RMweb

Dapol 08

Kickstart

You can see how wars get started by Reading all this. Such massive first world problems.

I might be in the minority but if it runs well, doesn't fail after a while and looks good, even if there are some inaccuracies I am happy.

Understand but it's worth trying to get it right for the majority and the minority. If you say nothing and give in then you get what is on offer, if you speak up it just might make a difference that satisfies even more us, more likely to lead to increased customer confidence in the product and more sales.

Understand but it's worth trying to get it right for the majority and the minority. If you say nothing and give in then you get what is on offer, if you speak up it just might make a difference that satisfies even more us, more likely to lead to increased customer confidence in the product and more sales.

Hear, hear, well put, I want the best for all and Dapol is so, so nearly there, lets hope we get heard.

I also agree, we are not drinking outa muddy puddles or living in mud huts, thank goodness, there are issues in this country with £s seemingly made of cork and floating to the top, but it's all relative, of course it is.

The birth of this model has been problematic and RW has helped turn it around for a good price, a fair price, Dapol's 'making a fair profit' price as quoted and instigated by Dave Jones sometime back. DJ did a good job so has RW, the factory supplies excellent models to other manufacturers, so one wonders what happened in between!?

It still seems apparent that the GFYE model has had its livery spec changed?....the now stated GFYE model should really be a special edition (perhaps at a/the higher price), then the namer too if Dapol wanted to, the first release should be the common or garden version of the GFYE 08, IMHHO, ie at the £170 price.

Not sure what the price will be for further releases?

It's been an interesting exercise for me to research some of the livery options a regional allocations etc., working out the various boxes, door types is even more of a minefield, it isnt easy keeping tabs on the prototype, one of the most recent publications, MLI, shows, photographically, examples of the type too, quite a useful bookzine type publication.

Speaking with a couple of magazine editors today, and although prototype research and colour photos are more readily available - beware those with cloud storage, always have a home based back ups too - many folk dont have vast libraries of info, thats where forums such as RMW are useful so as to share such information. One would hope that the manufacturers have their own mini libraries, some of the cottage industry kit manufacturers are often very clued up too, with source material and tacit knowledge.

We are ALL ignorant to something though and thus cant know it all.

Seems like we have all covered everything until we hear from Dapol, definitavly, whether or not the BFYE 08 will have livery errors tweaked (at the very least the awkward combi of grill and colour) and if the GFYE with grey bonnet and cab roof (should be BLACK in these areas) is the only GFYE loco to be released at the intro price etc etc etc..

Atvb

CME

PS apologies for any typos, mobile device and lower spectrum dyslexic.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I can't help but feel you'd be better directing your strength of feeling towards some greater cause than approximately 2cm2 of yellow paint. There are a vast number of causes in this world that could benefit from people speaking up to make a difference, despite certain folks consistent efforts to persuade us otherwise I'm really not convinced this is one of them.

Would I like Dapol to get the liveries right? Of course. Do I think it's a shame that they keep getting so close and then making a bit of a pig's ear at the last hurdle? Definitely. Do I think that getting very angry about it on the internet is a good use of my time? Naaa....

• Like 1

Guest 40-something

Hear, hear, well put, I want the best for all and Dapol is so, so nearly there, lets hope we get heard.

I also agree, we are not drinking outa muddy puddles or living in mud huts, thank goodness, there are issues in this country with £s seemingly made of cork and floating to the top, but it's all relative, of course it is.

The birth of this model has been problematic and RW has helped turn it around for a good price, a fair price, Dapol's 'making a fair profit' price as quoted and instigated by Dave Jones sometime back. DJ did a good job so has RW, the factory supplies excellent models to other manufacturers, so one wonders what happened in between!?

It still seems apparent that the GFYE model has had its livery spec changed?....the now stated GFYE model should really be a special edition (perhaps at a/the higher price), then the namer too if Dapol wanted to, the first release should be the common or garden version of the GFYE 08, IMHHO, ie at the £170 price.

Not sure what the price will be for further releases?

It's been an interesting exercise for me to research some of the livery options a regional allocations etc., working out the various boxes, door types is even more of a minefield, it isnt easy keeping tabs on the prototype, one of the most recent publications, MLI, shows, photographically, examples of the type too, quite a useful bookzine type publication.

Speaking with a couple of magazine editors today, and although prototype research and colour photos are more readily available - beware those with cloud storage, always have a home based back ups too - many folk dont have vast libraries of info, thats where forums such as RMW are useful so as to share such information. One would hope that the manufacturers have their own mini libraries, some of the cottage industry kit manufacturers are often very clued up too, with source material and tacit knowledge.

We are ALL ignorant to something though and thus cant know it all.

Seems like we have all covered everything until we hear from Dapol, definitavly, whether or not the BFYE 08 will have livery errors tweaked (at the very least the awkward combi of grill and colour) and if the GFYE with grey bonnet and cab roof (should be BLACK in these areas) is the only GFYE loco to be released at the intro price etc etc etc..

