Dapol 08

Kickstart

Am I a numpty for not knowing what ActiveDrive is, let alone ProtoDrive?  This could cost me money.

John

John,

Actually, it could save you some money*. Depends what you usually buy.

* in the same way my wife saves money whenever she shops in the Sales, that is.

ActiveDrive and ProtoDrive are the proprietry names used by Digitrains and by me respectively for advanced sound projects for ZIMO sound decoders for a large range of UK  locomotive types. The names are intended to convey the standard features included.

For example, controls like 'fade sounds to mute' or Live Volume Control for changing sound levels in real time, variable inertia depending upon the way the throttle is operated, heavy train/light engine modes where the inertia/momentum and sound scheme are changed wth a key stroke to suit the mode selected.

ZIMO Brake Key features in Active and ProtoDrive projects as standard. Progressive and adjustable braking to control high momentum trainloads.

Sound control features enabling engines to rev without needing the model to move, or move at a particular speed, hard coded 'coasting key' to immediately force engine sounds to idle (or some other specified, user adjustable, power level) whatever the speed.

The idea is that they can be used in a very simple 'out of the box' mode by anyone, but with some manual interventions provided that will enable the correct sounds to be played whatever the circumstances the model is depicting. This latter is the reason for the 'ActiveDrive' epitaph since the operator can, optionally, 'actively drive' the model, whilst ProtoDrive aims to provide the most prototypical control, sounds and driving experience.

There are also a number of manufacturer specific ActiveDrive or ProtoDrive sound projects. The 0 Gauge Class 08 for example has all the parameters set to operate the Dapol 08 perfectly first time. Users will only need to change the address to meet their own requirements and the fun can begin. eg the LEDs are way too bright on the model, so they have beeen dimmed to a realistic level by default (this can still be adjusted by the user, up or down).

Much more than I can mention here (and its a bit off topic) but if you wish to know more, please PM me.

The other important info is that these sound projects are loaded free when you purchase a ZIMO decoder, so you only pay for the hardware, currently £92 (less VAT for sales outside the EU) and you get the sounds for love. LOL

Please note that I have no affiliation with Dapol and have nothing to do with this model (except as a very satisfied cusomer) or the sound project Dapol will be offering in their sound fitted versions.

Kind regards,

Paul

I received my un-numbered blue version yesterday, so here are some pics of the model, and a couple showing the chip and sound fitting area, I will stick it on some track tonight when I get home from work ..... but it is a stunner, hope you enjoy the pics, Craig.

post-8721-0-17660200-1478853406.jpgpost-8721-0-78047900-1478853433.jpgpost-8721-0-84930500-1478853451.jpgpost-8721-0-20774900-1478853470.jpgpost-8721-0-09243600-1478853484.jpgpost-8721-0-19491600-1478853497.jpgpost-8721-0-20632800-1478853521.jpgpost-8721-0-10744200-1478853533.jpg

• Like 10

Thanks Paul.  This Zimo stuff is new to me but from what I read is excellent.  My 08 will be sound fitted as will my Cl 15.  Hopefully I'll be hearing how excellent Zimo is before Christmas.

John

Zimo chips are top class and I would recommend that you speak to Diggitrains who will give you a first class

I have used them for about a year now and cannot commend them enough

Welll, now that both Hattons and Rails have raised their prices to RRP, are there any other sources still offering these at a discount?

A bit of a late starter in getting information on these, too little time to make a decision on embarking into yet another scale!

Ashley

Edited by AshleyH

Hi

Recieved my 08 yesterday and mostly pleased with it. I just wonder on some parts that have got through the design phase. Eg the lack of wipers as already mentioned but what the heck is that thing thats supposed to be a vac pipe, its nothing like apart from its curved. I dont mind replacing it but why?

That said i cant wait to get some wagons and a shunting plank

Welll, now that both Hattons and Rails have raised their prices to RRP, are there any other sources still offering these at a discount?

A bit of a late starter in getting information on these, too little time to make a decision on embarking into yet another scale!

Ashley

Hi Antics on line still have a few at the old price. Duncan

I received my un-numbered blue version yesterday, so here are some pics of the model, and a couple showing the chip and sound fitting area, I will stick it on some track tonight when I get home from work ..... but it is a stunner, hope you enjoy the pics, Craig.

Thank you for those interesting pictures. It looks as if Dapol planned to allow for a round speaker in the roof but decided against it and instead provided for a speaker behind the radiator. I’ve always thought that Bachmann and Hornby in 00 scale missed a trick in not moulding open radiator slats for a speaker. Still, both those models were tooled before provision for a speaker was expected.

Ashley

The Hobby Shop, Faversham ... http://hobb-e-mail.com/Dapol-833-c.asp

Guest 40-something

Hi

Recieved my 08 yesterday and mostly pleased with it. I just wonder on some parts that have got through the design phase. Eg the lack of wipers as already mentioned but what the heck is that thing thats supposed to be a vac pipe, its nothing like apart from its curved. I dont mind replacing it but why?

That said i cant wait to get some wagons and a shunting plank

Just a couple of minor niggles but can easily be corrected. I'm looking to getting to work on mine - blue roof, yellow controls, wipers and vac pipes, crew, chip and a bloomin good weathering.

• Like 1

Zimo chips are top class and I would recommend that you speak to Diggitrains who will give you a first class

I have used them for about a year now and cannot commend them enough

It looks like all the locos I have in mind will be shipped with Zimo sound from the factory.  God to have a source though.

John

just unpacked 08202

This is SOOOO worth the wait and the money.................................... :good:

The bit that struck me immediately - the tiny redundant ladder brackets at the top of the radiator bonnet - exquisite

Mine arrived yesterday and I'm really impressed with what I've got for my money. Well done Dapol  :good_mini:

Yes, got mine yesterday, just had chance to give it a quick run :yes: well worth it.

Slightly miffed at the missing wasp stripes on the un-numbered TOPS, but no biggy.

Here it rolls into my small O Scale layout, "Lyddlow Goods"

20161111_140427_zpstqlyezh4.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Brilliant model runs well and looks the part too, well done Dapol. Livery is very good, got mine buffered up to a blue falcon. The wife says it needs a driver now!

Your a lucky man....my wife was not as thoughtful in her comments to me (muttered something about what she would have done with the money I appear to have squandered).

Thanks for all the pictures guys..... especially as i won`t be able to get hold of my two blue 08`s till monday.........!! :cry:

Oh well,it`s does look like it`ll take a fair sized speaker in the front though.

Brian.