Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

I don't think it matters where they're made, in this context anyway, or maybe even if spares are available. I've got a layout planned for an H&P Peckett, but with seven layouts already at some stage of development I really mustn't start another one yet. So do I buy a Peckett now, or maybe two, in case I actually build this layout in a few years time? [my emphasis]

I'm finding it difficult to muster much sympathy, to be frank. Sounds like you have more than enough fun stuff already. If it makes you feel any better, I can't afford everything I want, either. 

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That is slightly disappointing, I was looking forward to getting one when I could afford it, so if they are all but sold out already thats one thing less to thing to budget for.

All it means is they have sold their allocation, there will be plenty of shops with stock and like the 'Exeter incident' there will no doubt be a second batch if Hornby have sold all their stock.

It's not a limited edition and it's assuming that will be it despite previous examples that fuels the eBay price speculation. Ten minutes ringing around Hornby stockists will get you a pre order from someone as mentioned above :)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Whatever nostalgia one might have for the way things used to be done, the world has moved on and  the way models are produced nowadays doesn't lend itself to manufacturers or retailers sitting on unsold stock for very long,  

If you want something and don't take steps to get one when it arrives, you place yourself at the mercy of eBay traders who had more foresight or do without. SECR C Class anyone?

We get plenty of warning to save up for new stuff these days. If I don't plan ahead to get a particular model, it's usually a sign that I'm only half-hearted about having one. When a new announcement is made, I ask myself a couple of key questions.

• Do I want one, or more, and if so, how many.

• How do I go about financing what I want - do I have time to save up, need to dip into existing savings or hit the plastic?

Maybe it's easy for me, I have a well-defined (though not rigid) sphere of interest that I only occasionally buy or build outside of. I can see that today's trading structure isn't ideal for those whose activities bounce around numerous prototypes and eras but there are few real surprises these days. If ones interests are transient, can't they be steered towards whatever is planned before it becomes available rather than the year after they're all gone? The latter strikes me as doing things the hard way for its own sake.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

It is difficult.  Fail to buy when you can, which these days often means online pre-order, and you may miss out for good.  Bachmann fully lined C Class, Hornby Tintagel Castle.  Missed one, just bagged the last in the shop of the latter.

With other items, you can afford to wait and the price goes down; Hornby King, J15.

Hard to know.

For me, a very limited budget often over-rules the 'nice to have' and 'maybe a layout for it one day' purchases.

I have made an exception for the Peckett because:

(1) Dodo, an 1890s loco in works livery, can be more or less justified anywhere, any time.   I think I managed to pre-order one from Rails of Sheffield just before they ran out.  Fingers crossed.

(2) I can easily run it on Castle Aching (1905) as a local estate railway locomotive, so it can be used just as soon as I have some permanent way.  It need never be cabinet fodder.

(3) It can foster its own micro in due course, so is not one of those, 'now I need a rake of coaches, more trains and a mainline station to go with that nice thing I've just bought' purchases.

(4) It can be seen on anything else I'm likely to build in the future.

I find manufacturers are helping me currently by refusing to tool for earlier, usually pre-Grouping versions.  Hattons has relieved me of any desire to buy their 4800 by cynically neglecting its pre-war condition, but, nevertheless, applying pre-war liveries. Bachmann has relieved me of the desire to try to afford a Brighton Atlantic by announcing only an ex-Brighton Atlantic.  They have even helped by announcing an unlined LNWR tank, which, otherwise is just the sort of widespread and versatile small locomotive that no pre-Grouper should be without. How very kind.  Kernow have made their 1914 Gate Stock 1933 onwards gate Stock, and Hornby have made their LSWR stock rebuilt ex-LSW stock. How considerate of them both.

So, I end up with a 2016 loco budget of, what, £70, instead of many hundred £s.

Honestly, guys, thanks, you have saved me a small fortune and/or the heart ache of not being able to afford it all.

Now all I have to worry about are those Bachmann Birdcages .... 

