Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

dont think there is much wrong with my spidey senses regarding old models that leads me to over analyse the new model in less forgiving way.  yes they had the wrong roof vents if not used on HSTs but they weren't exactly "wrong".  I think for the time Lima got their Mk3s right including the liveries and the much debated lower greys.  I agree with many of the comments from those hanging fire with their orders or having bought some I can understand their frustrations. 

As for opening doors......hang on a minute.  let Oxford sort out the end steps that don't seem to want to stay attached to the coaches first!   Maybe once weve mastered that we can move onto retracting "p-tish" star trek style sliding internal doors between the vestibules and the seating areas.

Who will be the first to spot the use of Silver White?

Hmmm, fine, but it would actually be helpful to state where 'silver white' is being used?  As there is no mention of any other 'white' shade on the specification then it might be reasonable to presume that it is referring to the white used for the narrow white band (usually known as 'rail white' I believe?) 

There is also mention of 'light grey' which I would presume can only be referring to the light grey lower band, as I don't think there is a light grey of any kind used anywhere else within the scheme?  To my mind this again would suggest 'Executive light grey', as confirmed by others previously.

Sadly without clarification of exactly where 'silver white' is being used then this part diagram surely only adds to the confusion?

Oh dear, that's struck a chord.  It was just a flippant remark (in tiny writing to see how many were actually paying attention) but it has had the desired effect with you at least.  The question asked was about the colour of the stepboards nothing else however I knew fine well when I posted the paint reference table alongside, someone would spot the reference to Silver White. 

Is there a possibility Oxford Rail will in future do the current day HST Mk3 liveries especially in Virgin East Coast or will that still be Hornby's domain?

The reason I'm enquiring is because I've got the Locomotion Virgin HST set in Ltd. Edition NRM livery but don't have any coaches to match because I was too slow in getting them last year (other priorities as well) and now they are all sold out (Hornby simply didn't make enough) and I refuse to pay over £50 a coach on eBay or anywhere else for that matter for these Hornby Mk3's.

Anyway I hate to sell the HST set but if anyone knows if Oxford Rail have plans to expand their range in the near future thus any info or views will be greatly appreciated, I can't rely on Hornby unless they re-release the Virgin livery again which is probably unlikely.

Edited by classy52

Oxford have yet to announce Mk3 for HSTs (so far it's loco hauled stock). So the question would be Virgin plus HST type.

My HST in BR blue is also sitting dry waiting for hopefully Oxford to do BR blue ones. I have a couple of Hornby intercity ones (brought for old intercity HST now sold) and did recently buy one Hornby blue grey while I wait.

I know there's issues with the colour scheme, but in general how do they look behind a Bachmann 47? any pictures? For me this will be there main roll when I get them, and the Bachmann's are (lighter) white.

Could it be where the confusion of hst mk3's are coming from is if I remember in the expression of interest they listed the prototype hst (HSDT) colour scheme? hst thinking mk3's? well are they not mk3a's, they do have buffers,

No Ken, they were [A] Black Gloss - I'm glad you got yours in a bag.  The first one (an SO) I took out came out of the box with 4 fitted, ended with none.  Recovered three. None of them appeared to have been glued in.

​p.s. Has anyone a contact email address that actually works for Oxford Rail apart from the group address on the website? I've tried twice and don't seem to get a response.

attachicon.gifICSW_Stepboard.jpg  attachicon.gifICSW_3aFOSORef.jpg

​[Edit] Detail Reference Table added. Who will be the first to spot the use of Silver White?

The silver white refers to the colour of the ‘1’ between the droplight and the toilet window.

Oxford rail seem to have muddle up the swallow white as per DVT’s part locomotives and HST power cars, with Executive light Grey! 

Gosh Bob do you ever get any kip !  thought I was bad..........

Understand your comments re adding the full diagram, would appreciate if you confirm "what was applied where" on Swallow liveried coaches ......no quite clear from the part diagram.......

AFAIK

Black - Roof and ends/steps.....

Falcon Grey - upper body band

Exec Light Grey ?  lower body band  - or was this in fact Silver White on Swallow coaches also - I'm aware it was used on Swallow locos/HST's...........  

White Stripe - Rail White

Red Stripe - Claret ?  changed from the earlier Rail Red ?

