Dapol 08

Kickstart

• RMweb Premium

As promised here is further info that has come to light;-

1) Some retailers are STILL advertising un-numbered versions for sale = more confusion?;

If one is not happy with the proposed Dapol 08, one can change the order for a different livery/version (as it stands the Dapol 08 looks to be a very good model) or seek out the MMP or JLTRT versions both of which can be made into superbly accurate models of most of the variants between them. One pays their money and thus makes their choice.

Happy modelling everyone!

ATVB

CME

Hi CME,

Is #1 suggesting that un-numbered locos are no longer a thing, I've got an un-numbered one on order. A source if you have one would be good.

I've checked two retailers - one offering un-numbered, one not. even Dapol's own Digest forum suggests un-numbered versions will be available. Changing a number isn't a pain but it would be an annoyance. I've already had to amend my order once as the SKU for a BR Blue became Early crest black!

Edited by maq1988

• RMweb Premium

5) Dapol '......WONT be producing the 08 variants with small/internal engine compartment door hinges, '.....which will make modelling of those members of the class with those types of doors/hinges ie certain variations - the liveries for EWS versions et al -problematic....' (in précis and not verbatim via one of my friends and his trade contacts). The caveat is; 'although with the awful communications this fact may not be cast in stone' (in précis and not verbatim).

Which doesn't square with a post on the Dapol forum by 'Richard Dapol' on 15 June which states:

I am the product development manager. As you can imagine the class 08 diesel is a minefield of detail differences so we decided to start at the beginning with the first series of locomotives depicting the original build with long hood hinges and only vacuum braked, this ensured that we could use basically one set of parts, but cover the most popular post war period of the 1950s through to 1960s. Future models will include the later builds of pressed steel doors and steel cab doors. Chassis details will also include air braking equipment, so we can decorate an EWS version.

(my italics/bold)

If that has altered, then it seems a very short-sighted decision, especially if (as implied elsewhere on the Dapol forum) the tooling already incorporates facility to alter those details...

Edited by CloggyDeux

On another much more urgent matter (for me at any rate) - 

Can anyone advise what the floor of an 08 engine compartment looks like?

I think it might be a generally flat deck, maybe slightly lower than footplate level, with possibly a big rectangular cut-out for the engine sump (does the 6V in this application have a sump?).

I cannot find any photographs showing this detail.  Not that I've looked at them all - I just keep finding more and more pics of 08s online!

Thanks in advance.

Re - engine compartment floor:

Big thanks to the members who responded to my request - an image of a loco in course of construction at Darlington at just the right stage, one of an engineless and bonnetless 08 being hauled under an overbridge (what was the chance of that?!) and a link to a driver have given me the info I was looking for.

post-17823-0-07416500-1474056076.gif

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

CME

sorry but you present as absolute fact that which is your experience or opinion. You may not have received a response to your email but plenty of people have (myself included).

For all you say about religious supporters of Dapol are you not guilty of the opposite ie religious criticism of Dapol?

FWIW I have no stake in protecting Dapol, I just happen to think your hatchet jobs are not the fair, honest and amiable stance you make out.

Cheers Mike

Hi All,

I have replied to individual Posters - via PM - re their comments over concerns in future production runs-suffice to say that the info I have Posted is accurate according to leading Dapol distributors. More confussion in terms of comms. from Dapol? Who knows.....time will tell, frankly Im tired of it all.

To those who have sent me well wishes and kind words-many, many thanks they are very much appreciated, thank you all.

Those with the continued derogatory and unwelcome comments? DONT SHOT THE MESSENGER!

......And why the negative vibe? Is it worth being nasty to another human-being over a toy loco? Over a company that treats customers, who may want to spend £600 each with them with contempt??!! In addition, I am as honest as the day is long 'Red Death' (BTW thanks for your apology prior to your comments-it's appreciated) - I have given facts, info that comes from trustworthy folk who have spoken/corresponded with several reputable box shifters, who in turn have quoted Dapol.....<sighs, shakes his head, walks away, muttering something about boiled frogs...>.

BTW, as a point of ref, it ISNT JUST me that hasnt had a reply from Dapol-but that's okay 'cause that appears to be par for the course for them.....I wish folks would bother to read, comprehend and thus digest all that Ive written and its intent.