That's the way to do it.  Refuse to model the 1950s and you are down to saving up for 1 RTR loco per year.  All you need do then is refuse to buy one kit until you've built the last, on the basis that this means you will only ever need to buy one kit a year, and you'll always be able to afford this hobby!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I assume that with pre-order allocations mean that there will be additional stock available when they are released, so that they don't oversell the pre-orders.

Fundamentally this is a good thing in the bigger picture, as Hornby have products that are flying off the shelves even before they arrive. Hornby need that right now. And these are such gorgeous little engines, I suspect someone at Hornby is kicking themselves for not doing them earlier. They are precisely what the market is after as we seem to be doing more shunting puzzles, small layouts, planks etc. Beautiful model, tiny size, great price - with hindsight they were always going to shift quickly. And it is a great indication of where the market is at present. As I suspect the Dapol 08 will show. Their Terriers didn't hang around either.

Long gone are the days of the same model being available for years (I'd love a Bachmann ATW 150 to go with my fleet but they've all gone and the next batch are DCC Sound at £260 :O ) so we have to get used to it.

I have little doubt as mentioned above they will already be planning more Pecketts given the response, so those who wish to save will have another opportunity. And hopefuly more of this type of loco. I'm curious on costings and margins, as at present it looks like models of this type, price point and quality will move rapidly. I wonder how the numbers compare with a large steam loco?

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 2

I'm finding it difficult to muster much sympathy, to be frank. Sounds like you have more than enough fun stuff already. If it makes you feel any better, I can't afford everything I want, either. 

Paul

Considering that some people seem to buy every livery variant of limited edition models, but my seven layouts are designed to need two locos each, some of which I have owned for decades, others will be bashed from cheap secondhand RTR, and only a few bought new, I'm not really doing my bit to support the industry. So the least the industry can do is to make sure I can buy stuff from them when I want it :).

• RMweb Gold

Well amongst all this gloom I'd say just be patient, I picked up the fully lined C class at a show over a year after they sold out, same with other models like Deltic. I scoured the stands at Woking yesterday to see what was hidden away.

Sensibly priced secondhand do turn up even on eBay, just set alerts. I picked up some figures last week as a group of ten for under half what they are selling for individually £16!

There are plenty of impulse buyers and people who change their minds etc that feed them back to the market. See some of the secondhand dealers, tell them what you want and what you're prepared to pay ;)

• RMweb Gold

Applying patience after missing the original batches I got the SECR C for £120 and 2 DELTIC's for under 100 for a mate and myself, both in mint condition off a trader and via a friend.

With buy and sell here as well you can pick up the models you want even if you miss the original release but it may take a couple of years.

Applying patience after missing the original batches I got the SECR C for £120 and 2 DELTIC's for under 100 for a mate and myself, both in mint condition off a trader and via a friend.

With buy and sell here as well you can pick up the models you want even if you miss the original release but it may take a couple of years.

Delighted for you, but the going rate on Ebay is around £400.

• RMweb Gold

Delighted for you, but the going rate on Ebay is around £400.

As Paul says, you need to work at it. You won't always get what you want but most of the time with patience things appear :)  And it is quite satisfying to track things down at non-Ebay prices. But Ebay prices vary widely. Over 2 weeks in August that ATW 150 I mentioned sold on Ebay for £72 and £135 within 2 weeks of each other. I missed the cheaper one!

I trawl the magazine ads and shows (less so on Ebay nowadays) as there are some serious bargains even tucked inside the magazines. Those model shops who don't list all their stock or don't sell at all online are great places to find stuff long after it has sold out on the internet. My local shop is Dutfield's in Chelmsford and there is loads of allegedly sold out stuff in there. Last time I was in over the summer they still had a Hornby ATW Mk3 Buffet car, which I had spent weeks tracking down elsewhere at the end of 2015 after Hornby ran out. I always go for a dig around if I'm passing.