Atvb

CME

PS apologies for any typos, mobile device and lower spectrum dyslexic.

The GYFE bonnet and cab roof are black, as per this livery diagram...

I can't help but feel you'd be better directing your strength of feeling towards some greater cause than approximately 2cm2 of yellow paint. There are a vast number of causes in this world that could benefit from people speaking up to make a difference, despite certain folks consistent efforts to persuade us otherwise I'm really not convinced this is one of them.

Would I like Dapol to get the liveries right? Of course. Do I think it's a shame that they keep getting so close and then making a bit of a pig's ear at the last hurdle? Definitely. Do I think that getting very angry about it on the internet is a good use of my time? Naaa....

I think that 'anger' is a strong word-lifes too short to get angry over a toy loco, lets just say that we are all passionate about the model/project LOL!

The GYFE bonnet and cab roof are black, as per this livery diagram...

Not according to Dapol et al.....theyve portrayed them as GREY! Hence my laboured comments, perhaps Dapol's directors' fav group is Led Zep! Fav track? COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN '....it's always the same, having a nervous breakdown you drive me insane!....<to middle eight and guitar solo> LOL!! Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Guest 40-something
Exactly. The strident nature in the communication of some of those dissatisfied is mind boggling, both here and on the Dapol site. A total lack of perspective I would say[/quote

...what does that mean?

It means those who cannot accept a few livery errors and act like its the end of the world need to get a grip.  There are real problems out there that are worth getting worked up about a damn site more than a toy train with the wrong colour on its roof.

If I was to let all the livery, detail and shape errors I've noticed over my years of modelling then I'd be living in a white room with padded walls, dribbling on my jacket that kind souls button behind me.

Get annoyed by all means if the product is not to your satisfaction, jjust dont buy it.  Simple.  If you really want an 08 to your spec then either wait for one to be produced, which it may be, or repaint it (or learn if you're not experienced in that field, or get someone to paint it for you).

This is a hobby, a distraction, not life and death

Guest 40-something

I think that 'anger' is a strong word-lifes too short to get angry over a toy loco, lets just say that we are all passionate about the model/project LOL!

Not according to Dapol et al.....theyve portrayed them as GREY! Hence my laboured comments, perhaps Dapol's directors' fav group is Led Zep! Fav track? COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN '....it's always the same, having a nervous breakdown you drive me insane!....<to middle eight and guitar solo> LOL!!

Only going by the livery diagram where the colour chart says its black, as per the underframe

Im sorry, I cant take anyone seriously that types LOL

Only going by the livery diagram where the colour chart says its black, as per the underframe

Quite correct 40-something, the livery diagram is correct if you look at the colour key.

I don't think I'm alone in wondering if Dapol have put a little effort into finding examples that are a bit "left field". If so fine. Hornby did one with a black nose rather than wasp stripes but I don't recall anyone getting that exercised over it.

I have to say there's been a lot of ill informed twaddle bandied about - con-rod colours for example. There were nearly a thousand of these built so all sorts of weird variations from the norm (whatever that is) is to be expected. OK so the first release is really on applicable to the first few hundred but they encompassed a deal of variations.

I'm surprised no-ones mentioned this though I might well have missed it  http://www.martinbray-ukloco.com/08001-09205.htm

Lets wait to see what turns up in the boxes and then start panicking...... :-)

Stu

In an earlier post someone commented that the lighting conduit on the cab end was bent wrong but if you look at this picture and compare to the Dapol livery diagram you will see it's correct. http://www.martinbray-ukloco.com/images/class08-w/08063-shildonww-100582-w.jpg

I think, as Lapford states above that Dapol have simply chosen some "left field" examples, as others have said there was a lot of variations in the 08 fleet.

• Like 1

The GYFE bonnet and cab roof are black, as per this livery diagram...

The bonnet is GREY on that diagram, no matter what the key says. When I ordered my green with stripes version I must confess it never occurred to me that the bonnet would be anything other than green. Yes, I know, never assume. 

If they really supply them in that bizzarre livery I wonder how many shops will have cancelled orders and be stuck with models they can't sell. And no, I can't make the correct  shade of green and paint it on top of black so it matches the rest of the model.

Ed

Perhaps Mr Webster should turn his attention to this matter ASAP.

• RMweb Gold

When I ordered my green with stripes version I must confess it never occurred to me that the bonnet would be anything other than green. Yes, I know, never assume. 

I made the same assumption - and I have now just switched my Green order to a pre-Tops Blue as I can make the changes to make it more "typical" myself - whereas matching and repainting a green roof was something I'd prefer not to do....

Chris

Please don't keep cancelling orders. If they end up flogging off surplus stock cheap, I just might be tempted to buy one, put the wheels outside the frames, widen the footplate, and repaint it in a GWR livery from the broad gauge era. That would wind up just about everyone ;).

