was wrong with them, so unless you didnt bother reading the box there was a lot less chance of coming home to find out youve picked up a mess.

Many thanks to everyone who has given their views on Warley along with those who posted photographs. As I've not ever been to Warley (will do one day) it's been good to read the different views etc. So many thanks to everyone who has taken the time and trouble to post for those who weren't able to attend.

Some cracking photos too!

I spent most of the time on the Wild Swan stand, but when I did look round I thought it was a better show than in previous years. I have booked some layouts for Railex 2012 hopefully the big Dutch layout and others.

I picked up a Bachman 4MT tank at the end of the show for ??40 wish I had gone for a Fairburn tank too, in the last half hour the Bachman stand do "make me a silly offer, and take it away"

David

Speaking as someone with more years experience than I care to remember of getting vehicles in and out of the NEC, I can vouch that it is a requirement to ensure that all vehicle movements within halls are conducted in a safe manner. In effect it means they have to be marshalled from when they pass the entry door. The organisers will have had to submit a risk assessment to the NEC and I doubt if they would accept any vehicles being moved without being accompanied by a marshall on foot.

To be honest the best way around the show I find unless your after something specific and that being the reason you go. I find it best to get in early and head to the layouts, while a vast majority head to the traders, by the time you've been around all the layouts or a vast proportion those that piled in to the traders section will have dispersed a little and it allows a more pleasant affair of wondering around looking what to spend silly amounts of money on.

With the layouts being laid out in what appeared to be scale specific areas I left the layouts I knew wouldn't hold much interest for me.

Which is exactly the way to visit a theme park such as Disneyland; head straight for the far end and work your way back.

Really sorry to have missed this years show as I was hit by winter vomiting virus, aka Norovirus, late on Friday, which wiped my weekend out. From the reports and pictures on here there looks to have been a higher overall standard than I have seen at the last four years worth of shows.

• RMweb Gold

i brought a wagon kit but it has no wheels or coupling and they never even told me :(

Cutchie,

This is quite normal for wagon kits. There are many different couplings of choice, and at least 3 gauges that I can think of for 4mm scale wheels. Maybe the people who sold it to you thought that you knew. What model is it?

Cutchie,

This is quite normal for wagon kits. There are many different couplings of choice, and at least 3 gauges that I can think of for 4mm scale wheels. Maybe the people who sold it to you thought that you knew. What model is it?

Thats what I asked, but didn't explain that part.

I went on Sunday and to be honest was a bit apprehensive after reading some of the views from the saturday, however I had a great day.

I finished nights at 7 and got a lift up there straight after, we arrived at about 9:30 and walked straight in, I had visions of long queues even though we had advance tickets but no, it was as smooth as clockwork.

I had a huge breakfast roll to start the day, served by very friendly staff, I then had a look around the hall, once again, no problems at all, no bumping of rucsacks or anything. Didn't have to wait long for a good viewing space with most of the layouts.

I was impressed with the quality of most of the layouts, I'm into presnt day models so I was happy with the layouts suiting my interest, farkham and Vauxhall Road were on my favourites list, I especially liked Farkham's leaflet, very professional and informative, good track plan included too.

I too am no good at remebering names, but the O gauge layout with the huge bridge was really good (even if it was steam) laugh.gif

Trade stands were a plenty, and I made the mistake of buying two wagons at ??24.99, only to find them a few quid cheaper on another one.. ######...

It was a long day but a great one, well done to all involved, especially the operators, I don't know how you do it, particulary those who operate small layouts with a limited track plan.

I think it was the best one out of the 3 I have been to, and yes I would go again.

wav.gif

cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

To quote from the Exhibitor's Manual that I assume was supplied to everyone (mine was in the post a few weeks ago)

. . . . under the direction of the marshalls, who will be wearing yellow reflective jackets and they will guide you through the stands to avoid any damage.

A four page risk assessment was also sent out indicating that the organisers had trained their stewards in 'controlled vehicle movements'

Mike

EDIT - sorry the original posting that I was quoting from has gone - but it was about vehicles in the hall and I can't recall the exact words :icon_what:

That amuses me - and interests me too as I was always under the impression that they [the NEC] would "rent" it's space out on a "Per-Hlall, Per-Day" basis, enusring you'd have got the whole hall.... huh.gif

It does. That is why it is called Warley. The Warley Model Railway Club undertake to rent the hall and then, in turn rent out space to traders whose rent helps to pay for the layouts to attend. The NEC help Warley MRC and I presume there are contract dates and 'sell by' dates. A lot of it is done by bookings and advance deposits and the like.

The general consensus amongst the trade is 'we have to be here, it is difficult to make a profit anyway, it costs too much, if we don't come they will think we are dead/bust/going under, we have to be here'.

The lights were better this year and the stands were wider apart filling the whole hall. I liked that there seemed less of the box shifter mentality and a few more scratchbulders and 'never-seen-away-from-exhibition-can't afford-website-ordering' style traders.

As a trade stand helper, I felt it was fun.

In commercial terms, I really feel that Warley is an ideal opportunity to showcase products. Good marketing and selling skills for unique or different products are rewarded.

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone got any more pictures of Willesden Junction" (the WW1 layout) and what scale was it?

Unfortunately, I was unable to get to the NEC this year...

Narrowman

It's a 4mm scale 009 layout.I can post some old pictures of it if you really want.

As for the lighting.if you thought it was dark during the show,it got even darker afterwards.Or did I imagine that?

