Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Mmmm, there might be a problem there! Something has become "stuck".

Nought to do with me, I had resigned my commission in 1964.

I (and no doubt Mick) wondered how long it would be before someone noticed it.  But (no doubt like you) some of us know exactly why it was like that so are just sitting back and waiting for someone to say rather more about how 'wrong' it is.  :jester: 

And quite clever to have captured it on film.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I remember that signal vividly! It could be a bit sticky for when both the home and distant arms were pulled off and then back on. It certainly was not far from Beverley station box, so should not really have been such a problem. Of course today, there is no signal, and therefore, no fun and games to be had.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. That's an excellent photo', Mick, please post some more when you can.

Tonight I have a photo' taken from the train as it leaves Bridlington, on a journey to Hull. It was in the evening yesterday at 18.42. It shows how overgrown the former carriage sidings have become. The signal appears as if it is growing out of the bushes!

post-22631-0-58486700-1493412777_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

Hi, everyone. That's an excellent photo', Mick, please post some more when you can.

Tonight I have a photo' taken from the train as it leaves Bridlington, on a journey to Hull. It was in the evening yesterday at 18.42. It shows how overgrown the former carriage sidings have become. The signal appears as if it is growing out of the bushes!

attachicon.gif184225556 - Copy.jpg

Best regards,

Rob.

The carriage sidings are now disconnected as are platforms 7 and 8. A very sad state of affairs considering the size of Brid up until around 1980. This was pretty much the last bit of track to survive beyond loco haulage times.

Sean.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Paul, for posting that excellent photo' of Alycidon. I could not get to see it and take photo's myself, so the photo' is doubly appreciated. So reminiscent of the days when Deltics worked out of Hull in the late '70's until their withdrawal from service at the end of 1981.

Best regards,

Rob.

Hello again.

I thought that some of you may enjoy another photo of Alycidon working The Hull & Leeds Executive through Gilberdyke. I have to confess that I think this shot is possibly my best effort with a Deltic as a subject, anyhow enough waffle enjoy.

Simon

post-30500-0-18688800-1494612748_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Simon, for posting the excellent photo' of Alicydon. It really does make a fine sight at Gilberdyke, along with the properly liveried carriages.

Now, I've a further three photo's taken from a class 158 yesterday of Bridlington station. It is good to see the BR upper quadrant signals. One of few locations left, along with Gilberdyke, of them.

post-22631-0-36414100-1494618179_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-97319600-1494618200_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-51913700-1494618223_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-89534600-1494618501_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning - apologies if this is slightly 'off topic', but I hope that someone here can answer a question for me.

Having grown up in Hessle, I thought I was fairly familiar with the railways to the west of Hull in my junior years but I've just become aware of a railway location that I'd not heard of before.

I've just read through Ian Scotney and Brian Egan's "Draper's Scrapyard Hull" book and there are frequent references to "Seven Section" as what seemed to be a 'reception area' for locos being delivered for scrapping at Draper's.

What and Where is/was "Seven Section", please?

Good Morning - apologies if this is slightly 'off topic', but I hope that someone here can answer a question for me.

Having grown up in Hessle, I thought I was fairly familiar with the railways to the west of Hull in my junior years but I've just become aware of a railway location that I'd not heard of before.

I've just read through Ian Scotney and Brian Egan's "Draper's Scrapyard Hull" book and there are frequent references to "Seven Section" as what seemed to be a 'reception area' for locos being delivered for scrapping at Draper's.

What and Where is/was "Seven Section", please?

Coming into Hull crossing and dropping down from the "Tin Can" bridge as the line curves to the north away from Clive Sullivan Way, Seven section was on the right, running parallel. Further to the right were the ash pits and coaling station and then the Dairycoates sheds themselves. The sheds still exist of coarse, now used as a transport depot. Draper's did indeed have their locos delivered to Seven section before final movements into their yard. I can remember seeing a Jubilee in there 45565 Victoria. It still had it's nameplates attached.

If you can look into "Britainfromabove" entry numbered EAW015651 you will see what you want.

Edited by Judge Dread

• RMweb Premium

Here is a view of 7 Section taken from the lines over 5A bridge, in the right background the building that looks a bit like a house was part of Dairycoates offices.

post-79-0-48591900-1496314456_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Judge / Simon

Thanks for this information. With your help I now realise that I did know the location (mostly used for ECS storage from my recollection) - I just did not know it was known as 'Seven Section'.

I remember seeing the sidings full with stock from the top deck of the EYMS buses as they crossed the Hessle Road level crossing there before the overbridge was built.

Happy Days - but with unhappy consequences for all of Draper's clients!

Thanks again.