Revolution Trains - OO - TEA Tanker

Gerald Henriksen

Hi ND,

We can certainly produce TOPS panels that can be available to renumber wagons.  These are great because they can just be placed over the existing panel with no need for repainting, or removing lettering.

However, the the tiny repeater numbers next to the catwalk on top are more awkward as they are painted directly onto the barrel.  They are very small, but they are there. Adding these small repeater numbers to the decal sheets will significantly increase the cost of each sheet and of course mean the modeller has to remove the existing numbers before applying.

attachicon.gifBarrel repeater.jpg

What would people prefer?

cheers

Ben A.

Yes, I see the problem. Not only would we have to remove the numbers but there would be carrier film as well on the replacements, I assume. No problem, of course, for the filthy brigade – just for fans of pristine wagons. I’ve taken a look at the N scale wagons but, beautiful as they look, they aren’t much help in this regard. It’s also hard to get much of an idea of size from that close up. Naturally, what might pass muster in N might, or might not, in 00.

Having slept on it (isn’t that what afternoons are for?*) I think I might content myself with just removing the numbers so that they won’t conflict with the TOPS panel. I should be interested in other opinions too.

* Deliberate goading of Ben, who chases penguins by day and TEAs by night. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi srihaggis,

I don't think everyone will want to pay for the decals, so we will probably offer them as an add on, subject to minimum interest levels of course.

The good point about carrier film made me wonder whether people might not prefer rub-down transfers for these?

I imagine a decal sheet offering, say, 25 different TOPs panels would be about £5, but that is just a guess.

Cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for clarifying. I was a bit shocked when I read the initial post as I thought the models were being made on the basis of the number not being printed at all.

I'm not too fussed about buying any extra transfers personally, it's a nice touch for the purists though.

I’m hardly a purist – more of a number fetishist because, for me, one of the joys of modern modelling is that goods wagons now have their individual identities rather than having a train of wagons bearing identical running numbers. To a great extent, it was the provision for numbering which led me to order trainloads of the things.

Many folks prefer waterslide transfers because they can be adjusted before being allowed to dry and adhere. My own preference is for rub-down because they are quicker to fix in place and show no carrier film. I have some which have been in place for decades and show no sign of peeling.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

As well as yesterday's Revolution newsletter sent out to subscribers, Rapido have just published their latest Newsletter, with some photos and news about this model:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1101318906379&ca=8ff4e781-15b9-4202-a07e-ea1976431a09

We are sharing stand C31 with Rapido at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibtion this weekend and hope to have at least two samples, so please come and say hello.

Assuming the models pass our running tests we are expecting to sign this model off for production fairly soon.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

Surprised nobody has made mention of these yet. Dropped by to see the tank samples at warley earlier today; they look superb. Part of me is saying change to N after seeing the N versions rocking around that test loop!

They [00] are a lot heavier than I expected. Look forward to recieving them next year.

So now that things are settling down a bit after Warley I can give a few more details.

We announced the possibility of the N gauge tanks at the end of March 2015 and 8 months later at Warley we had the first painted samples.  As others previously mentioned we had done all the research so it seemed foolish not to scale it up to 4mm.  There are still a few errors to iron out but we are very pleased with the progress and the reaction at Warley seemed to be very positive.

We propose to offer the same options in 4mm that we offered in 2mm ie same choice of liveries and tank variants. We will offer a combination of single and triple packs subject to their being enough interest to make production minimums.

VTG red:

Single wagon: VTG 88115

TEA-VTG-red.jpg

Triple pack: VTG 88127, VTG 88133, VTG 88142

TEA-VTG-red-triple-1024x74.jpg

VTG grey:

Single wagon: VTG 88157

TEA-VTG-grey.jpg

Triple pack: VTG 88159, VTG 88163, VTG 88172

TEA-VTG-grey-triple.jpg

VTG blue:

Single wagon: VTG 88143

TEA-VTG-blue.jpg

VTG enviro-message blue - the VTG triple pack features three wagons bearing different environmental messages on the sides.

