PECO Announces Bullhead Track for OO

Free At Last

• RMweb Premium

Well, are model railway locomotives not 'objects' that are providing enjoyment for adults?  I don't see why a 00 locomotive is any less of a 'toy' than a games console or any other 'gadget' or 'machine' that can be regarded as meeting that particular definition.  All the above definition highlights is that it's not just children who play with 'toys', which is the very point I was making.

I suppose my model railway things are toys as much as my PS4, or my TV

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

All NFL players tested were affected.

How would they know? Seems to me that you have to have an already poorly functioning brain to want to play gridiron.

That said, a college-level gridiron friend of mine would not play rugby as he thought it much too dangerous without all the padding and helmets. Pity, he would have been a great asset to our team so long as he remembered not to pass the ball forward.

Didn't I hear last week that the pansy-ass politico's want to ban scrums?  Oldham Rugby supporters of old would turn in their graves. What next, ban on lobbing balls at batsmen....  

To keep it on topic, Peco are on the ball.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Just spoke to Dave at Gas Cupboard Models in Trowvegas. Same as others have said SRP of £32:50 (I guessed at £35) and release date in October but no definite date. Darn sight cheaper than a C&L kit @ £48 (if my memory serves me correctly).

For me at that price I will be burning my fingers & stickin' & gluin' my turnouts.

Just spoke to Dave at Gas Cupboard Models in Trowvegas. Same as others have said SRP of £32:50 (I guessed at £35) and release date in October but no definite date. Darn sight cheaper than a C&L kit @ £48 (if my memory serves me correctly).

For me at that price I will be burning my fingers & stickin' & gluin' my turnouts.

Tim

The cost of C&L kits with pre-formed parts is still dearer, but if you preform the parts yourself and use the components, from memory using the Exactoscale parts equivalent the their kits come out well under £20. Certainly for those who for what ever reason prefer not to build their own, a cheaper alternative and what seems to be a much better looking alternative to H0 products, now how about a modern image 4 mm scale turnout in 00 gauge  :jester:  Seriously, a first class result for 00 gauge modellers and you never know if it catches on additional products may follow and prices could drop

Hi,

I was told today ( by a Peco dealer )that the SRP will be £32.50 which should mean they could sell at about £29 with usual dealer discount. He also added that Peco are preparing a decent quantity for sale before releasing them  to avoid a situation where shops get the first stocks and then run out quickly. Maybe Peco have read this thread and realised they are going to sell well. The last thing anybody needs is inflated prices on Ebay after a limited initial release.

Rob

• Like 1

Some of the big mail order companies are not even listing the points let alone taking pre-orders..a bit odd so far to find a supplier, I have to rely on mail order as house bound. One supplier wanted to charge now for the goods before supply!

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

The Hobby shop in Faversham, have announced the pricing of the new bullhead point at an srp of £32.50

wasnt far out with my guess of a similar price as the O gauge ones? ;) - they should be a bit less at the discounters- maybe down to £25 a point by the biggies, when the novelty has worn off?

- its twice or more the price of a normal code 75/100 - so who's gonna go for them and who says they are too dear? 

- and who's still going to build their own  :scratchhead:

Edited by Russ (mines a pint)
  • Like 1

Hi,

Any bets on Peco producing flat bottom turnouts to the improved standard of the new BH one's ? There are a lot of modellers making layouts with FB that would welcome this.

Rob

I think this will be unlikely. BH is very different to their existing FB range. Adjusting the webbing will provide less difference for nearly as much cost.

I am wrong in thinking FB pointwork became common after FB plain track, so using BH pointwork with FB track should be suitable for many modellers.

• RMweb Gold

I am wrong in thinking FB pointwork became common after FB plain track, so using BH pointwork with FB track should be suitable for many modellers.

no - I think plenty bullhead points still exist in flatbottom track- probably anywhere there hasnt been a re-modelling or linespeed type improvement, ie lots of  places 

Edited by Russ (mines a pint)

• RMweb Premium

Tim

The cost of C&L kits with pre-formed parts is still dearer, but if you preform the parts yourself and use the components, from memory using the Exactoscale parts equivalent the their kits come out well under £20. Certainly for those who for what ever reason prefer not to build their own, a cheaper alternative and what seems to be a much better looking alternative to H0 products, now how about a modern image 4 mm scale turnout in 00 gauge :jester: Seriously, a first class result for 00 gauge modellers and you never know if it catches on additional products may follow and prices could drop

Cheers, I've got all the bits (heavily discounted in the EMGS online shop), so don't buy the kits (although my first build was) and still 'roll my own' turnouts.

wasnt far out with my guess of a similar price as the O gauge ones? ;) - they should be a bit less at the discounters- maybe down to £25 a point by the biggies, when the novelty has worn off?

- its twice or more the price of a normal code 75/100 - so who's gonna go for them and who says they are too dear? 

- and who's still going to build there own  :scratchhead:

Building my own , one point type hardly maketh the layout

Yes flat bottom plain line probably was about for a few years before the S&C, although as I have seen LMS 113lb flat bottom S&C the delay was short.

Mixtures with S&C and plain line of different types were common, and it could be either way round depending on the relaying history. There are/were even a few units of S&C where for geometrical reasons in tight spaces abutting other existing S&C that was not to be relayed the rail type changed part way down the unit. Bullhead crossing with flat bottom switches sort of thing although such were rare.

As the great majority of relaying has now been in flat bottom material for decades the number of sites where the plain line and S&C are in the two different sections is much less than it was, I would guess the peak for that sort of thing was probably the later 1960's, with BH - BH getting more common as you go back in time from then, and FB - FB becoming more common as you move towards the present day.