Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

Wilmington Outer Junction, Hornsea Branch Hull. The signalbox closed about the turn of the previous centuary, and the Hornsea Branch closed to passenger traffic in October 1964. The high level H&BRly, is of course still with us today.

attachicon.gifBURLIEGH STREET VIADUCT - Resized.jpg

Photograph taken on the site of the first terminus of this branch line Mick?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. The East Riding of Yorkshire Council have posted a collection of old railway photo's on a Flickr account. They are free of copyright restrictions, under the 'No known copyright restrictions'. So I hope I may post a few here, acknowledging that are from The East Riding Archives.

They show two views of Market Weighton Station and one of Londesborough Station, and are all, as far as I can see, from 1947. http://28634461532_6ca6531ee1_b.jpgMarket Weighton Railway Station 1940 (archive ref DDX1525-1-14) by East Riding Archives, on Flickr

http://28634461512_7dd8afea5a_b.jpgPlatform at Market Weighton Railway Station 1940 (archive ref DDX1525-1-14) by East Riding Archives, on Flickr

Londesborough Station, looking to Market Weighton:

http://28662485121_3986c83616_b.jpgLondesborough Railway Station 1935 (archive ref DDX1230-2) by East Riding Archives, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

A feature that may escape most people is the "main line" wing rails on the crossing vees are spring loaded closed to give a smooth passage. This feature can be seen on this photo, just. I only know because in my days with the S & T dept, we had to jemmey them open to drill for track circuit bonding.

post-276-0-37413500-1489265061_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Actually, Judge Dread, the photo is part of the East Riding Councils archive collection, but with no known copyright on it. The photographer is unknown. Fascinating to see those switchable crossing vees. It's the first time I've heard of them.

Best regards,

Rob.

P.S. I love that photo of Beverley, it takes me right back. Thank you for posting it, Mick.

Hi. Actually, Judge Dread, the photo is part of the East Riding Councils archive collection, but with no known copyright on it. The photographer is unknown. Fascinating to see those switchable crossing vees. It's the first time I've heard of them.

Best regards,

Rob.

P.S. I love that photo of Beverley, it takes me right back. Thank you for posting it, Mick.

Thanks for the photos. The wing rail on the main running line was sprung closed to provide a smooth and quiet running. When the point(s) were switched, each flange on that side would push the rail open, which then would snap shut after their passage. I believe it to be only to be found on the North Eastern railway, having not seen it anywhere else but I'm sure Mick will give a ruling on that.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the photos. The wing rail on the main running line was sprung closed to provide a smooth and quiet running. When the point(s) were switched, each flange on that side would push the rail open, which then would snap shut after their passage. I believe it to be only to be found on the North Eastern railway, having not seen it anywhere else but I'm sure Mick will give a ruling on that.

Also used on the Southern - an example at Bodmin has come to attention elsewhere on the forum.