Revolution Ben

I have been mulling over the coupling problems. It appears that the root of the problem is that the three wires connected to the pcb are restricting movement. The factory fitted coupling moves side to side so much easier without the wires.

So having already removed some of the couplings for my previous modification I took one and removed the bottom plate and the inner electrical connections leaving the basic coupling which looks identical to the coupling at the front of the driving coach but without the nem pocket.

This coupling mechanism could be modified so a nem pocket could be glued on or I think an alternative solution would be to glue in a Hunt magnetic coupling which would achieve a similar arrangement to my fixed bar and pivot screws modification without any alteration to the models chassis. The question is would the resultant setup still lack the required flexibility and derail the coaches or could this be a coupling eureka moment.

I will try this solution with the motor and other driving coach at my next modelling session.

Colin

• Like 1

Further to my last post is the realisation that the factory couplings need to touch each other or the gap between the coaches will be too large. Therefore a nem or Magnetic coupling will not work.

One possible solution is a small piece of plasticard sized for an interference fit into each coupling to hold the couplings together. This could be glued to one and a push fit in the other.

Another is to only remove the wires from the coupling and leave the electrical connectors in place and join them with the tweezers as per the instructions. I think this is the option to try first.

Colin

Edited by hsthero
Change to final paragraph.
  • Like 1

I hope this is the final update on my efforts to overcome the problem of my 321 not being able to run around the Kato R1 curves on my layout.

I think I have finally solved the problem by removing the 3 wires from the the coach pcb's  and the wires and electrical connectors from the coupling. This allows the coupling to operate freely. The couplers push together much easier than with the  wiring/connectors. Pinching the side tabs slightly with my fingers makes a satisfying click when joining the couplers.

I tested the solution with the power car and one driving coach and they move easily through the R1 curves and onto the straights. Incidently the saloon lights operate from the each coach pickups so still work.

As I am happy to install a function only decoder in the driving cars this solution worked for me. It only involved lifting off the bodies and snipping the wires from the ends of the pcb, unclipping the bottom of the coupling, pulling the 3 wires out throught the chassis, removing the electrical connector from the coupler and clipping the bottom of the coupling back on. Bogies only need to be removed if  you have to reseat the coupling in the chassis.

Now to install a decoder in each driving coach.

Colin

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

as for the SPT one, I’m tempted to fit MicroTrains couplings between the coaches as no matter what I try, it keeps derailing on the transition from curves to straight. As others have alluded to, it’s the lack of movement on the connectors that is causing the issue. 

I had similar problems - the electrical couplings weren't moving freely. I removed the body shell and unscrewed the bogies (the same screws hold the interior to the chassis). This will allow you access the the close coupling mechanism. On at least three of the couplings on my unit there was restricted movement in at least one direction with the coupling not returning to the in-line position following exiting a curve. It was a simple enough job to reseat the coupling.

It's also worth checking that the bogies are free to rotate - releasing the screw by a 1/4 turn made a difference on my unit.

Steven B

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just wondering if in the long term, the way we connect MUs needs a total rethink. The beauty of fixed formation gangwayed rolling stock is there is a dirty great space that we try to keep as close as possible to look realistic, but don't actually fill except by bellows if so desired.

Why has no-one put the cables to allow single decoder installation through the gangway ends, and mechanically couple in a more normal way?

There must be a flexible ribbon style cable/pc connector (had dealings with one yesterday while changing the backlight in a touchscreen panel) that would give at least 4 or more ways between vehicles, and if coloured black, would hide that gap between vehicles. Thinking one end fixed to one vehicle, and if slightly corrugated, can be extended to be plugged into it's neighbour. Might be a bit fiddly, but how many of us actually pack their MUs away frequently?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On reverse curves it may be difficult to keep sufficient opening in line to allow for wires. Maybe not obvious at first sight, but if you put two coaches together then watch from above as you pass over a short radius crossover you may be surprised how far one end moves relative to the other.

• RMweb Premium

I rubbed all the bits of the coupling that rub (ie the cam bit, the coupler, the shaped bit) with a pencil and it’s smooth now - it’s a trick I learned with my Dapol MK3s and Farish MK1s, the pencil lessens the friction (I got for a high B pencil, but a high H pencil would probably be better)

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

On reverse curves it may be difficult to keep sufficient opening in line to allow for wires. Maybe not obvious at first sight, but if you put two coaches together then watch from above as you pass over a short radius crossover you may be surprised how far one end moves relative to the other.

If combined with Dapol-esque class 156 swivelling connections, it might work, but probably not for setrack geometry reverse curves. But then we are talking finer scale models rather than trainset stuff aren't we?

It is interesting that on page 4 of the user manual for the 320/321 manualit states that the inter-car couplers were to have electrical connections both to allow one decoder to control the whole train but also to ensure power pickup is spread throughout the train for optimum performance.

On page 6 it also states that the model has power couplers to ensure smooth running and allow the use of a single decoder.

As the model has three connections in the couplers, which provide dc feeds from the power car to the front and rear directional lights, is it also possible to provide track power with these 3 pins or would an additional 2 pins be required?

Colin

Edited by hsthero

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, hsthero said:

It is interesting that on page 4 of the user manual for the 320/321 manualit states that the inter-car couplers were to have electrical connections both to allow one decoder to control the whole train but also to ensure power pickup is spread throughout the train for optimum performance.

