Dapol 08

Kickstart

• RMweb Premium

08105 was very much in BR Blue at the time of withdrawal.

Quite right, apologies! I even did an image search recently (one of my regular searches, just in case a decent colour pic of it in black/TOPS pops up) and it went blue in the mid-70s and lasted thus until finally withdrawn in 1983.

Hi All!

Re. previous Poster's comments, re clarification, some examples of changes......

Tower Catalogue circa 2014;-

7D-008-002 = Class 08 BR Blue with Wasp Stripes No. 08529

7D=008-003 = Class 08 Green with Wasp Stripes Late Crest D3084

Currently (2016);-

7D-008-002 = Class 08 BR Blue with Wasp Stripes (Cab Arrows) D3045

7D-008-003 = Class 08 BR Green with Wasp Stripes (now with Black Roof and Engine Bonnet) D3219

I hope that clarifies further, please check your pre-orders, with whomever you have such, just to be sure.

Un-numbered versions sold out (on pre-order) very, very quickly - even though they are still being advertised by some retailers - as they were subsequently made into, in effect, a limited edition/limited quantities by Dapol ('initial plan was to sell unnumbered locos on a more, en masse basis' [in précis and not verbatim] according to various retailers).

In terms of common-or-garden types, it appears that these will only be sold at the higher prices as limited editions, so the retail prices of £170.00 apply to the slightly off beat versions (in some cases) and of course after the £170.00 versions have sold out prices will probably climb further - although still provide VFM?

Mind you at £170 a respray isnt out of the question for some?

Major box shifters stating that further batches of the 08 will not have the small hinged/pressed steel doors.

The above info has come via various retail sources and several retail customers/friends et al, just as many of us here are.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 3 weeks later...

Class 08 slipped again now November and into December according Tower Models update. Think I may have to take of my Xmas wish list ..... AGAIN!!!!!!!

Still can't complain... i'm sure it will be worth the wait and looking forward to seeing all the other goodies Dapol have announced recently (just hope I will be able to own one some day in the near future).

• RMweb Premium

There are some very patient people out there...its been a long wait...so far. Mind you, if you're waiting for Peco short radius points to build the shunting plank, you'll wait a while longer!

Dava

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tower models update states first batches of the 08 have been completed and due for shipping next week, with arrival in uk 2 weeks later.

Paul

Tower models update states first batches of the 08 have been completed and due for shipping next week, with arrival in uk 2 weeks later.

Paul

Hopefully even sooner..... Tower said they should recive them in approximate 2 weeks time.

This full quote from Tower.... "Latest news today on the Class 08's is that the first three versions (Pre Tops blue, Post Tops blue and BR Black) have now been completed in China and should be shipped later next week. Hopefully this will mean we should recive them in approximate 2 weeks time subject to clearing customs etc".

Guest 40-something

Paul

Must being sent by airfreight, great news, really looking forward to receiving mine!

Yes they are being air-freighted to the UK.

Wonder if they had to de-mesh the gears to travel at that speed?

Whoops, wrong thread :mosking:

Yes they are being air-freighted to the UK.

Individually by broomstick no doubt?

Right, that's enough carp from me.

Hat, coat etc

When it says they have now been completed - I wonder if that means they have now corrected the black paint the last version had on the yellow radiator fronts - fingers crossed.

Well I hope you don't get a barrage of abuse from those (not me as I'm on your side) that think it's OK if it turns out wrong, as they will be quiet happy to correct themselves using a paint brush as "it's only a toy" was one of the comments I received when I commented on similar paint errors. For me also.... I do hope it comes corrected and wish those waiting eagerly to get their old paintbrushes out will find some satisfaction and don't end up spoiling their toy.

• Like 1

Guest 40-something

Well I hope you don't get a barrage of abuse from those (not me as I'm on your side) that think it's OK if it turns out wrong, as they will be quiet happy to correct themselves using a paint brush as "it's only a toy" was one of the comments I received when I commented on similar paint errors. For me also.... I do hope it comes corrected and wish those waiting eagerly to get their old paintbrushes out will find some satisfaction and don't end up spoiling their toy.

Its called modelling, dont stir this up again

If you don’t stir your paint, you’ll make an awful mess. :jester:

I usually talk about my “toy trains” in a deprecating way. It isn’t a bad idea to say it before someone else does. Many years ago my mother (bless her) said to her sister, “Don’t call them toys; he’ll be terribly offended.” My aunt, of course, being my aunt, took this as a suggestion to call them just that. She must have been very frustrated that I didn’t rise to the bait!

They are not, of course, toys. They give pleasure as toys do but if they were only toys they would hardly give us satisfaction as well. With a few dishonourable exceptions, we are currently getting almost a flood of quite accurate models with just a few compromises to allow them to work in confined spaces.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

For me it's called collecting and I won't be stiring anything.

Nothing wrong with collecting. I think of myself as a 'modeller', but (like many others), I also collect some models, in that I buy stuff that I have no intention of running on my layouts in a 'serious' kind of way, and just buy them because I like them (especially red engines or locos in other, pretty liveries).

• Like 5

They are now in the UK according to tower models

Paul

Good, that means reviews on the models will start shortly, and I will be forewarned about any good or bad points before my green one arrives...

Martyn.

Dapol had the 08s on free sale today ( and tomorrow ) at the alsager railway exhibition in crewe. They had both blue versions ( black cab roofs ), the black version on sale for £199.00

They also had the collectors club version, which I heard them tell someone that if they join the club for £25 they get the collectors club 08 for £145, so £170 total.

• Like 1

Dapol had the 08s on free sale today ( and tomorrow ) at the alsager railway exhibition in crewe. They had both blue versions ( black cab roofs ), the black version on sale for £199.00

They also had the collectors club version, which I heard them tell someone that if they join the club for £25 they get the collectors club 08 for £145, so £170 total.

Get them while you can as Dapol have been over subscribed from the retailers for the Blue & Green versions, meaning some orders will not be fulfilled.

The DCC Supplies website says the limited edition green loco is in stock with delivery in mid November so presumably they were part of the first batch to arrive. I image the sound fitted ones will take longer; when someone has one I'd be very interested to see a picture, the DCC Supplies site just has the drawing that's been there all along.

Peter