45 ton Ransomes Crane

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Well I assume it's costing them a fortune to make, and fair enough if that's what they have to charge to cover their costs, but I'm not quite sure it's worth a weeks wages, as I say, I'll be interested to see how many they sell.

I guess I feel a little bitter about trying to support the hobby but simply being priced out this time of an item I quite fancied.

I understand the sentiment - but as a hobby we only have ourselves to blame. If we were happy with crude melded on details and inaccuracies then I'm sure Bachmann would be quite happy to churn out 'near enough' models (like the Hornby 75ton crane that is more of a toy than a model) at much lower prices.

You carn't have it both ways:- it's either 'cheap and cheerful' or 'expensive but detailed'

As to whether the crane will sell - Bachmann wouldn't be making it if they didn't think it would turn a profit. Look at the Blue Pullman, when it was first producded there were many howls of outrage over the price yet Bachmann had no trouble shifting the all blue versions - and I don't think sales of the 2nd release (the boxed set with the booklet, etc) were disappointing either.

The price isn't that surprising anymore .

They want £50 for a Parrot wagon on the latest list, inc a very simple lump moulding of a Tank representation , if this sellable at that price then anything is possible , Locos at £175 and rising, £800 plus for a Pullman beyond belief  !!.

If they think they can sell them then good luck to them . Yet more carrot dangling by Bachmann et al ?, limited runs as normal nowadays , with a big emphasis on get them will you can.

I will luckily stick to my D&S Crane, thanks.

• Like 1

Just thought you'd like to know the rrp for the ransomes crane. We've just got the 2018 price list and it says rrp is £249.95. Beautiful model though saw it in the flesh at Warley.

Objectively, I think they have priced it too high - but good luck to them.

Subjectively, it has confirmed that I will not be buying either a BR black or red one as they aren't Southern Region marked.  I'm not spending £200-odd on something I need to get altered, I will wait for a later release (IF the first batches sell).  When they do release a Southern Region version I will have a difficult decision to make, as to whether to buy it or not.

it certainly is an eye-watering price. I have got a pre-order in, but I'll have to seriously rethink that. Not because I can't afford it (I'd easily spend that on a loco, if it was one I wanted), but because I'm not sure I can justify it for what use it will get.

As others have said, at that price, and with that level of intricacy, I'm not sure it's a genuine contender to be a regular item of rolling stock on any layout I'm likely to build - the risk of breaking it may be a little too great! And, to be honest, I don't really need a working crane. All that extra effort put into making it functional is likely to be lost on me. I'd rather have a cheaper one that's just eye candy, to be honest.

But, you never know. I'm not cancelling the order just yet. I'll give it some thought, and see what other demands there are on my wallet first.

Just got the email - gutted.

A jump from ninety quid to £212 is just taking the wee wee. I was expecting a hike, but nothing like that.

I'll be cancelling.

If thats hattons your talking about I hate their price estimations as it can end up in situations like this. Personally they should do what kernow do and dont put a price until on is confirmed then contact pre orders to confirm the order

• RMweb Premium

If thats hattons your talking about I hate their price estimations as it can end up in situations like this. Personally they should do what kernow do and dont put a price until on is confirmed then contact pre orders to confirm the order

Bingo

I honestly didn't expect the price to be that high. £200RRP max.

It will be interesting to see what happens to pre-orders now that the price is announced.

I also wonder if Bachmann could/should have considered a 'Knock Down' version of this model, whereby finished (painted and printed parts) are supplied, but intricate assembly can be done by the modeller. I would certainly be happy spending a day putting together such a piece. Then again maybe too much hastle in terms of after sales support for Bachmann to go into.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Agree 1

I'm still debating it, I was looking forward to having one, but this feels like a massive 'F YOU' from the company, ofcourse I was never expecting it to be cheap, I shall have to see what my financial situation is nearer the time of release and make a decision I guess.

If they have no choice but to set that price, then it is what it is.

Good luck with this one Bachmann. Yes the B/D crane is a wonderful model but I'm not sure that the majority will swàllow this pricing for an item that is not motorised.

At least Hornby's pricing for 2018 is somewhat more realistic.

Yes Hornby could steal a lot more customers, By pricing there models a better price, Bachmann should have looked at there market better, By doing one all bells, and one with out all the working parts maybe.