I DONT HAVE A HIDDEN AGENDA, nor do I hunt in packs or 'stalk' others, yet that is happening to me now.

Happy modelling all!

Atvb,

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Unless you actually state your sources then you may as well be talking a load of dingo's kidneys- stating "this is true because I am honest" is entirely meaningless. You prattle on at length about "shills and apologists" yet surely without actually stating your connections you could be just the same, only coming at it from the other direction?

Since you will inevitably point this out, I should add that I'm friends with the team at Antics. No business connection but as the local 0 gauge group has links with the business (Antics sponsors the test track) I must claim an "interest". They get frustrated with the delays from Dapol too and I'm sure they'd rather have things painted in the right livery when they do turn up but unlike your unnamed trade contacts they inexplicably don't seem to want the very fires of hell to rain down upon Dapol when they get it wrong.

• Like 9

Sheesh! I have 3 weeks away from reading the forum and come back to WW3 what is wrong with people?

Bottlewasher, I have no idea if your intentions are good or bad anymore and I no longer care, all I know is that I think it best if you just leave it! Step away from the thread, because you may have good intentions but unfortunately you are winding up a lot of people and hidden threats of lawyers and warning people? And bold lettering? Really? That's seriously not helping your cause. Let's all just calm down and please get back to the model 08 and enjoy our hobby, that's all I come here for. After a stressful day at work the last thing anyone needs is this kind of talk. My hobby is supposed to be fun! Is it time for a mod to close this thread? I hope not but it needs to get back on track pretty sharpish or it will get closed!

BTW it seems we have to declare any allegiances? I know no one in the manufacturing industry, I'm not pals with anyone on the retail side and if I'm totally honest I don't and never will care about that sort of thing.

All I know is that I like the look of the model, I have one preordered and I look forward to the day I get it and get the chance to weather it.

• Like 1

Getting back on track, after a bit of research I settled on turning mine into 08141 (before it got the Tinsley painters embellishments in the form of the Manvers name) as I have a few photos of her and I was wondering if any of you know what could have caused such heavy black oil staining? Also on the two doors (one with the name and on at the side of it) what could have caused such a strange circular mark? (I'm pondering how to recreate the mark)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackwatch55013/7159827559/in/photolist-bUFZhK-bUFZcV-8hqkTM-82dv32-82dv7B-82dva6-82gBDJ

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackwatch55013/4608253299/in/photolist-bUFZhK-bUFZcV-8hqkTM-82dv32-82dv7B-82dva6-82gBDJ/

Sheesh! I have 3 weeks away from reading the forum and come back to WW3 what is wrong with people?

Bottlewasher, I have no idea if your intentions are good or bad anymore and I no longer care, all I know is that I think it best if you just leave it! Step away from the thread, because you may have good intentions but unfortunately you are winding up a lot of people and hidden threats of lawyers and warning people? And bold lettering? Really? That's seriously not helping your cause. Let's all just calm down and please get back to the model 08 and enjoy our hobby, that's all I come here for. After a stressful day at work the last thing anyone needs is this kind of talk. My hobby is supposed to be fun! Is it time for a mod to close this thread? I hope not but it needs to get back on track pretty sharpish or it will get closed!

BTW it seems we have to declare any allegiances? I know no one in the manufacturing industry, I'm not pals with anyone on the retail side and if I'm totally honest I don't and never will care about that sort of thing.

All I know is that I like the look of the model, I have one preordered and I look forward to the day I get it and get the chance to weather it.

I totally agree with every word, having had one of these models in my hand and had a good look at it, for £140 what do some people want. This thread is a total waste of time.

Edited by davy crockett
  • Like 2

Wonder if the 08 will become a classic Dapol collectible, just like this little fellal?

Dr. Who Silurian

post-17823-0-19088400-1474129925.jpg

Who knows - Dapol may be getting Richard Webster to design a range of

"ANOTHER FAMOUS RMWEB MEMBER from Dapol"

at this very moment!

Edited by Osgood

I have two on order, a Green, late crest, wasp stripes, un-numbered and a blue pre TOPS with wasp stripes.

So going back to the hinges, can we be definitive as to which 08's lasted into the 80's in BR Blue with Wasp stripes and the longer hinges please?

