Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Premium

On the LMS power classifications were reserved for revenue earning locomotives and started at 1 F or P. The 3F Jinty was an anomaly because it was at the same time a shunter and a revenue earning loco.

On BR there were revenue earning locos from the SR which had the power of many dock shunters which created a further anomaly. The solution was to start the classification system at 0 and include all but a few really exceptional engines which were considered to be unclassified.

Regards

That's a distinction I've never come across before. Does this mean that a 2P standing as station pilot at the west end of Birmingham New St would be non-revenue earning and hence not classed 2P while shunting the fish sidings but revenue earning as soon as coupled up in front of a Jubilee to double-head a Bristol express? Was this an accounting distinction? I'm afraid this sounds unlikely to me - I look forward to clarification!

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone else had a problem with removal of the front coupling prior to body removal? I started by very gently easing a flat screwdriver under the coupling - actually the socket, having removed the coupling itself from the socket. I just could not shift the socket upwards at all. It then bent upwards where the thin flexible bit is. Next I tried gently grasping that bit with pliers and gently pulled. That achieved more damage.

Eventually the socket has broken just leaving the wedge part in the body of the loco and, at present i can't shift it at all. I noted something shiny at the edges as if glue had been used - surely not?!

I really have been careful and I am not inexperienced in working on models.The coupling is easily replaced but I am still trying to figure out how to prise the final bit out as it seems to be stuck fast.

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone else had a problem with removal of the front coupling prior to body removal? I started by very gently easing a flat screwdriver under the coupling - actually the socket, having removed the coupling itself from the socket. I just could not shift the socket upwards at all. It then bent upwards where the thin flexible bit is. Next I tried gently grasping that bit with pliers and gently pulled. That achieved more damage.

Eventually the socket has broken just leaving the wedge part in the body of the loco and, at present i can't shift it at all. I noted something shiny at the edges as if glue had been used - surely not?!

I really have been careful and I am not inexperienced in working on models.The coupling is easily replaced but I am still trying to figure out how to prise the final bit out as it seems to be stuck fast.

My Dodo coupling was very tight but did move when I used a blunt blade under it. No signs of any glue.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

I'd be inclined to drill a small hole, about 1.5mm, into the triangular bit. You know the size of the part so you won't go too deep. Then insert a small self tapper and pull. 

If that doesn't do it, work away at the remains with a pointed scalpel blade until you reach the sides of the housing. 

This seems a bit odd - mine came out with very little trouble - maybe the pocket in yours has a bit of flash that required it to be fitted with more-than-usual force.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I'd be inclined to drill a small hole, about 1.5mm, into the triangular bit. You know the size of the part so you won't go too deep. Then insert a small self tapper and pull. 

If that doesn't do it, work away at the remains with a pointed scalpel blade until you reach the sides of the housing. 

This seems a bit odd - mine came out with very little trouble - maybe the pocket in yours has a bit of flash that required it to be fitted with more-than-usual force.

John

Thanks for the suggestion although I am already well on the way to cutting away with a scalpel. I have tried pushing a sharp pair of tweezers into it and attempting to prise it up but cannot move it. I cannot get a screwdriver under it to prise upwards either.

I am being very careful because I have to hold the loco and am I am being careful not to squeeze it too tight and causing damage to the rods, pistons,etc.

I have never had a coupling fitted this tightly before, it is rock solid!

I have a Hornby Sentinel diesel that originally had a very tightly fitted coupling pocket. The reason was that it had been fitted upside down so that the chamfered part of the rearward 'vee' was fitted facing downwards with the non-chamfered face forced into the socket on the loco chassis. To fit the pocket upside down probably means excessive force will be required just as 'Dunsignalling' suggests above. I was lucky and managed to prise it out using a very thin-bladed jewellers screwdriver but it was very tight and the pocket was a complete write-off.

I do sympathise with you holding the loco as I too had to  remove the body from my Peckett, (pickup contacts needed tweaking), and my heart was in my mouth about damaging any of the very fine detail - especially that whistle. I'm thinking of making a suitable cradle so that the loco can be safely held upside down without damage.

Hope you succeed.

Has anyone else had a problem with removal of the front coupling prior to body removal?

I have the opposite problem, I took mine apart to put a chip in and now can't get the pocket to stay on!!

• RMweb Gold

I have a Hornby Sentinel diesel that originally had a very tightly fitted coupling pocket. The reason was that it had been fitted upside down so that the chamfered part of the rearward 'vee' was fitted facing downwards with the non-chamfered face forced into the socket on the loco chassis. To fit the pocket upside down probably means excessive force will be required just as 'Dunsignalling' suggests above. I was lucky and managed to prise it out using a very thin-bladed jewellers screwdriver but it was very tight and the pocket was a complete write-off.

I do sympathise with you holding the loco as I too had to  remove the body from my Peckett, (pickup contacts needed tweaking), and my heart was in my mouth about damaging any of the very fine detail - especially that whistle. I'm thinking of making a suitable cradle so that the loco can be safely held upside down without damage.

Hope you succeed.

I have also had the "too loose" problem on another loco.

