Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Hello, and a belated Happy New Year to you all. I would like to thank Mick, once more, for the outstanding photo's and also for that remarkable video which I found so delightful. A real gem.

Tonight, I have another bridge photo'.  It is of the bridge which carries the Goole to Gilberdyke line over Moorfields Lane, which is the road from Saltmarshe to Skelton, near to the Goole swing bridge. I'm just wondering when it was last painted. The photo' is dated, 21st, September, 2008.

post-22631-0-68609000-1515797312_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited to add an H.

Edited by Market65
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That is a superb photo of B16 61456, Mick. Many thanks.

Boris, I can see lining on the Gresley BSK, which with four compartments, will be 61’ 6”. The lining meaning it is finished in maroon. I hope that is of some help.

Best regards,

Rob.

I meant to check, but never got round to it, whatever, it will all be well documented.

Mick,

Another superb picture.

52B Heaton certainly is a puzzle - I only have allocations for 1950, 1955, 1959 and later. 61456 was certainly at York in 1950 and 1955, Selby in 1959. Heaton didn't have any B16s in any of those years.

Regards,

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Hello, Mark.

It should be a big success after the previous ones. They have been well presented, and, of course, with Mick we have the perfect host who knows what he is talking about. It always a delight to attend these shows, and it’s a shame when someone cannot be present. I will try to give a quick summary of it after it has finished, in this thread, that’s if Mick will not object.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Selby looked a lot better, with the centre roads in place.

and of course ,loads of freight blasting through.

Apologies for coming to this thread somewhat late, but re the centre roads and freight at Selby - do you mean like this? (Date and photographer unknown).

Regards, Ian.

post-32776-0-87330600-1516528971_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Been away for a few days so I've enjoyed catching up with the latest additions to the topic. 

It a real shame I missed the freight services to Beverley - too busy chasing locos on the main lines. Also the disused rail locations brought back memories of cycle rides around the city and further afield.

Going back to page 11 - here are a few shots of Selby taken c 1979-81. Living in Hull with a girlfriend at York I spent countless hours waiting to change trains here... always hoping for a Deltic... and the disapointment when a Finsbury Park 47/4 rolled in.

Alan

attachicon.gifSelby 06.JPG

attachicon.gifSelby 02.JPG

attachicon.gifSelby 01.JPG

attachicon.gifSelby 03.JPG

attachicon.gifSelby 07.JPG

attachicon.gifSelby 09.jpg

Hi 60091,

Thanks for the photos of Selby, brings back many happy memories. I started my railway career at Selby in November 1973 with the S&T. Being a young lad and somewhat more "bendable" than the incumbent tech's, I had the delight a few times of cleaning the banner repeaters on the footbridge - accessed from a little low-down door from inside the footbridge - as I say, happy memories.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

Local history has it that the Luftwaffe bombed Hull on their outward trips to start marker fires to aid their return and then if they had any bombs left over they would drop those as well. A little known fact is that Hull was also the target of V1 flying bombs, air launched from aircraft from Norway.

There still is a site which has not been touched since it was bombed in 1941 save having an advertising hoarding built in front of it, this link explains  www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/Hull/NationalPictureTheatreHull.htm

One of my ex bosses, who hailed from Hull (S&T), had a map of Hull showing where all the unexploded ordnance from the war was plotted. He liked the map so much he scanned it and had it as a screen-saver on his office PC!

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

Apologies for coming to this thread somewhat late, but re the centre roads and freight at Selby - do you mean like this? (Date and photographer unknown).

Regards, Ian.

attachicon.gifSelby 63595.JPG

Thats the type of thing.

But it was usually Deltics  & the like ,when we used to go in the early 70`s.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure whether we've had this on here before.

I was out on a road trip with a friend yesterday exploring remains of closed stations on the Withernsea line, and in Hull, and took these pictures of the Wilmington Swing Bridge.  It's in an interesting area of Hull and originally carried trains on the Withernsea line and other routes, but today survives as a foot and cycle path bridge.

Also the view from the bridge looking upstream at low tide, with an interesting industrial building prominently on the river bank.

post-31-0-93895600-1516532600.jpg

post-31-0-17619400-1516532629.jpg

post-31-0-47912000-1516532645.jpg

• Like 14

Hello, Mark.

It should be a big success after the previous ones. They have been well presented, and, of course, with Mick we have the perfect host who knows what he is talking about. It always a delight to attend these shows, and it’s a shame when someone cannot be present. I will try to give a quick summary of it after it has finished, in this thread, that’s if Mick will not object.

Best regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob

That would be much appreciated :)

Brgds

Mark