Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

19 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

In case no one had seen, DC 59s are currently in the Hattons for the same ballpark price as the Horny Railroad version 

Im not keen on the Dapol class 59.... it has a lot of faults for a loco that took as long as it did to be produced and i dont think it matches the level of quality and detail as locos being released recently, i was very dissapointed with it.

However, if it is going cheap i could be tempted........ but i have to ask, is Hattons website always so dam hard to make work, i cant find any class 59s, let alone cheap ones?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Im not keen on the Dapol class 59.... it has a lot of faults for a loco that took as long as it did to be produced and i dont think it matches the level of quality and detail as locos being released recently, i was very dissapointed with it.

However, if it is going cheap i could be tempted........ but i have to ask, is Hattons website always so dam hard to make work, i cant find any class 59s, let alone cheap ones?

They sold out very quickly. I had Vale of Glamorgan sitting in an open tab while I weighed my options, and when I went to add to cart just to see what the shipping would be it had already sold out.

78 quid, and then DCC was about 100 quid.

They do "look" right - they carry the heft and the colour scheme etc.

The only one they have left in stock is ARC yellow at 123 GBP, which is a saving of about 50 pounds, but not the almost 90 pounds of the deal on black Friday on Vale of Glamorgan. https://www.hattons.co.uk/153959/dapol_4d_005_001_class_59_1_59103_village_of_mells_in_arc_yellow/stockdetail

Other Dapol 59s listed on the website are available to pre-order.

2 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Possibly sold out?  Things seem pretty volatile!  Yeah sold out, I went for the NP Blue one, none left now

Edited by Pmorgancym

• RMweb Premium

Generally I am really happy with my 59, I have a Legoman sound chip with twin iPhone speakers onboard. All sounds pretty good but I would like to put a speaker in with more bass to it. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I don't particularly want to go down the route of milling the chassis or anything along those lines.

3 hours ago, 7013 said:

Generally I am really happy with my 59, I have a Legoman sound chip with twin iPhone speakers onboard. All sounds pretty good but I would like to put a speaker in with more bass to it. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I don't particularly want to go down the route of milling the chassis or anything along those lines.

im sure some one as put em1 or em2 in the 59 sure it was on youtube, best check tho 

21 hours ago, The Meerkat said:

im sure some one as put em1 or em2 in the 59 sure it was on youtube, best check tho 

On 30/11/2023 at 11:07, 7013 said:

I used a Sugarcube and an EM1 together: 

• RMweb Premium
On 01/12/2023 at 17:15, Revolution Mike B said:

Me too Guy. I found that the sugar cube helped with the ying ying as it got a little lost with just the EM1 on its own. It’s even worse with just an EM2

Hi Mike

Should the two speakers be wired in Parallel or Series? I have an EM1 waiting to go in but would like to add a sugarcube 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 7013 said:

Hi Mike

Should the two speakers be wired in Parallel or Series? I have an EM1 waiting to go in but would like to add a sugarcube 

Series. An EM1 is 4 Ohm, so you don’t want another 4 Ohm in parallel as that will result in 2 Ohms, well below that quoted for a Loksound. If it is 8 Ohm, in series you get 2.67 Ohm, again too low. 

If it is an 8 Ohm sugarcube in series, you are going to get a resulting 12 Ohm, which will make it sound quieter. Ideally, you want a 4 Ohm sugarcube in series. 

Hope that helps?

Edit: typo corrected thanks to SRman. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Series. An EM1 is 4 Ohm, so you don’t want another 4 Ohm in series as that will result in 2 Ohms, well below that quoted for a Loksound. If it is 8 Ohm, in series you get 2.67 Ohm, again too low. 

If it is an 8 Ohm sugarcube in series, you are going to get a resulting 12 Ohm, which will make it sound quieter. Ideally, you want a 4 Ohm sugarcube on series. 

Hope that helps?

Roy

I think you mean "parallel" where I have highlighted that bit of text, Roy, just to save future confusion.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, SRman said:

I think you mean "parallel" where I have highlighted that bit of text, Roy, just to save future confusion.

Quite right, and I even proof read it! I have edited my post. 

Thanks. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, 7013 said:

Hi Mike

They're wired in series using an 8ohm sugar cube and the 4ohm EM1 giving 12ohms - perfectly acceptable for a Lolsound V5 in a Class 59 which doesn’t need to blow the windows out of your house. Hope that helps.

Mike 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1