Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Simon, that is a most excellent photo' of Seven Section. I posted some photo's of it earlier in this thread - I forget the page number.

Now, on Thursday, the first Scarborough Spa Express train ran to Scarborough. I took some photo's and a video of it. It was hauled by ex - LMS Jubilee 45699, Galatea. 11 Mk1's and Mk2's made up the formation.

Here's a photo'

post-22631-0-72667900-1496522710_thumb.jpg

And here is the video of the departure from Scarborough station:

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

Judge / Simon

Thanks for this information. With your help I now realise that I did know the location (mostly used for ECS storage from my recollection) - I just did not know it was known as 'Seven Section'.

I remember seeing the sidings full with stock from the top deck of the EYMS buses as they crossed the Hessle Road level crossing there before the overbridge was built.

Happy Days - but with unhappy consequences for all of Draper's clients!

Thanks again.

Except for Black Five 45305

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that fascinating photo', Mick. More please. Tonight, I have a photo' and a video of a very humble train. A pacer! It is for the historical records, for these units will soon be gone, and just a part of history. This one is 142 094, departing Beverley station, June, 9th, 2017, ECS.

post-22631-0-12658300-1497039403_thumb.jpg

Now the video:

Best regards,

Rob.
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thank you, Mick, for that glorious photo of ex H&BR 2418. Always, it is a most welcome addition to this thread.

Now, a couple of videos from earlier today.

The first one shows a typical present day DMU departure from Beverley Station to Scarborough at 16.28:

The second video shows a special train, powered by two 57's, 57313 and 57316. It was passing through Beverley at 16.53 on it's way to Cambridge.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 3

I'm researching York Locomotive signalbox for a 7mm scale model. I'm stumped for a drawing of the front elevation or a few leading dimensions, also pictures of the back wall. Anyone have anything please in personal collections? Many Thanks, Mick.

post-702-0-51829000-1499104576_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I'm researching York Locomotive signalbox for a 7mm scale model. I'm stumped for a drawing of the front elevation or a few leading dimensions, also pictures of the back wall. Anyone have anything please in personal collections? Many Thanks, Mick.

attachicon.gifYORK LOCOMOTIVE Signal Box 1909.jpg

Mick,

I've got some drawings, copyright NERA, as follows:

1) A drawing reproduced from the NERA magazine "The North Eastern Express" is labelled as a NER Standard Signal Box 1906. There are 4 pages, showing front and both end elevations, plus detail of the steps and porch. The York box is specifically mentioned as the longest to this pattern. The original drawings were reduced from 1/4" to 1 foot scale to fit and have lost a bit of clarity in the process - it might be worth contacting NERA to see if the original is still available. Let me know if you need contacts.

2) The North Eastern Record, Volume 1 has a drawing of the S4 type cabin which looks very similar with straight lintels top and bottom of the windows in the lower storey. This is much more legible than the other.

Whilst neither of these is specifically of the York box, the implication is that you could extrapolate the dimensions from them. Oddly, though, both drawings show 12 panes in 3 vertical rows in the lower windows, whereas in your picture the panes seem to be in 2 vertical rows (edited to say that this may not be correct there may be more than 2 rows).

Regards,

Roy

Edited by R Marshall

Mick,

I've got some drawings, copyright NERA, as follows:

1) A drawing reproduced from the NERA magazine "The North Eastern Express" is labelled as a NER Standard Signal Box 1906. There are 4 pages, showing front and both end elevations, plus detail of the steps and porch. The York box is specifically mentioned as the longest to this pattern. The original drawings were reduced from 1/4" to 1 foot scale to fit and have lost a bit of clarity in the process - it might be worth contacting NERA to see if the original is still available. Let me know if you need contacts.

2) The North Eastern Record, Volume 1 has a drawing of the S4 type cabin which looks very similar with straight lintels top and bottom of the windows in the lower storey. This is much more legible than the other.

Whilst neither of these is specifically of the York box, the implication is that you could extrapolate the dimensions from them. Oddly, though, both drawings show 12 panes in 3 vertical rows in the lower windows, whereas in your picture the panes seem to be in 2 vertical rows (edited to say that this may not be correct there may be more than 2 rows).

Regards,

Roy

Roy, many thanks for your help, I have all the drawings you describe. Since posting my message, another possible sourch has come to light, I will wait and see.

Class X3 2-2-4T at York, again "Just over the State Line", but I think worth a view.

attachicon.gifYORK X3 190.jpg

"Engineer's Glass carriage" per chance? I seem to remember the information board on this loco in the N.R.M. said that was it's duties in it's final years of service.

Regards, John.

This was one of four 2-2-4Ts "chiefly used for hauling inspection saloons" says RCTS Part 9B.

These were, Class X1 No. 66 Aerolite (preserved at the NRM), Class X2 No. 957, and Class X3 Nos. 190 and 1679. I think the X3s were the best looking and I wish one had been saved.

Thanks Mick.

Class X3 2-2-4T at York, again "Just over the State Line", but I think worth a view.

attachicon.gifYORK X3 190.jpg

Mick,

Trying to square the York location with the sheds at York, given the GNR loco (and LMS?) and GNR (I think) wagons in the background. The GNR had a straight shed at York South and the LMS had a roundhouse, both in the triangle with the NER roundhouse. So is this at York North?

Regards,

Roy

Mick,

Trying to square the York location with the sheds at York, given the GNR loco (and LMS?) and GNR (I think) wagons in the background. The GNR had a straight shed at York South and the LMS had a roundhouse, both in the triangle with the NER roundhouse. So is this at York North?

Regards,

Roy

This is to the south of the station, the complex of buildings around the former locomotive works, the site of the original York Railway Museum-The city walls can be seen in the background.

This is to the south of the station, the complex of buildings around the former locomotive works, the site of the original York Railway Museum-The city walls can be seen in the background.

That's great - as you say the City walls are there - many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Mick, for the truly excellent photos of York. York is more than OK to post in this thread, for I've always thought of it as on the western boundary of the railways of East Yorkshire. So please post more as and when you can.

With warmest regards,

Rob.