Thoroughly enjoyed the show - seemed better than last year, although I was better prepared this year and took cash and cheque book - didn't just rely on credit cards!

I went on Sunday, and thought the crowds were managable and managed to pick up (at last!) a Green Heljan Hymek, plus some 009 impulse buys from the Parkside Dundas stand.

Some great layouts especially County Gate, Penhallack, and Hassell Harbour. The Dutch layout and the Harz-style layout were also good, and I especially liked the Swiss layout with the cowbells used to indicate train movements! Will be back next year! :)

Has anyone got any more pictures of Willesden Junction" (the WW1 layout) and what scale was it?

Narrowman

I posted a couple of photos of it a few pages back, here's a direct link http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/1023-warley-nec-all-over-for-another-year-feedback-so-far/page__view__findpost__p__29211

• RMweb Gold

It does. That is why it is called Warley. The Warley Model Railway Club undertake to rent the hall and then, in turn rent out space to traders whose rent helps to pay for the layouts to attend. The NEC help Warley MRC and I presume there are contract dates and 'sell by' dates. A lot of it is done by bookings and advance deposits and the like.

The general consensus amongst the trade is 'we have to be here, it is difficult to make a profit anyway, it costs too much, if we don't come they will think we are dead/bust/going under, we have to be here'.

The lights were better this year and the stands were wider apart filling the whole hall.

Sorry but I'm a bit confused here - when I was there on Saturday not only were there areas of the hall which were clearly blocked off with large barriers/panels but at one point an announcement was made not to go past those barriers. As far as I could see the exhibition was a long way from occupying the whole of the hall - and the consequence of that was the severe crowding which at times occurred down the left side of the exhibition.

So are you suggesting that although the club had the whole hall it didn't use all of the space because it didn't rent out all the room it had available for traders?

Sorry but I'm a bit confused here - when I was there on Saturday not only were there areas of the hall which were clearly blocked off with large barriers/panels but at one point an announcement was made not to go past those barriers. As far as I could see the exhibition was a long way from occupying the whole of the hall - and the consequence of that was the severe crowding which at times occurred down the left side of the exhibition.

So are you suggesting that although the club had the whole hall it didn't use all of the space because it didn't rent out all the room it had available for traders?

The area behind the screens was used once the show had closed on the Sunday as a loading area for vehicles.

Jonathan.

• RMweb Gold

Narrowman

OO9

post-2-12590585259654_thumb.jpg

post-2-12590585272178_thumb.jpg

post-2-12590585280934_thumb.jpg

post-2-12590585300759_thumb.jpg

post-2-12590585406147_thumb.jpg

I went for the first time this year and was pleasantly surprised, having heard horror stories about vast crowds etc

Getting there was easy. There was engineering work between Nottingham and Derby, so this involved catching a replacement bus. As a result it took about an hour and ten minutes to get to New Street from Nottingham, rather than the usual hour and fifteen. I??™m still slightly confused about that one....

I thought the quality of layouts was top notch. I don??™t normally pay much attention to continental stuff, but the layout from Holland was brilliant as was the vast German G scale one. I never thought LGB could look anything other than shiny and toy like until I saw that. It also felt like a real railway with trains starting from opposite ends and then passing at the intermediate station. Other highlights were the WW1 trench layout, the model of Dinas on the Festiniog railway and the 1960s Southern Electric suburban layout.

A good selection of traders as well ??“ even the fairly elusive ABS was there with his selection of wagon kits and bits.

There seemed plenty of space and not too much crowding. Everyone seemed to have had a bath and washed their clothes, and left their massive backpacks at home. The food wasn??™t as cheap as it could have been, but this is par for the course with a major venue like the NEC.

All in all a good day out.

The members of Hessle MRG had their annual outing to Warley on Sunday. Eleven of us made the trip this year and a good time was had by all.

Here's a picture of "The Penguin of Doom" enjoying his day out.

post-432-12590728876236_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the Little Chef we visited on the way home had not been blessed by Heston's prescence, I think he would have been somewhat disappointed with the fare provided, I could have re-soled my hiking boots with the burgers!

• RMweb Gold

This year we took iron rations (Station Cat visiting Tesco on our behalf on the day before our Warley trip) as I have found the catering at the large exhibition venues to be of varying quality and usually involving a lot of queueing in order to pay a lot of money. Often the cost seems to be based more on the amount of time you spend in the queue rather than the quality/quantity of the food & drink :angry:

By contrast the catering at smaller exhibitions usually seems to shine with reasonable prices and good food - Wycrail this year was a revelation on the cake front and the 'college style' catering at TrainsWest was not to be sniffed at in terms of either quality or good value for money. And hoinestly I don't really see this pattern changing much - the big venue 'exhibition caterers' are working to a particuilar market area and the presence of an occasional model railway exhibition in their fiefdom is not, I think, likely to swing them from their usual habits.

• RMweb Gold

Nice to meet some new faces, especially Craig W(I will be in touch regarding the layout details once we get this years show out of the way in 3 weeks) - didn't make the meets I'm afraid but still chatted to a few members.

The layouts were mixed (in my opinion) some nice some not so nice but I'm sure most would find something they liked.

Once of the advantages of demos is we just put the stuff in crates, wheel it out and home we go.

One comment a trader made to me was he makes as much profit at Warley as he does at a smaller show - but he has to work a lot harder and sell a lot more stuff due to the higher rental costs so he's considering not bothering.

PS - I did like the ice cream :D

Archived