On page 6 it also states that the model has power couplers to ensure smooth running and allow the use of a single decoder.

As the model has three connections in the couplers, which provide dc feeds from the power car to the front and rear directional lights, is it also possible to provide track power with these 3 pins or would an additional 2 pins be required?

Colin

Hi

In theory you only need three wires for the connections, track (2) and function (1). The function wire in each direction would be connected to a different output on the decoder. The return for the directional lights being via one of the track feeds like on an NEM651 6 pin decoder.

What puzzles me though is why the saloon lights flicker if they are connected via the track power throughout the unit especially if they are all collecting power from the track and feeding the whole unit.

Cheers

Paul

2 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

What puzzles me though is why the saloon lights flicker if they are connected via the track power throughout the unit especially if they are all collecting power from the track and feeding the whole unit.

On my model the lights only flicker when it's moving, when its stationary they stay lit.

Regards,

John P

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

To add my unit came back from Mike and now runs well. The flickering on the trailers has almost stopped with running in.  I have added a micro dot of super glue to the coupler where the connection box clips in.

I have also had bodies apart and have put a dot of yellow paint from a paint pen on the LEDS to tone down the white back towards a florescent tube yellow.

Set has been running for around 50 minutes - on both inner and outer circuits of Templedean.   A slight adjustment to  one driver trailer to give a bit more slack on a wire on the coupler and all is fine.

Mike did suggest checking b2b and I have eased a couple sets by around 0.2 mm - the muff a tad short perhaps but certainly a happy bunny now .  Just waiting on the painful advice of invoice to pay for my 321 in NSE.

Robert    

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/05/2022 at 12:10, Robert Shrives said:

Hi 

To add my unit came back from Mike and now runs well. The flickering on the trailers has almost stopped with running in.  I have added a micro dot of super glue to the coupler where the connection box clips in.

I have also had bodies apart and have put a dot of yellow paint from a paint pen on the LEDS to tone down the white back towards a florescent tube yellow.

Set has been running for around 50 minutes - on both inner and outer circuits of Templedean.   A slight adjustment to  one driver trailer to give a bit more slack on a wire on the coupler and all is fine.

Mike did suggest checking b2b and I have eased a couple sets by around 0.2 mm - the muff a tad short perhaps but certainly a happy bunny now .  Just waiting on the painful advice of invoice to pay for my 321 in NSE.

Robert    

Glad I was able to help. Both the units I have here run very well in both three and four car variants. It’s always with checking the back to backs as most wheel sets on any model will never be perfect. 

Edited by Revolution Mike B
  • Like 1

Hi Guys, 

Is anyone else still waiting for delivery of a prepaid order (NSE)? I have a prepaid NSE model on one order and a deposit only on a silver link separate order (not received and invoice yet). 

I've seen on the revolution website that all prepaid orders should of been sent and am waiting patiently, but nothings arrived yet. I was considering contacting the guys at revolution directly, but I can only imagine they are overwhelmed with work at the moment trying to get the models sent and answering emails isn't going to speed things up for anybody. Is anyone out there in a similar situation and either still waiting? Or received models? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Dave 

Hi David;

Mike H posted about 3 weeks ago that the guys were working through the quagmire of pre-paid, part-paid and changed, cancelled  and otherwise complex orders, and asked that we be patient until they had announced that they were getting to the bottom of it all.

I'm still waiting on the invoices for two (part-paid) Strathclyde 320s and a change of order for a pre-paid Saltire version.

I'm guessing that it is taking a bit longer than expected to get through them all and correlate what the stock at hand is against the perceived order book.

Perhaps we'll get an update soon??

Regards;

Stu from EGVN

• Thanks 1

On 31/05/2022 at 13:15, DavidMcKenzie said:

Is anyone else still waiting for delivery of a prepaid order (NSE)? I have a prepaid NSE model on one order and a deposit only on a silver link separate order (not received and invoice yet). 

Yep, still waiting for mine. But I have had, and paid, the balance invoice.

• Thanks 1

Thought I would post an NSE 321 on the ‘run round’ tracks on my Marylebone layout. The 321 is a fine looking model and I have now got it running reliably although I would have preferred more straight forward couplers without the through electrical connections.E2C0A5D5-A715-4BB1-84FA-34A2E6833C17.thumb.jpeg.4d190c4052d3131437d401da5d945681.jpeg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been trying to keep the News item on 320/321 deliveries up to date (though I need to check whether I’ve updated it with the last batch that went out). 

We’ve got about 10-15% of orders to go - mostly relating to order changes, second choice liveries and international orders for more than 2 sets.  We’re getting there but progress has slowed as I’ve had to go abroad for best part of 2 weeks for work. Hopefully I’ll get some time to go through the remaining orders. 

Cheers Mike

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Mine landed very quickly after second payments sent and they do look good.  I have yet to fettle the bogies for free rotation but undoing will allow a good run I am sure. the NSE 321 is great and reopens the memory banks of "little Londons" in plats 1- 3 at Birmingham New St back in the 1990`s while I guarded slam door 117s on the cross city routes. 

My second 320 in Strathclyde will be a mate to the limited run Scottish Model railway show release.    

Thanks gents

Robert 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there 

just received mines in NZ 

is anyone else’s strathclyde 320 centre car got a wider black band 1mm lower and 1mm higher which is very noticeable compared to the driving cars which look correct 

• Agree 1