Locomotion announce prototype HST

Andy Y

• 2 weeks later...

They had a stand at the York show showing the HST prototype, but they didn't have any information about the cost as yet, and they are hoping it will be available during 2017, but nothing more definite than that. I also asked about coaches, and they are speaking to the other manufacturers (Hornby and Oxford?) about having matching liveries for the HST, but again as yet nothing definite. I didn't ask about when orders can be put in, sorry.

They were giving people their APT-Es, pre-order and collect at the show I presume, and had one on show which did look very impressive, better 'in the flesh' than on photos I thought.

• RMweb Premium

You should be able to send them an email to reserve a Prototype HST set. I did and Sandra has put my name on the reservation list. May take her a few days to get back to you at the moment though.

They had a stand at the York show showing the HST prototype, but they didn't have any information about the cost as yet, and they are hoping it will be available during 2017, but nothing more definite than that. I also asked about coaches, and they are speaking to the other manufacturers (Hornby and Oxford?) about having matching liveries for the HST, but again as yet nothing definite. I didn't ask about when orders can be put in, sorry.

They were giving people their APT-Es, pre-order and collect at the show I presume, and had one on show which did look very impressive, better 'in the flesh' than on photos I thought.

Matching liveries is one thing, however the differences between prototype and production mk 3s are notable. I am not going to buy conventional mk3s painted in Prototype HST colours. The differences need to be tooled up for me please.

In the case of Hornby, I would prefer entirely new tooling to a modern standard.

I know many on here won’t agree with me but personally I’d rather see specially commissioned Hornby MK3 repaints than no coaches at all.

Also, if Rapido were to produce the correct prototype MK3’s, they would of course be highly detailed and probably be produced in limited numbers just to go with the power cars. I therefore think they would be prohibitively expensive for me, and many others I suspect, to buy a decent length rake along with the power cars.

• RMweb Gold

Matching liveries is one thing, however the differences between prototype and production mk 3s are notable. I am not going to buy conventional mk3s painted in Prototype HST colours. The differences need to be tooled up for me please.

In the case of Hornby, I would prefer entirely new tooling to a modern standard.

Am I missing something? I'd want replicas of the Project Miller coaches, which I am reliably informed are wrong anyway being repainted later MK3s ......

This was the reply from the facebook group.about the MK3s  :- 

They are loco hauled MK3s originally from the WCML fleet (although latterly used in Anglia) However the RFM was originally HST TRUK 40507.

Sounds like a minefield of MK3s !!! 

Depends on the era one is modelling. 

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

When will locomotion start taking orders and when is delivery planned.

You can preorder by sending Sandra an email saying you want to reserve one. Not an official order but she does list everyone that requests and then you get regular email updates as and when they are ready.

• 5 weeks later...

Month one since last post on these - that means one more month less to wait!

Thrilled at the prospect and can't wait to order.

Defo decided on a full set with the wrap round end RTC style - almost certainly get another couple of power cars so I can run in service mode too!

Hoping we might see some progress at Warley - can't believe that is now less than three months away!

You can preorder by sending Sandra an email saying you want to reserve one. Not an official order but she does list everyone that requests and then you get regular email updates as and when they are ready.

I emailed her, not sure if I should have expected a reply though but didn't.

Gary

I ordered a model via Locomotion last week so I took the opportunity to ask Sandra the question about the order books opening, she said hsdt is still a long way off with no further information available as yet.

Edited by srihaggis

I ordered a model via Locomotion last week so I took the opportunity to ask Sandra the question about the order books opening, she said hsdt is still a long way off with no further information available as yet.

Well it will be a year when Warley comes around again so hopefully there will at least be some news by then.

• RMweb Gold

Rapido issued a general update on 9 August explaining that production schedules had slipped due to longer than expected development times for APT-E and others. Also the factory has become too small for current and future production levels, so they were establishing agreements with a second factory. Sounds like HSDT will be a way off yet.

Fair play to Rapido. They are issuing enough information to keep people informed and confident that they are working as hard with HST as they did with APT whilst at the same time not issuing pointless announcements of future announcements.

Other manufacturers could do well to follow Rapido's lead there.

• 1 month later...

Fair play to Rapido. They are issuing enough information to keep people informed and confident that they are working as hard with HST as they did with APT whilst at the same time not issuing pointless announcements of future announcements.

Other manufacturers could do well to follow Rapido's lead there.

This has gone very quiet for a long time, wonder if they are still going to do it ?.

This has gone very quiet for a long time, wonder if they are still going to do it ?.

Both Rapido and Locomotion seem to have a good business ethic and so if it was cancelled I think they would have said so rather than keep us in the dark.

Plus the response to it has been pretty substantial, so given the business model they use I would be very surprised if they don't.

If my memory is correct then Locomotion / Rapido have at least 2 projects on the go

One is the HSDT prototype which I believe was announced at around the end 2015

If we take the APTE time frame as an example then the project could take 2 to 2.5 years.

The other project is still a mystery but I believe something will be available at the Warley Show.

I’m still hoping it will be a P Train

​Jason (Rapido) or Sandra (Locomotion) please correct me if I am wrong

John

Edit for reasons not even known to me I neglected to include the Stirling single, although it's only a steamer  :no:  :locomotive: 

As Ed-farms rightly points out below that makes 3 projects

Edited by John ks
  • Like 1