Triple pack: 8370 7792 001-0, 8370 7792 035-8, 8370 7792 043-2

TEA-VTG-enviro-triple-1024x74.jpg

Freightliner Green:

Single wagon: FLHH 871001

TEA-Freightliner.jpg

DB Schenker EWS grey:

Single wagon: EWS 870200

TEA-EWS-1024x221.jpg

Triple pack: EWS 870214, EWS 870289, EWS 870311

TEA-EWS-triple-1024x74.jpg

Greenergy blue / green - the Greenergy wagons are in two distinct liveries – either blue or green – in the proportions 2:1 so our pack will contain two differently numbered wagons in blue and the third in green:

Triple pack: 8370 7792 001-0, 8370 7792 019-2, 8370 7792 007-7

TEA-Greenergy-triple-1024x74.jpg

The real wagons run across large parts of the UK.

TEA_map.jpg

At this stage we estimate that the tanks will cost in the region of £35-40 each (though the more people order the cheaper we can get them for).  As with the N gauge wagons we will take expressions of interest and if we reach our target of 2000-2500 (we are well above that in N gauge so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem in 4mm) then we will start design and production. At this stage we don't want any money (or even commitments) just indications on our website that there is interest.  If we reach the level of interest we require then we will start the design work and open an order book.  Once the design is complete and tooling is in progress we will set a deadline for orders and produce what has been ordered.

More details: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/tea-wagon-project/

Expressions of interest: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/tea-wagon-project/00-tea-tank-wagon-project/

Cheers, Mike

the tanks used on the Sinfin run are different from the RevolutioN  TEAs

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

As promised here are some photos of the factory samples of the OO TEA. These will need to be tested and once we are sure they run OK we will authorise for production. Painted samples will be produced but they should be approved immediately since they only have to scale up the artwork from the N Gauge versions that have already been delivered.

Here are some general views:

post-420-0-95888500-1480372009_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-90806100-1480372020_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-43178300-1480372030_thumb.jpg

The etched platforms are very neat, and on the end, where you can see right through them, the effect is especially pleasing in my view...

post-420-0-10494600-1480372051_thumb.jpg

This image shows the brake gear and discharge taps for the EWS version. This has the longer air tank with the support frame and the bifurcated nozzles.

post-420-0-28130700-1480372040_thumb.jpg

This is a comparison between the EWS type (bottom) and the original VTG version (above) with the shorter air tank and single tap on each end of the discharge pipe.

post-420-0-67887900-1480372060_thumb.jpg

Everyone at Warley who picked up the models remarked on their weight; they have been set to NMRA guidelines as is Rapido's standard practice, and I think this is more than is normal for the British market. Although they are very free running, with brass axle bearings, it does occur to me that a prototypical length rake of around 30 would probably need something with the power of a Hornby 60 to pull it - rather like the prototype.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I'd really like to order x4 of the Tripple packs, i assume the disposit is taken now with the balance on delivery ?

What is the latest cut off for orders please.

We have not set a deadline for orders yet and will not until we have a production slot lined up.

The deposit is taken when you place the order and the balance is requested when we are ready to start production ie when the order book closes.

Cheers, Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Shoey,

A couple of the wagons have been under test on a 4mm layout belonging to a friend but MIke and I are meeting Jason and the design engineer during their visit to the UK next week and we are going to give them the wagons to thoroughly test in Canada - I anticipate they may well send us a video of this as they have with the Pendolino.

Once that is done we will look to progress the model to the next stage.

Cheers

Ben A.

• 1 month later...

When do you think you'll be asking for final payments for those who paid half.

I asked this very question at Model Rail Scotland yesterday and was told around the end of March 2017.  Hopefully we will be seeing these in the flesh in the summer.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The TEA tankers in 00 have now passed all their running tests and have been cleared for production.

The order book will be closing on March 31st, and we will only be manufacturing models ordered by that date. If you happen to know anyone not on RM Web who's after some please tell them if you think they would want to know.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 6