TIA

Ken

Here you go Ken;

Roof, Ends & Modules  - Black Gloss (81-205) – Specified as Black (until 7/89)

Classfn. Band (1st Class) - Warning Yellow (81-202)

Classfn. Band (Rest) - Rail Red (81-204)

Window Band - Falcon Grey (81-246) – Specified as Dark grey (until 7/89) Note “Executive” was dropped from the colour name c6/86

Band (Top) - Silver White (81-240) – Specified as Rail White (until 7/89)

Band (Bottom) Rail Red – (81-204)

Lower Body & Classfn. Band (Std. Class) - Light Grey (81-200 ) Note “Executive” was dropped from the colour name c6/86

WN 1A - The "1" was Silver to match the INTERCITY branding supplied as 3M pressure-sensitive film. These ''1"'s are white on the OR model.  

​[Edited to add] From my own point of view the (executive) Light Grey is as too light as the Falcon grey is too black.  How they arrived at that I've no idea - it's not as white as Rail White or Silver White being somewhere in between that and the correct Light grey.  It certainly doesn't match anything that's gone by in previous years or how I remember the real thing.

Edited by Bob Reid

Bob

Many thanks for the detailed reply, it clears up all my queries, and will prove helpful if I decide to re-paint these OR coaches.  I just wonder if OX Rail will use the same Grey shades for their ScotRail versions ? hopefully not.

BTW some users on here really need to lighten-up a bit............... :yes:

Regards

Ken

I've had one sitting next to 47710 in ScotRail for the last week and no matter how many times I go back to looking at them, neither grey on the Mk3a gets any better so the airbrush will have to come out (I kind of expected that anyway)... Hopefully the ScotRail one's will be "improved" but I have my doubts at the moment.  Either way you look at it, these are still considerably cheaper than the Joueff + £15 for Laserglaze / flush windows route.  At circa £30+ paint & transfers I'll be more than happy.   It's just a pity they didn't get it right!

Edited by Bob Reid

Bob

Many thanks for the detailed reply, it clears up all my queries, and will prove helpful if I decide to re-paint these OR coaches.  I just wonder if OX Rail will use the same Grey shades for their ScotRail versions ? hopefully not.

BTW some users on here really need to lighten-up a bit............... :yes:

Regards

Ken

I have emailed Oxford Rail last weekend to ask them about the shade of Grey and whether they intend to use the same shade on the ScotRail coaches.  I also asked whether the central door locking feature will be included and whether or not the ScotRail ones will have the silver window surrounds.  Am hoping the answers are No, No and Yes.

Will update when I get a reply, failing that if they are at Glasgow again this year I can ask them there.

• RMweb Gold

I've had one sitting next to 47710 in ScotRail for the last week and no matter how many times I go back to looking at them, neither grey on the Mk3a gets any better so the airbrush will have to come out (I kind of expected that anyway)... Hopefully the ScotRail one's will be "improved" but I have my doubts at the moment. Either way you look at it, these are still considerably cheaper than the Joueff + £15 for Laserglaze / flush windows route. At circa £30+ paint & transfers I'll be more than happy. It's just a pity they didn't get it right!

I have wondered if it would be possible to just overspray the light grey with a tinted stain varnish? Any thoughts?

Roy

I've had one sitting next to 47710 in ScotRail for the last week and no matter how many times I go back to looking at them, neither grey on the Mk3a gets any better so the airbrush will have to come out (I kind of expected that anyway)... Hopefully the ScotRail one's will be "improved" but I have my doubts at the moment.  Either way you look at it, these are still considerably cheaper than the Joueff + £15 for Laserglaze / flush windows route.  At circa £30+ paint & transfers I'll be more than happy.   It's just a pity they didn't get it right!

Thanks, Sorry should have said the Intercity livery 47835 Windsor Castle and 47834 Fire Fly,

• RMweb Gold

I know there's issues with the colour scheme, but in general how do they look behind a Bachmann 47? any pictures? For me this will be there main roll when I get them, and the Bachmann's are (lighter) white.

Could it be where the confusion of hst mk3's are coming from is if I remember in the expression of interest they listed the prototype hst (HSDT) colour scheme? hst thinking mk3's? well are they not mk3a's, they do have buffers,

Here's the Oxford Mk3 coupled to the Bachmann Class 47 Fire Fly, 47834.

post-10765-0-35907700-1517593466_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure if its the angle of the picture but the gap between those vehicles seems huge?