I have read some of the posts, but I've found them a little confusing (doesn't take much with me sometimes!!!), and all the frothing doesn't help either!!!!

I'll be renumbering the pre-TOPS blue one as a TOPS loco, as I couldn't get a pre-order on a TOPS blue one as they'd sold out of pre-orders with my supplier!!!

Thanks in advance

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Getting back on track, after a bit of research I settled on turning mine into 08141 (before it got the Tinsley painters embellishments in the form of the Manvers name) as I have a few photos of her and I was wondering if any of you know what could have caused such heavy black oil staining? Also on the two doors (one with the name and on at the side of it) what could have caused such a strange circular mark? (I'm pondering how to recreate the mark)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackwatch55013/7159827559/in/photolist-bUFZhK-bUFZcV-8hqkTM-82dv32-82dv7B-82dva6-82gBDJ

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackwatch55013/4608253299/in/photolist-bUFZhK-bUFZcV-8hqkTM-82dv32-82dv7B-82dva6-82gBDJ/

With the circular mark, I wonder if it is caused by some sort of seal along the edge of the door coming loose and flapping in the wind? I'm sure there was a thread on similar circular marks on the roofs of diesels somewhere on here before. Although, I do wonder if an 08 would do sufficient mileage at a high enough speed for the cleaning effect to occur? That said, when you look on detail, the circle isn't "solid" further up, it's slightly more of an outline, which would match with something flapping, and being restrained by the upper door catches.

I could be completely wrong though!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Its little gems like these photos that make this thread just about worth keeping an eye on!

Question - did 08s fade more than other locos (and if so why?) or was it just that as shunters, they were given less frequent cosmetic attention? 

Edited by Hal Nail

With the circular mark, I wonder if it is caused by some sort of seal along the edge of the door coming loose and flapping in the wind? I'm sure there was a thread on similar circular marks on the roofs of diesels somewhere on here before. Although, I do wonder if an 08 would do sufficient mileage at a high enough speed for the cleaning effect to occur? That said, when you look on detail, the circle isn't "solid" further up, it's slightly more of an outline, which would match with something flapping, and being restrained by the upper door catches.

I could be completely wrong though!

Well it's as good a guess as any and I had nothing so it's better than me :)

what could have caused such a strange circular mark? (I'm pondering how to recreate the mark)

Can`t help with what caused the circular mark,but as to recreating it.

You could start by masking the area off with your favored method,and then as you start to fade the blue paint, (either by dry brushing or air brush) it will leave the original colour underneath un-altered.Then at a point of your choosing,you remove the mask and give the whole area a light pass to knock back the original colour a bit and hopefully blend it in with the surrounding area.

Of course this is only a basic guide to how i would go about it,so i would probably advise (not knowing your experience) that you practice on say, some painted plastic card or an old model.

Hope this is of some help,and of course post some pic`s when you get round to 'attacking' your 08. :good:

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

I have two on order, a Green, late crest, wasp stripes, un-numbered and a blue pre TOPS with wasp stripes.

So going back to the hinges, can we be definitive as to which 08's lasted into the 80's in BR Blue with Wasp stripes and the longer hinges please?

The following should help you decide:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/6622-class-08-09-variations/?p=55482

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102801-Dapol-08/?p=2432705

and a Google Search for a photograph of your chosen loco to confirm detail variations.

I have read some of the posts, but I've found them a little confusing (doesn't take much with me sometimes!!!), and all the frothing doesn't help either!!!!

I'll be renumbering the pre-TOPS blue one as a TOPS loco, as I couldn't get a pre-order on a TOPS blue one as they'd sold out of pre-orders with my supplier!!!

Thanks in advance

Jinty ;)

Hopefully this is correct?.

This is collated from my 1990 'Diesel & Electric Disposal 'book,so it should be right!.

Long hinged (door) locos that survived into tops numbering, were loco`s; 08001 - 08266/08369 - 08387 (in order) all English Electric.

Prior to the tops re-numbering a total of 53 were either withdrawn and sold on,or scrapped.

These are a mix of English Electric ,EE/Crossley.

D3000--03/11-14/19-20/24/26/28/34-35/37-38/45/47/51-53/69/78/87-89/92

D3101/D3117-D3126/72/83/93/

D3255/61

Brian.

Edited by Tove