As Paul says, you need to work at it. You won't always get what you want but most of the time with patience things appear :)  And it is quite satisfying to track things down at non-Ebay prices. But Ebay prices vary widely. Over 2 weeks in August that ATW 150 I mentioned sold on Ebay for £72 and £135 within 2 weeks of each other. I missed the cheaper one!

I trawl the magazine ads and shows (less so on Ebay nowadays) as there are some serious bargains even tucked inside the magazines. Those model shops who don't list all their stock or don't sell at all online are great places to find stuff long after it has sold out on the internet. My local shop is Dutfield's in Chelmsford and there is loads of allegedly sold out stuff in there. Last time I was in over the summer they still had a Hornby ATW Mk3 Buffet car, which I had spent weeks tracking down elsewhere at the end of 2015 after Hornby ran out. I always go for a dig around if I'm passing.

Thanks, I have patience in spades.  I would be surprised if I found a reasonably priced fully-lined C, but will keep looking!  In the meantime, even the ones with simple lining are quite expensive, but I wonder if one of those plus SE Finecast lining transfers might be a less financially crippling alternative!

I'm afraid I don't know what an ATW 150 is.  No, please do not tell me; ignorance is a delicate bloom, touch it and it withers!

Goodness me! Such a fuss, but nil desperandum lads, if the current sell outs are any indication Hornby will be having a second run and maybe a third for what is, as several have pointed out, a very versatile locomotive. OTOH get used to this new way of doing business because it is the way of the future. Most North American companies have been doing things by pre-order for some time now, just ask Jason at Rapido. I suppose that if this teaches us nothing else it is the need to separate wants and needs and understand which is which.

Cheers,

David

Goodness me! Such a fuss, but nil desperandum lads, if the current sell outs are any indication Hornby will be having a second run and maybe a third for what is, as several have pointed out, a very versatile locomotive. OTOH get used to this new way of doing business because it is the way of the future. Most North American companies have been doing things by pre-order for some time now, just ask Jason at Rapido. I suppose that if this teaches us nothing else it is the need to separate wants and needs and understand which is which.

Cheers,

David

I don't think anyone was making a fuss.  I think we can cope with the concept of pre-order in the Mother Country.  What we would like to hang onto, however, are our model shops.  Until moving house, I ordered everything through my local shop.  This back-fired when I lost out on one of the five new Colletts, the over-subscribed Thirds, as Hornby refused to supply this as it exceeded the shop's monthly credit limit. 

Exercising patience, I eventually found one online for the standard price.  A bit of postage and loss of my chosen supplier's discount was the only disadvantage, but I got my coach.  No fuss was made.

Edited by Edwardian

• RMweb Gold

Yes but it's not horse drawn,is it?

Omni just means all, bus for all, and isn't exclusive to horse drawn buses. They were Horse drawn Omnibus and because they were the only ones it was shortened to refer to them as Omnibuses.

Many motor buses carried company names including Omnibus Company ;)

Anyhoo Peckets? ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

Omni just means all, bus for all, and isn't exclusive to horse drawn buses. They were Horse drawn Omnibus and because they were the only ones it was shortened to refer to them as Omnibuses.

Many motor buses carried company names including Omnibus Company ;)

Anyhoo Peckets? ;)

Flanders:  "Omnibus", my friend Mr Swann informs me, comes from the Latin, "omnibus", meaning to or for, by, with, or from everybody - which is a very good description! This song is about a bus, it's wittily subtitled - (I thought of this) - "A Transport of Delight".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVHbF0jAzMw

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok we now have most of a page of omnibuses, while more amusing than paranoia about sold out models getting too far off topic ;)

One thing is I wonder why they've not announced some MSC and H&P wagons to match?

Ok we now have most of a page of omnibuses, while more amusing than paranoia about sold out models getting too far off topic ;)

One thing is I wonder why they've not announced some MSC and H&P wagons to match?

Maybe, like omnibuses, all these will turn up at the same time!

Edited by BG John