I am using the Peco cradle but even then it is difficult to hold the loco firmly while trying to lever or lift out the coupling. The "wedge" is now so damaged that it will be difficult to do anymore than cut it out to I put it to one side for a few hours using my "keep calm, take your time and think" policy!  :)

It' so frustrating as I want to fit a decoder and get it running on the layout and I did not expect to fall the first hurdle in the process! I know I can still take the body off and fix the coupling later but I like to sort problems as they appear. With such a simple, but difficult problem to solve, in the first few minutes I got a bit wary wondering what might be lurking under the bonnet for me yesterday!

Hey Ho. All part of the fun of railway modelling!

I liked the video of the locos at the Burntisland aluminium works. Would any of the current peckett models match either of the locos in that video?

Both their Pecketts were M5s (10 x 15 cylinders, 2' 9" wheels and 5ft wb) which are a bit smaller than W4s (14 x 20 cyls, 3' 2" wheels on 5ft 6in wb) but I wouldn't criticise you for using a W4.

I have also had the "too loose" problem on another loco.

I am using the Peco cradle but even then it is difficult to hold the loco firmly while trying to lever or lift out the coupling. The "wedge" is now so damaged that it will be difficult to do anymore than cut it out to I put it to one side for a few hours using my "keep calm, take your time and think" policy!  :)

It' so frustrating as I want to fit a decoder and get it running on the layout and I did not expect to fall the first hurdle in the process! I know I can still take the body off and fix the coupling later but I like to sort problems as they appear. With such a simple, but difficult problem to solve, in the first few minutes I got a bit wary wondering what might be lurking under the bonnet for me yesterday!

Hey Ho. All part of the fun of railway modelling!

Here's a nice cheap cradle.

Made from polystyrene blocks left over from the packaging around my TV set.

This material is often used by manufacturers of electrical goods , it is also soft and kind to that fine detail.

Assemble using 2 pack epoxy as liquid glues will melt it.

This one has lasted for about three years so far.

post-24481-0-21566700-1484926063_thumb.jpg

Edited by trevor7598
  • Like 5

My MSC Peckett's first outing on Compton Quay, during the Weston-Super-Mare Model Train Show. Must say she really looks the part on the Quayside, especially along side the MSC Sentinel too! Here's a quick video featuring her, plus a number of other visitors to the layout too. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol2sLx4sV80

post-20663-0-33477700-1484930039_thumb.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 7

I liked the video of the locos at the Burntisland aluminium works. Would any of the current peckett models match either of the locos in that video?

Both their Pecketts were M5s (10 x 15 cylinders, 2' 9" wheels and 5ft wb) which are a bit smaller than W4s (14 x 20 cyls, 3' 2" wheels on 5ft 6in wb) but I wouldn't criticise you for using a W4.

There were a couple of good colour photies in Steam Days for November 2009, which also highlight a couple of differences besides the size - nothing insuperable but you need to be aware, and there is a bit of a bummer on the livery.

As to the form, you need the big brass dome and that curious lubricator gubbins on the lum, which points to either Dodo or Huntley and Palmers, although the original safety valves had been replaced, but whatever you go for will need the cab altering per the video - it looks like they were originally backless, but then had a locally fabricated rear welded on angled out to the bottom to accommodate the brake standard. Then you need to infill the forward part of the cab with wriggly tin sheeting - which appears to be unpainted. Looking at the photies it doesn't appear that either of them had the lower handrail on the saddle tank.

Moving on to livery the two photies show them to be slightly different, but I think that reflects their probably being taken at different dates - two different photographers are credited.

No.1 [1376 of 1915] appears to be newly repainted in an unlined bright green with red buffer beams and red edge to the running plate, cylinders are also green but the rods aren't painted, while the dome as mentioned is polished brass and the lum is black with a copper [not brass] cap.

No.2 [1579 of 1921] is intriguing because apart from the brass dome and red-edged running plate it has the same shade of green and same lining as the MSC model, which makes me think that during or after WWI the off-the-shelf livery changed to that rather than the light leaf green displayed by Dodo. Both the Culter Mill Pecketts were darkish green.

Both locos had name plates on the saddle tank. The older loco simply had BAC Ltd while the newer one had the addition of No2

Edited by Caledonian

A couple of points of interest can be found in this clip from YouTube

First off is the location of the whistle which has been moved to the dome from the cab roof thus making it harder to knock off. Second is the matter of sound. apart from the whoosh of steam and the toot of the whistle, there's not much to be heard!

Cheers,

David

• Like 8

My Peckett started running a little hesitantly on my rolling road during running in.

On closer inspection I found a good smear of lubricant on the inside of the driving wheel on the driven axle. With this removed with a cotton bud, perfect running!

Interesting note on the Hornby engine shed blog that the next issue has already sold out/no more pre orders on the Hornby web site. I really do think they need to look at a further run this year!

I do wonder if it is the sell out nature or the eBay sellers chasing stock and a quick buck or modellers really have taken to them?

Any ways looks like pre orders will be the only way to get one this year.

• RMweb Premium

Some pictures of No.11 on my dockside micro exhibition layout 'Compton Quay'. She really does look the part, especially along side MSC Sentinel DH.16. 

I find running a brick / orange-ish-red felt pen up the fold lines of Metcalfe brick buildings does wonders for their appearance. Lovely setts - how done? (Apologies for going off-Peckett again.)