• Like 1

Quite correct 40-something, the livery diagram is correct if you look at the colour key.

I don't think I'm alone in wondering if Dapol have put a little effort into finding examples that are a bit "left field". If so fine. Hornby did one with a black nose rather than wasp stripes but I don't recall anyone getting that exercised over it.

I have to say there's been a lot of ill informed twaddle bandied about - con-rod colours for example. There were nearly a thousand of these built so all sorts of weird variations from the norm (whatever that is) is to be expected. OK so the first release is really on applicable to the first few hundred but they encompassed a deal of variations.

I'm surprised no-ones mentioned this though I might well have missed it  http://www.martinbray-ukloco.com/08001-09205.htm

Lets wait to see what turns up in the boxes and then start panicking...... :-)

Stu

Gday there,

Thanks for that link. Excellent website, never seen or heard of it before.

Lots of photos to look at, will be referring back to it many times in the future. Great reference material for weathering.

Cheers Glenn

wrt grey roof  try reading the blog, referred to before on here https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/o-gauge-models/locomotives/class-08/project-managers-blog-ai/394-o-class-08-opening-statement post #9 if you can't be arsed to look through all of it.

This thread here on rmw, displays a fascinating view into the mental state of railway 'modellers', keep it coming. I thought it was meant to be fun.

The bonnet is GREY on that diagram, no matter what the key says. When I ordered my green with stripes version I must confess it never occurred to me that the bonnet would be anything other than green. Yes, I know, never assume. 

…..

Correct, but hopefully you will receive a model, not the diagram!  In which case you should receive a green 08 with a black top.

Edited by Osgood

Guest 40-something

If they really supply them in that bizzarre livery I wonder how many shops will have cancelled orders and be stuck with models they can't sell. And no, I can't make the correct shade of green and paint it on top of black so it matches the rest of the model.

Ed

Perhaps Mr Webster should turn his attention to this matter ASAP.

Yes it is very grey, as is the underframe, as is the colour key on the top right that tells you the very grey coloured areas are black.

• Like 3

Yeah, right. We are talking about railway modellers here!

Personally it's not nearly enough desert sand for my tastes, but there you go.

Where's the sick bag icon :O

Paul

[old enough to have nearly thrown up on the Western diesel!]

By the way I was going to link to the photos of 08s I have with black cab roofs, black hoods and other changes, but they wouldn't be believed anyway! http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/br0809

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 3

Really enjoying this thread. Some bits read like "War & Peace" at extreme length and others are pure Brian Rix farce.

I have no affiliation with Dapol, but I do take notice of what they have written on their own Dapol Digest with regard to the "grey" versus "black" debate. It is really easy to understand if read calmly. Dapol have also stated that the tooling provides the opportunity to make almost any of the hundreds of Class 08 blends of bits and pieces, as well as the livery details to go with them. The first couple might not be what some folk regard as standard, but if Dapol were making a standard BFYE there would be someone who criticised that standard as not being to their liking.

My screen name on here gives a good clue to my real name. Lose the 22, and put a space between the 4th and 5th letters. On reflection one of the really great things about my range of raw brass conversion sides for SNCF Corail coaches was that my customers and I did not get involved in the livery debate. I gave them a range of links to possible liveries and they chose the ones they wanted and painted them to their own satisfaction.

Time to get a quick ice cream before the next Act comes on stage.

• Like 2

For information.....

You will find the following infomation from Andy who works for Dapol in the digest for the Class 08 which was posted today on their site. It confirms Dapol will not be producing a Wasp Striped and Green Bonnet version until sometime in the future. But DCC Supplies have commissioned Dapol to produce this version for themselves and it will be available in the next batch expected in November (and will be in the same shipping container as the Dapol Wasp/Green/Black Roof/Black Bonnet version as far as I'm led to believe). This special commission is not discounted.

Andy from Dapol wrote....

The model is per the prototype (Andy refers to photo which can be seen on the Dapol digest at this point) i.e. Green Body, Yellow/Black wasp striped radiator area, with black cab roof and black hood upper. You mention that you are seeking an early crest version, do you note that version (7D-008-003) is BR LATE crest ? so it may not be what you require after all?

If you are looking for EARLY crest version, then 7D-008-001 maybe more to your needs. The artwork is on this page, but for ease, it is all over green, NO wasp stripes with Black cab roof (another common variant).

For an EARLY crest WITH wasp stripes, try DCC Supplies. They have commissioned an Early Crest Green/wasp stripes with black cab roof - Due in the second container, so (at the time of writing) around 2 weeks after the 1st delivery. Further information is here: http://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-11...sp-stripes.htm

We will be producing many other liveries for a long time yet, so your 100% green will undoubtedly be produced in due course.

End of Andy's quote.

• Like 1