Cheers

Simon

Replacing the supplied couplings with Kadee #18/19/ or 20's depending on the radius of the curves will reduce it, or the Roco/Hornby type of fixed coupling could also be used, these work well, especially if you plan to push the coaches as well as pulling them, with a DVT.

Some good ideas in this thread..

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/10826-4mm-coupling-tests/

Finally got some today, Great looking models well detailed and very pleased with them, I do have to agree about the steps, all were in the box but a few loose and do think Oxford need to address this.

I wouldn't say they should be moulded in the body as they would end up the same colour as the body and to pick them out in black would be harder than fixing them properly in the first place.

Those tension locks had to go, Kadee no18 fitted at one end and Marklin couplings for the rest, tested on a 2nd radius switchback (s curves) with no binding or buffer lock from the MK3A's and the 47 (Windsor Castle) fitted with Kadee no19 pushed them through with no issues, this is the closest you can get I swapped out the 19 for an 18 and got buffer lock.

Couple of pictures, Windsor Castle with Kadee no19 and MK3A with Kadee no18 and both MK3A's with Marklin coupling,

post-28965-0-18158700-1517671364_thumb.jpg

post-28965-0-36765000-1517671381_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Finally got some today, Great looking models well detailed and very pleased with them, I do have to agree about the steps, all were in the box but a few loose and do think Oxford need to address this.

I wouldn't say they should be moulded in the body as they would end up the same colour as the body and to pick them out in black would be harder than fixing them properly in the first place.

Those tension locks had to go, Kadee no18 fitted at one end and Marklin couplings for the rest, tested on a 2nd radius switchback (s curves) with no binding or buffer lock from the MK3A's and the 47 (Windsor Castle) fitted with Kadee no19 pushed them through with no issues, this is the closest you can get I swapped out the 19 for an 18 and got buffer lock.

Couple of pictures, Windsor Castle with Kadee no19 and MK3A with Kadee no18 and both MK3A's with Marklin coupling,

attachicon.gif47 & mk3A Kadee couplings.jpg

attachicon.gifOxford Rail with Marklin couplings.jpg

That looks a pretty good match for the dark grey between the Bachmann 47 and the Oxford Mk3A. hmmmm I didn't expect that and think I'm going to need to look at those coaches in different light conditions

That looks a pretty good match for the dark grey between the Bachmann 47 and the Oxford Mk3A. hmmmm I didn't expect that and think I'm going to need to look at those coaches in different light conditions

Will be honest it's not the best picture, but the bachy is a little bit lighter, not by much, I know it's been mentioned earlier the red stripe is a bit too wide, what does throw you is the bachy is a matt finish  where the oxfords are not glossy but a richer slight shine to them, sounds a bit contradictive but when you see them in the flesh (so to speak) you can see it.

Not sure if its the angle of the picture but the gap between those vehicles seems huge?

Cheers

Simon

Yeah pretty huge, there's no close-coupling here, but since the NEM socket is mounted on the body rather than the bogie, should be a pretty easy home modification to bring them closer together.

Did you repaint the TSO? The colours almost look right on it or is it just the light?

Nope, that's how it comes out of the box.

I was actually deliberately lining up the angle of the shot to experiment with the light, if you invert them the FO looks equally beige.

I'm still sure it's a touch too grey in most light, but it's a lot better than Hornby's Tan Camry color.

Just a bit of an off the wall question but has Oxford made any allusions towards doing the Mk3 sleepers at some point? 

I don't know enough about the real thing to know whether the modules are different to the Mk3a day coach (or whether they could be 're-cycled' under a sleeper).

I'm sure with the variety of liveries there have been pre- and post-privatisation, there must be a broad enough range to justify the model. 

Anyone else agree? 

Cheers,

Michael

attachicon.gif47 & mk3A Kadee couplings.jpg

attachicon.gifOxford Rail with Marklin couplings.jpg

Thanks for that, I guess the photos with the 47 illustrates that the light grey on some locos in InterCity Swallow livery.

Would be interested to see one of the coaches next to an Intercity Executive or ScotRail livery 47.

Light made a lot of difference even on the 12" to the foot model. I think it might be prudent for me to start a separate topic today on the whole aspect of that particular livery up to the "Swallow" years rather than clutter up this one - for no other reason than we've all (I think)! decided that the OR Mk3a's first issue livery is either darker / lighter, right/wrong!  If the soon? to be released ScotRail Mk3a's don't match this years model of the 47/7 and the soon to be released 2f DBSO I feel there'll be a lot of paint and new transfers involved.