Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

I'm feeling very chuffed having picked up what must have been one of the last Dodos available in the country from 53a Models in Hull. Admittedly I did have to email/phone ALOT of shops, and I did have two ultimatley flawed plans which would have got it to me much sooner, but it's coming now! :locomotive: 

PS, if there's anyone out there who still wants one, Holt Model Centre have at least one for £109. Bit steep, but there it is.

• Like 2

Whilst in project mode... what differentiates a W2 from a W4?

W2 had 13" cylinders while W4 has14". There is only one photo of a W2 in the IRS album of Peckett photos which shows that the tank didn't cover the smokebox and the cab had open back and sides. Looks generally smaller all over. FWIW, the W series had 3' 2" wheels on a 5'6" wb, the Rs had 3ft wheels with smaller cylinders but also with 5' 6" wb and the M series 2' 6" or 2' 9" wheels on a 5ft wb.

The correct wheels for whichever loco they model!  Not the Peckett or Pug ones.....

They could always go to Tanfield and measure the Grant, Ritchie 0-4-2ST.  That would be nice as a model.  With the correct wheels - it still has 4 of the 6.....

No they couldn't because it's in Scotland at Prestongrange! I think you mean the Andrew Barclay, either way a model of one of these would be nice.

I have to say I am thrilled with my Pecketts. The first surprise was just how small they are, then there is the joy at the running characteristics, they run far better than my 0-6-0s and the haulage abilities are amazing.

I had ordered two from Monk Bar models and was so pleased I decided I wanted a blue one as well.

Like many I have started another small dedicated layout for them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just managed to buy a H & P one on EBay for £95, luckily the seller couldn't spell Peckett so it was kept away from everyone's hungry eyes whilst I did the deal. If there isn't an icon for jealous then just feel free to post abuse, I don't care 'cos I've got one now.

<abuse>

I am amazed at the number of people who cannot spell things even when they are written down in front of them. Not just Peckett, but Kadee is another one that springs to mind.

</abuse>

There. That's got that off my chest. As you will see, it is not directed at you. Congratulations on getting hold of one. Enjoy it.

• RMweb Gold

A single MSC example in stock at Hattons this afternoon. I bought it. It would have been rude not to.

**Sigh** Too good to be true. When Hattons came to pick it, it wasn't there. Quite disappointed.

Good news! Hattons found the elusive Peckett and it's on its way. A veritable roller coaster of a purchase :-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

<abuse>I am amazed at the number of people who cannot spell things even when they are written down in front of them. Not just Peckett, but Kadee is another one that springs to mind.</abuse>There. That's got that off my chest. As you will see, it is not directed at you. Congratulations on getting hold of one. Enjoy it.

And bullied.

Damned auto correct :-)

Bulleid.

Edited by adb968008

No, not odd. If you had you would realise how much the seller will receive, and it is nowhere near the £106.

Roy

Its not a "buy it now", £113.65 (inc delivery) is the starting price for bids.

The seller mainly deals in miscellaneous second hand items, including model railway stuff.

The MSC livery was the last to be generally available on preorder, so was probably bought from a genuine retailer on spec to cash in on a perceived shortage.

At least the listing didn't declare it to be "RARE!!!"

I didn't realise we had to feel sorry for sellers for the charges they have to pay ebay to display and sell their items.

• RMweb Gold

Its not a "buy it now", £113.65 (inc delivery) is the starting price for bids.

The seller mainly deals in miscellaneous second hand items, including model railway stuff.

The MSC livery was the last to be generally available on preorder, so was probably bought from a genuine retailer on spec to cash in on a perceived shortage.

At least the listing didn't declare it to be "RARE!!!"

I didn't realise we had to feel sorry for sellers for the charges they have to pay ebay to display and sell their items.

What has "buy it now" got to do with anything?

Not asking you to feel sorry for them, just pointing out that they are not making huge amounts of money that your posts imply. If people are prepared to pay £200 for it that is their business!

We live in a society where we are fortunate enough to be able to trade freely, we shouldn't criticise those that do.

Roy

If only people were patient. I bet they will be available second hand including unused ones at toy fairs and model railway shows in a while. I got an M7 unused at a show because someone had maxed out his credit cards probably by buying on ebay at silly prices.

If only people were patient. I bet they will be available second hand including unused ones at toy fairs and model railway shows in a while. I got an M7 unused at a show because someone had maxed out his credit cards probably by buying on ebay at silly prices.

OK, sound thought! "at toy fairs and model railway shows". So keep an open eye on the toy fairs/swapmeets and exhibition traders if you still want to get a Peckett.

Last Sunday I saw a total of four MSC/No. 11 and one H&P up for grabs at the Spalding J&J Webb fair. One trader had three of the MSC at a very reasonable price - about £73.50 or thereabouts.

