Hornby Black Friday Sale

Black 5 Bear

A question, there are 2 GWR railroad coaches on offer. Are these the same as the old Hornby ones that came in different liveries (inc caledonian rly) or are they a newer design? Can't decide from the illustrations. Thanks.

Yeah the older ones.

They are the Hornby Collett coaches, presently in the shirt button, livery tooling for which goes back, I believe, to 1977.  I don't believe they are the same tooling as the Tri-ang plum and spilt milk Caledonian coaches of 1963.

They are the Hornby Collett coaches, presently in the shirt button, livery tooling for which goes back, I believe, to 1977.  I don't believe they are the same tooling as the Tri-ang plum and spilt milk Caledonian coaches of 1963.

Thanks for the info, both. Certainly old tooling then (mind you cheap at £9.99).

Happy Thanksgiving, Ozexpatriate!

• RMweb Premium

Which said, there are some coaches plus the footbridge which appeal - a question, haven't got any of the latest railroad mk1s, but in the illustrations it looks like they have plastic wheels , is that right?

Yes, the Railroad branded MK1s have plastic wheels. The main range ones have metal wheels however.

• RMweb Gold

Not such a bargain when a Lenz Silver+ can be bought for around £17 to £18 and a Lenz Standard+ for about £13.

Bloody hell Ron not again ;-)

There really was no need for that comment, the name of the thread gives it away "Hornby Black Friday Sale"

I don't want a Lenz Silver+ or Lenz standard+!!!!!!

I wasn't comparing this as a bargain to any other type of decoder!

I was stating a fact these are a bargain compared to what they normally sell for and even more so to me as these have certain functions that I want.

Or do I need to justify every single post now just so you don't jump in with the negative twist?

I have a few locos running with the Sapphire and they all run really smoothly, I actually wish Hornby had made the Sapphire mini, as I wanted to use them in N-gauge.

Cheers

Ian

Bloody hell Ron not again ;-)

There really was no need for that comment, the name of the thread gives it away "Hornby Black Friday Sale"..............

Sorry if I've upset you Ian.

My comment was not intended or worded as a snipe or put down, but simply to highlight the apparent "bargain" against the freely available, normal discount price of a couple of highly regarded and rated alternatives.

Of course, if you specifically only want a Sapphire, as opposed to any type of decoder, then it is indeed a bargain to you. Which is a good thing.

Hopefully you will be able to grab a bucketful at the reduced price.

I do agree with you that's it's a pity that other versions of the Sapphire, such as a mini or budget model, have not appeared.

Instead the reputation of Hornby decoders has been tainted by the current and previous poor budget offerings.

Finally succumbed and bought a railroad Flying Scotsman, not the bargain B1 etc that I got last year, however the right spec to repaint/renumber to the one I want, plus the odd coach.  Anyway, the Hornby web site asked for a mobile number for the  courier, but there didn't seem to be a field to enter this. No doubt the parcel will arrive ok, it  did last year.  Has anyone who has ordered from Hornby given their mobile number, if so how, and did it work with the courier delivery information?

• RMweb Gold

Excellent service from Hornby and interlink again, got my text to say it would be delivered today, the. One this morning telling me between 10:12 and 11:12 and low and behold at 10:13 a knock on the door and delivered

Ordered my Blue Rapier train set last week on Friday, came today courtesy of DPD. Must admit service from Hornby has been excellent. A shame the coupling arrangement on this doesn't match with the normal extra coaches, time to look for replacement bogies

NL

These discounts not very helpful when Hornby charges £25.00 to ship to Canada.

Perhaps Hornby can include the non-UK shipping rates in their' "Black Friday" promotion.

Pretty sure you get free international delivery on orders above £150 or something

Pretty sure you get free international delivery on orders above £150 or something

True and it's actually above 100 quid. Got my S15 that way just a couple of weeks ago, the added beauty is that it's shipped 2-day air for that "price". Can't argue with that.

If there were something I wanted in the Black Friday sale I'd have added enough to tip the 100 quid scale and qualify.

Well my Hornby and Airfix black friday buys arrived first thing this morning. Since I only ordered them at the end of the sale that's fine. Very large boxes for the small number of things I bought, well that's what I said to my wife who took them in from the delivery man.  :-)    Now to unpack....

For amusement only, here's a technique for  someone regularly buying trains mail order...

http://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2015/12/06

:-)

Ordered my Blue Rapier train set last week on Friday, came today courtesy of DPD. Must admit service from Hornby has been excellent. A shame the coupling arrangement on this doesn't match with the normal extra coaches, time to look for replacement bogies

NL

I think that the spare Rapier coaches are only intended for the Rapier, and the spare "main range" coaches only intended for the main range train. I seem to recall this has cropped up before, and the two are not interchangeable, as the coupling on the main range coach isn't on the bogie at all....?

Archived