Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to Syd Young on Flickr, we are back in Hull, on the 6th December, 1984. The reworking of the track layout and signalling was underway, hence the engineering train in the foreground. Also to be seen is a Peak, 45144 Royal Signals, on train 1J01 the 13.22 Hull to Sheffield service. The Peak must have been on some kind of positioning move to get it back to Sheffield.

5498520303_71776e619f_b.jpg45144 - Hull, Park Street by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to Syd Young on Flickr, we are back in Hull, on the 6th December, 1984. The reworking of the track layout and signalling was underway, hence the engineering train in the foreground. Also to be seen is a Peak, 45144 Royal Signals, on train 1J01 the 13.22 Hull to Sheffield service. The Peak must have been on some kind of positioning move to get it back to Sheffield.

Best regards,

Rob.

Not a positioning move, the inward working came from Paddington, this is a through working to Brighton. The Peak will have worked up from Saltley via New Street. A Peak or Brush 4 could turn up on this, not unknown for a Brush 2 either.

Al Taylor

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, JeffP said:

What happened to longer distance cross-country trains like those?

Paddington-Hull, Hull-Brighton...

Surely there's still a market? 🙄

Like the through trains to the various northern destinations that used to extend west beyond Bournemouth to Poole & Weymouth you are expected to change trains into the cross-country spine. For us that is Bournemouth. I guess for Hull people that change is Doncaster or via TfL in London for Brighton. 

Edited by john new
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, JeffP said:

What happened to longer distance cross-country trains like those?

Paddington-Hull, Hull-Brighton...

Surely there's still a market? 🙄

When I worked for VXC there were various plans mentioned to extend the XC network to other places Hull and Middlesborough always got mentioned.So there was obviously a market for through travel then, just as there is today.

However these plans got torpedoed by the backward thinking of the SRA, which shafted XC giving us Operation (Ugly sister as it was often called) Princess and the remnants of what remains today. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Market65 said:

Best regards,

Rob.

Regularly used to catch this train to get me back to college in Worcester. Went to Sheffield as a 4 coach set then got shunted to join a second set (from Newcastle?) and then on to Birmingham where I would change to a local for the onward journey to Worcester. Can't recall having anything other than a Peak on the Hull to Birmingham leg but would only ride 3 or 4 times a year so no doubt other motive power appeared on occasion. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Many thanks, Al, for the information about that Peak being what was actually a service to Brighton, having worked in from Paddington. It all seems a long time ago that we actually had such services to and from Hull. I hope we will not end up being permanently forgotten by those who make the all important decisions. 
Well, today I was in Driffield, and took a few photo’s. Here are three, the first two of which show the railway from Wansford Road crossing, looking each way, and then one of class 170, 170473, departing the station on a service to Scarborough.

9DD735EB-5054-40DC-8192-648060CFC12A.jpeg.e59fae849b7f25bab829f5bb73f3a6e7.jpeg

83BC6A02-FA0F-4FBD-813F-243767AF643E.jpeg.33abd1aa103dca9ba00d058efce9b3a3.jpeg

2C05EF0F-DB78-44AF-A939-17D081135CD9.jpeg.3bbd5f0bbb4f6602650b3cd9776c65b3.jpeg

And now for a photo’ by Andy Hughes, on Flickr, of 47843, `Vulcan', on train 4D95, the 15:00 Hull Coal Terminal to  Doncaster Down Decoy, passing Brough East signalbox, on the 11th May, 2015.

17528944575_e8dab722b0_k.jpg47843 by Andy Hughes, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thanks to Brian Grey, on Flickr, we go to Hull,  and see 47560 about to depart on the 16.15 to London King’s Cross, on the 26th March, 1989.

1989-03-26_02 47560 1615 Hull - Kings Cross Hull

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thanks to David Scott on Flickr, we go to Hessle, on the 13th February, 1980. We see a class 124 TransPennine DMU on the 11.27 Hull to Manchester Piccadilly service. 

13916840218_6074eca260_c.jpgTrans pennine DMU on the 1127 Hull-Manchester Picc Hustles through Hessle on 13th Feb 1980 by David Scott, on Flickr

Now, today there was trouble on the line between Bridlington and Scarborough, owing to a track circuit failure, with trains having to terminate at Bridlington instead of running through to Scarborough. I got caught up in this, but took some photo’s of which, this of two class 170’s in Bridlington station was one. 
170457 formed the 16.39 to Hull, terminating there instead of running through to Sheffield owing to a shortage of train crew.

