RMweb

Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

Presume there will be a delay what with the strikes.. hopefully no vids on YouTube to keep me distracted from watching us thrash the frogs later!!

So sound ones only from Dapol but can't see any spare ones on website.. 

Anybody know if the smoke generator can be powered by a loksound 4?

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

Presume there will be a delay what with the strikes.. hopefully no vids on YouTube to keep me distracted from watching us thrash the frogs later!!

So sound ones only from Dapol but can't see any spare ones on website.. 

Anybody know if the smoke generator can be powered by a loksound 4?

Don't mistreat your point crossovers too much, otherwise your trains will derail!

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, newbryford said:

More like this then?

image.png.49f74c329c749e35108d9de109c9a413.png

The third box is for his 92s......

Steady, theres only 15 of the real thing !

and only about 56 livery variations… suppose you could model one on stilts for a year too 😀

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

28 minutes ago, richard w said:

I don't know enough about them to comment on the NRN pods.  Are these correct on 59005?  If not where should they be? 

Thanks for the pictures and modification tips.

I believe 59005 was the only one delivered with the radio pods, being ordered after the first four.  Dapol have put them in the correct place.  While not necessarily a 100% accurate representation of the pod, I think they are closer to the real thing on this model than on the 59/1, which had a different style of pod.  Best pictures I can find of each end (you can zoom in for a close-up):

Foster Yeoman Class 59/0, 59005 "Kenneth J. Painter"

59005 56038 Westbury

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BR(S) said:
38 minutes ago, richard w said:

I don't know enough about them to comment on the NRN pods.  Are these correct on 59005?  If not where should they be? 

Thanks for the pictures and modification tips.

I believe 59005 was the only one delivered with the radio pods, being ordered after the first four.  Dapol have put them in the correct place.  While not necessarily a 100% accurate representation of the pod, I think they are closer to the real thing on this model than on the 59/1, which had a different style of pod.  Best pictures I can find of each end (you can zoom in for a close-up

59005's pods are the same as on a 59/1. It's 001-4 that are different, being retro fitted.

@richard w, to correct the model you'd have to file a rebate in the roof at no.1 (exhaust) end to mount the radio pod. Location is correct though, as per below pic

59005 + 59001 7A17 Wootton Rivers

You mention day and night mode for the lights, out of interest what do these do? The 59/0 doesn't have day and night lights, only the later /1 and /2s. As built the centre lights had a bright and dim setting, but this got wired to dim and had the switch removed.

Jo 

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

You mention day and night mode for the lights, out of interest what do these do? The 59/0 doesn't have day and night lights, only the later /1 and /2s. As built the centre lights had a bright and dim setting, but this got wired to dim and had the switch removed.

The lighting is complex with several CVs needing to be set.  It's not accurate as far as I can tell having looked at real photos.  All 4 lamps at the front should be lit but the best the model can manage is 3.  The lower marker switches from one side to the other when toggling night mode.  You can switch both markers on but this turns off the centre headlights.

20221211_193721.jpg.564590641c2d8bc1a40a75a4a280a31d.jpg

20221211_194243.jpg.4ab3a8de7dab0aa561af01793a2b48a4.jpg

20221211_194318.jpg.311ba512d02e6c82dd8fd267ac711c31.jpg

20221211_194337.jpg.a407e609a56b8f33747628370c58793d.jpg

Some CV alterations might solve it but I wouldn't know where to begin.  The imperium decoder doesn't seem to have a published CV list.  The Dapol technical page on their website doesn't appear to work or have anything in it either.

Edited by richard w
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

It is great that the exhaust can come out and be lowered.

I am thinking of doing 001-004 so I will have to move the port to other side or maybe use a Lima one. The radio pod will have to go too. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard w said:

The lighting is complex with several CVs needing to be set.  It's not accurate as far as I can tell having looked at real photos.  All 4 lamps at the front should be lit but the best the model can manage is 3.  The lower marker switches from one side to the other when toggling night mode.  You can switch both markers on but this turns off the centre headlights.

Oh dear!

2 hours ago, BR Blue said:

It is great that the exhaust can come out and be lowered.

I am thinking of doing 001-004 so I will have to move the port to other side or maybe use a Lima one. The radio pod will have to go too. 

It all depends on the era being modelled. 59001-004 had their silencers replaced in the mid 1990s, moving the exhaust outlet to the other side, so the model of 005 isn't necessarily wrong in this respect for the other locos.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, richard w said:

20221211_193721.jpg.564590641c2d8bc1a40a75a4a280a31d.jpg

20221211_194243.jpg.4ab3a8de7dab0aa561af01793a2b48a4.jpg

20221211_194318.jpg.311ba512d02e6c82dd8fd267ac711c31.jpg

20221211_194337.jpg.a407e609a56b8f33747628370c58793d.jpg

Some CV alterations might solve it but I wouldn't know where to begin.  The imperium decoder doesn't seem to have a published CV list.  The Dapol technical page on their website doesn't appear to work or have anything in it either.

In reality the centre headlight has different intensity levels, think the highest one was considered too bright by BR so needed to be toned down 

But if the 59/0 is the same as an Irish GM the headlights and side/running lights run off separate circuits. Rarely seen photos of 59/0's running in daytime with the central headlight on

I'm sure Dapol will pick up or acknowledge lighting issues anyway 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Oh dear!

It all depends on the era being modelled. 59001-004 had their silencers replaced in the mid 1990s, moving the exhaust outlet to the other side, so the model of 005 isn't necessarily wrong in this respect for the other locos.

Jo

Yes, I am going for the late 80s with the silencers in their original position so in my case, I have to modify. Someone doing the locos in a later period would only have to correct the height issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaGrange said:

In reality the centre headlight has different intensity levels, think the highest one was considered too bright by BR so needed to be toned down 

But if the 59/0 is the same as an Irish GM the headlights and side/running lights run off separate circuits. Rarely seen photos of 59/0's running in daytime with the central headlight on

I'm sure Dapol will pick up or acknowledge lighting issues anyway 

As posted yesterday 😉 it's OK, will let you off as it was the previous page 😄

14 hours ago, Steadfast said:

The 59/0 doesn't have day and night lights, only the later /1 and /2s. As built the centre lights had a bright and dim setting, but this got wired to dim and had the switch removed.

In a 59/0 there are two switches for the white lights. One does the two markers, one does the headlights. 

Markers only is used in yards etc.

59204 6O12, 59002 7O35 Westbury

Both switches turned on gives you markers and headlight, used on running lines.

A long way back to Merehead

Whilst you may occasionally see a 59/0 with only one marker lit, categorically 100% this is because one bulb has failed.

Jo

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4