Edited by darren01
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I honestly didn't expect the price to be that high. £200RRP max.

It will be interesting to see what happens to pre-orders now that the price is announced.

I also wonder if Bachmann could/should have considered a 'Knock Down' version of this model, whereby finished (painted and printed parts are supplied, but intricate assembly can be done by the modeller. I would certainly be happy spending a day putting together such a piece. Then again maybe too much hastle in terms of after sales support for Bachmann to go into.

That would be good - a Bachmann Airfix kit.

Might also start people actually modelling again....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Can you post a link to this video please?

Certainly, its here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129673-Bachmann-review-of-outstanding-models/

Watch the video in the very first post. While it starts with the class 90 and then the Midland 1P, the 3rd segment deals with the Cranes

I'm still debating it, I was looking forward to having one, but this feels like a massive 'F YOU' from the company, ofcourse I was never expecting it to be cheap, I shall have to see what my financial situation is nearer the time of release and make a decision I guess.

If they have no choice but to set that price, then it is what it is.

I would suggest Bachmann are testing the water to see what people and the market will accept in the UK.

Whilst a lovely model it is not a "Must Have" for me at least.

I'm fully aware the prices have risen sharply due to a number of factors and that we have to pay more. I never take any notice of Hattons pre order prices, but this pricing appears out of proportion.

If this was motorised and a DCC operated model fair enough, but it isn't !

I generally don't tend to moan about pricing and rises but I think this is a bit over the top .

Yes I understand it's going to be a fantastically intricate and detailed model but I can't justify the outlay on a model that will mainly be sitting in a siding.

I could stomach £150 ish , I never expected it to be selling for £90, but its just too much now.

I have cancelled my pre order, Shame but those "nice to have models" are getting harder to justify.

I would love the new retooled Bachmann western Pullman but that's pretty eye watering in the price department too.

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering how I could do 2, but I think i'll stick to 1.

Its expensive, but you have to see it to appreciate it.

This is a model like no other when it comes to working detail (I'm thinking model ships now).

Between the Dynanometer car (£125) and this at double the price.. your getting much more for your money with the crane.

I know I'm sailing against the prevailing wind on this one, but tbh I was expecting it to be in this region.

Its going to be a talking point for many years to come and I don't think many other model prototype models exist to be made that could be more intricate and precision based yet fully functional than this crane.

Bachmann have done the maths, and recognise its going to be out of reach for many, and a real shift's worth at the assembly line to build, but the choice between a non-functional uprated toy, and the one we are getting, I think it's the right decision.

Put it another way, the Garratt I also believe was up their was industry head turning models, and it has a couple of £2 motors in it, and also cost £200...

The Midland Pullman however, I think was a mistake, who knows a year from know it may be repackaged without all the extra gubbins in the box that most buyers either already have, or won't need and reprice it £200 or so less which will probably work.

Hornby thought this last year with the ultimate 4468/4472 digital sound set @£600, but it got dropped very quickly.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

So, it's fully functional, but not remote controlled, so to use any of the functions you have to operate it all with comparatively giant hands, I wonder how often all those expensive moving parts are going to move, if at all...

Dear Bachmann, I'll happily take one with a static lowered crane for a hundred pounds less if the factory botch one up :P

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Did they ever stretch new cables on a crane in the yard? By hanging a ladder in midair like you use to see when I was a kid? As that's the only way I can think of using one with the jib up, with out designing a crash on a layout.

So, it's fully functional, but not remote controlled, so to use any of the functions you have to operate it all with comparatively giant hands, I wonder how often all those expensive moving parts are going to move, if at all...

Dear Bachmann, I'll happily take one with a static lowered crane for a hundred pounds less if the factory botch one up :P

Yes, that's pretty much my thoughts as well. We're talking about a detailed scale model here, not a toy. I think there's value in making it possible to move some of the key components, such as the jib and the outriggers, so that it can be posed in an action shot on a static scene. But I'm not convinced that all this intricate functionality will be used by the people most likely to buy it.

Had the crane been produced under previous dollar/pound conditions (I’m being apolitical here!) the crane might have been £225RRP (assuming c$1.5/pound). with 15% discount this would have put the price in at c.£191.20 (rough calculation, but interesting to see a possibly 10% price increase due to currency changes alone). The price of one more waggon or 50-66% of a coach!