I didn't post about this find when I got back because no-one seemed still to be hunting from the posts to be seen here at the time.

• RMweb Gold

OK, sound thought! "at toy fairs and model railway shows". So keep an open eye on the toy fairs/swapmeets and exhibition traders if you still want to get a Peckett.

Last Sunday I saw a total of four MSC/No. 11 and one H&P up for grabs at the Spalding J&J Webb fair. One trader had three of the MSC at a very reasonable price - about £73.50 or thereabouts.

I didn't post about this find when I got back because no-one seemed still to be hunting from the posts to be seen here at the time.

You should of picked up a Peckett or two ;)

Has anybody tried sound fitting in them, as I have a query from a friend about DCC and sound, and most of the speakers I have seen would not get in the space involved at the front of the motor. I have some Bachmann sound chips that would fit the sound chip with a hard wired installation.

I know there are tiny speakers but I have not heard them for myself and I am unsure what they are exactly in operation, must be virtually a modified hearing aid speaker or ear piece unit with larger cone or flat front.

Does anybody know the output in milliwatts of a typical sound chip amplifier, and is the impedance standard set within the standards from NMRA etc.?

Thoughts have occurred that a mini tube speaker, with a silicon diaphragm at one end and a second passive diaphragm, with a controlling air vent between them might make a nice micro design. The magnets are no problem with the huge range available in neodymium. but the coil must be carefully matched to the amp.  I think one might be possible in the space that Hornby recovered by not using the flywheel.

Not entirely new to this, I have made drive units for horn speakers before. and the sound required is hardly hi-fi and of a very limited frequency range. The thin silicon disks for the sound "cone" or flat panel are cast from pure silicon, with wires to stiffen it cast inside the diaphragm. Silicon on it's own is too soft to use.

Worth a few experiments I think, if the sound output is tailored to the steam sound range. my only real interest in DCC is the sound, I do not need multiple locos moving or remote signals via DCC.....but sound is different and worthwhile.

• RMweb Gold

And bullied.

Damned auto correct :-)

Bulleid.

Careful you don't want your name going on zee list...

Have you already forgotten who runs the Inquisition side of the RSPP? The Acolytes of O.V.S Bulleid - those men in Malachite Green and Sunshine yellow striped robes  :jester:  :jester:

They currently have a special on Barn Door Crucifixions (well done Caledonian) - first one free, second one will cost your entire model railway collection (Barn doors are expensive after all), however if you give them the name of the My Hermes or Yodel Courier who "damaged" your Peckett, the second one is also free ;)

• RMweb Gold

As per 4360

attachicon.giffagin.jpg

Want to buy My Dear...........Only £999.99 to you

FAGIN

You see, Oliver...

In this life, one thing counts

In the bank, large amounts

I'm afraid these don't grow on trees,

You've got to pick-a-peckett or two

You've got to pick-a-peckett or two, boys,

You've got to pick-a-peckett or two.

[bOYS]

Large amounts don't grow on trees.

Let's show Oliver how it's done, shall we, my dears?

[sung] Why should we break our backs

Stupidly paying tax?

Better get some untaxed income

Better to pick-a-peckett or two.

You've got to pick-a-peckett or two, boys

[bOYS]

Why should we all break our backs?

Better pick-a-peckett or two.

FAGIN

Who says crime doesn't pay?

Robin Hood, what a crook!

Gave away, what he took.

Charity's fine, subscribe to mine.

Get out and pick-a-peckett or two

You've got to pick-a-peckett or two, boys

[FAGIN AND BOYS]

We have to pick-a-peckett or two!

And no Barn door for you :) You've been granted Peckett Immunity by the RSPP  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

No they couldn't because it's in Scotland at Prestongrange! I think you mean the Andrew Barclay, either way a model of one of these would be nice.

I stand corrected, I thought that was a GR.  To be fair it's 14 years since I lived in the area - or the UK for that matter.  IIRC there are only 2 GR's left?

• Like 1

As per 4360

attachicon.giffagin.jpg

Want to buy My Dear...........Only £999.99 to you

My dear Bertiedog!  You have excelled yourself in this wonderful rendition to the glorious Peckett's!   I do hope (as JennyEmily has suggested to me) that Hornby delete another item from their 'production slots' and fill it with another run of Peckett's, using the same tampo printing but varying the numbers and works plates.  This seems an excellent idea, especially for those who didn't manage to acquire the 'Holy Grail'...............

• RMweb Premium

PS - AB 945 Annie would be a nice one to do - it used to be owned by my best mate/boss.  He sold it to buy Ugly 62. Which he sold to buy a quarter of Taw Valley.....but I'd settle for the Barclay!