6C7E5A30-61A3-4633-8542-50C442578FEF.jpeg.0c4f76024aec98459e3fa8e8d6b0f1e7.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

20 hours ago, Market65 said:

Now, today there was trouble on the line between Bridlington and Scarborough, owing to a track circuit failure, with trains having to terminate at Bridlington instead of running through to Scarborough. I got caught up in this, but took some photo’s of which, this of two class 170’s in Bridlington station was one. 
170457 formed the 16.39 to Hull, terminating there instead of running through to Sheffield owing to a shortage of train crew.

I took over Seamer at 1850 and trust me when I say it got worse before it got better!  We ended up with the Hunmany-Filey double track section seeing 3 trains in each direction within an hour, it was like Filey Holiday camp was still there!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, everyone, and thank you, Boris, for that information about the way it was north of Bridlington yesterday evening. I saw on RTT that chaos was going on in the evening. Today seems normal before tomorrow’s strike action. 

This afternoon we go to Ferriby, thanks to Syd Young on Flickr, and see 31125 powering through on train 6D85, the 12.25 Saltend to Doncaster Belmont Speedlink trip working. The date is the 2nd March, 1990.

8288068841_69b9c3041e_b.jpg31125 - Ferriby by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of the withernsea1.co.uk site, and a photo’ by Trevor Baldwin, we go to Withernsea in the early 1950’s to see G5 0-4-4T, 67256, waiting to depart on a service back to Hull Paragon.

image.jpeg.a0d6d1c0480bd34f9a5c6f96a8f578e8.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and many thanks, Mick, for posting the signalling diagram of Withernsea station. We are making a return journey to Withernsea this evening, with thanks again to the website withernsea1.co.uk. This photo’ has no known individual credit, and shows a class J21, possibly 771, on the turntable, in c1930.

image.jpeg.0a043f59b605dfcbd9e447a1cf543fee.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

15 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone, and many thanks, Mick, for posting the signalling diagram of Withernsea station. We are making a return journey to Withernsea this evening, with thanks again to the website withernsea1.co.uk. This photo’ has no known individual credit, and shows a class J21, possibly 771, on the turntable, in c1930.

image.jpeg.0a043f59b605dfcbd9e447a1cf543fee.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

Thats probably where the Aldi tills are now.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, everyone. Well, Ray M, that’s probably the case, I know I’ve been in Aldi there, and thought that myself. Well, this afternoon, with thanks again to the site withernsea1.co.uk, we stay, on the line to Withernsea, with a two picture montage, by Janet Lundy, of a derailment involving a Flying Pig, number 43122 of Dairycoates. The date is around the mid 1950’s, but, apparently, records of the derailment have been lost in the mists of time.

image.jpeg.5885ed856ffa4a2187c8ee7806cf85c3.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks again to the withernsea1.co.uk website, and a photo’ by Neville Stead, we see, in Withernsea station, sometime in 1956 an L1 2-6-4T departing on a short train of three non corridor carriages for Hull. 

image.jpeg.1bdbc27aedfaee15f8cf6ea8b65c95a3.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Ray M said:

Was Withernsea the only Yorkshire town  

to have a railway station in the eastern hemisphere ?

Nicely spotted. Certainly looks that way, using the map at https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php which allows you to click stations for their lat/long coordinates. Even the previous station on that line, Patrington, is W of the meridian.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Nicely spotted. Certainly looks that way, using the map at https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php which allows you to click stations for their lat/long coordinates. Even the previous station on that line, Patrington, is W of the meridian.

I can confirm, having gone to school in Patrington (and Withernsea) the meridian line was to the east of the village (straight down the middle of the village playing field) The station was to the west of the village. I can remember the school lesson we had on that playing field about the meridian line like it was yesterday. Weird what specific lessons you remember from primary school 40 years ago but cannot remember what we had for dinner last night!!! The self contained line at Spurn was a military railway used to supply the fortifications along the point with no stations (School trip remembered like it was yesterday) 

Regards. 
Bill 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, regarding the Meridian line, I recall cycling to Withernsea to see a cycle race in the late 1990’s, and recall the Meridian line marked on the side of the road from Halsham. 
Now, this evening, we stay in Withernsea, thanks again to the withernsea1.co.uk site, and a photo’ from the Christopher Ketchell Collection, the original photo’ by Wellsted & Son. It is a fairly well known view, and shows a locomotive on the turntable in 1905. Note the third carriage, it appears to be GNR, there is the characteristic beading visible.

image.jpeg.7085671c9f0d8e24b8985de94c454c78.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

Russ, a good question, and one I have long myself wondered. After the removal of the Turntable, the Spring Points laid normal for the platform road. When renewed by BRly's the signal in question was a std tubular UQ with miniature arm, though of course it could have been altered years previous, without photo's we will never know. I don't have the locking chart or table.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1