PECO Announces Bullhead Track for OO

Free At Last

I see from the Peco notification today that the stock and blade rails are ready bonded, something I hadn't picked up on before. This is a step forward for Peco, and will make for reliant current passage rather than relying on wiper contacts as up to now in the Streamline ranges.

• RMweb Premium

I see from the Peco notification today that the stock and blade rails are ready bonded, something I hadn't picked up on before. This is a step forward for Peco, and will make for reliant current passage rather than relying on wiper contacts as up to now in the Streamline ranges.

I wrote

They won't sell, non prototype gauge, check rails too short, blades not tapered, crossing angle all wrong, don't have to make them, open the box and they work, commercial point motors fit them, no PCB to cut and I bet they will be reliable. Won't sell.

I now have to list bonded stock rails and blades to my list of why they won't sell.......not more potential reliability, where's the fun in that. They won't sell.

Serious head on for a few seconds. It has been commented on the fact Peco have only produced one type of point. When Peco start a new range they normally start with one type of point and expand the range, I am confident in a few years there will be a wider selection of suitable points and crossings. It was less than two years ago we were told by the handbuilding track experts that better looking 00 would never be made and never sell.

I hope before I die that flatbottom track with one of the pre Pandrol clip fastenings on wooden sleepers is produced, check photos of mainline trains in the 1950s and what they are running on.

• RMweb Gold
As the great majority of relaying has now been in flat bottom material for decades the number of sites where the plain line and S&C are in the two different sections is much less than it was, I would guess the peak for that sort of thing was probably the later 1960's, with BH - BH getting more common as you go back in time from then, and FB - FB becoming more common as you move towards the present day.

Except in Mallaig, and some other places where FB is relatively uncommon (aka non -existant)  even now  ;)

http://abcrailwayguide.uk/images/stations/MLG/mlg-mallaig-10202-1200.jpg

• RMweb Gold

It will sell - but...
will it sell to trackbuilders - or those who think we should drop OO in favour of something more prototypical

will it sell to those happy with setrack/streamline - particularly those with large layouts 

NO -possibly not but the increase in quality of loco and stock has meant that over the years ready to plonk track has been the poor relation, the cost of a modern steam or diesel loco has increased, mass produced ready to plonk buildings have too its time for the track to have its day now. It'll massively boost the efforts of those that want to but dont have the time/inclination. provide time savings for those who have the inclination but not the time. 

Its a great step forward and hope it proves successful for a broader range and general trickle down improvement of our hobby, over the years to come. 

Edited by Russ (mines a pint)

Any less and the whole thing would be rather pointless...

That's what I get told by one of my friends;

I always wanted to model a prototype. My favourite locos are Duchesses & AC electrics so that would be WCML then :stinker:

South Hampstead seems to do nicely...a short section between Primrose Hill tunnels & Loundon Road bridge. Unfortunately this is 6 tracks with 2 over/across for the GC with no pointwork....It does have 36 points in the fiddle yard though.

For a while I kept hearing  "Why don''t you fit in a goods siding or something". It wouldn't be South Hampstead then would it!

I will also build a small shunting layout...that will have some bullhead rail & pointwork.

Edited by Pete the Elaner

I now have to list bonded stock rails and blades to my list of why they won't sell.......not more potential reliability, where's the fun in that. They won't sell.

Quite right too. I'm entirely happy with my Tri-ang Standard Track. I can't understand what all the fuss is about ;)

• Like 1

Clive,

If you are going to make statements like that, please back them up with who said that and when they said it, otherwise........

Andy

Andy 

I thought it was those who wanted RTR track saying no one would pay £30 for a turnout, seems there is still a bit of friction against those who like making things !!! As for they would never sell I can think of 3 other projects mentioned on here plus another from someone who does not use this site, though DCC Concepts seems to have gone quiet on their proposals

Sorry but leaving aside the question of gauge, it's still only a passing resemblance to the real thing, with only the rail possibly being of correct section but I wouldn't hold my breath on that either given what they did in 0 gauge. However, I suppose it's better than what went before. 

Sorry but leaving aside the question of gauge, it's still only a passing resemblance to the real thing, with only the rail possibly being of correct section but I wouldn't hold my breath on that either given what they did in 0 gauge. However, I suppose it's better than what went before. 

Are you looking at the bullhead track or the FB points? 

Clearly Peco should hang their collective head in shame for having foisted such unrealistic products on the world's railway modellers for so long.Without it they would surely all be building their own track to P4 (or P87) standards. (irony mode off)

I was looking at some newly laid track on my local line a few months ago and it struck me that that it too bore only a passing resemblance to what I think the real thing looks like- not least because the rail section seemed far too heavy. Fortunately, further down the line, there is still a bullhead double junction and that does look fairly realistic.

Clearly Peco should hang their collective head in shame for having foisted such unrealistic products on the world's railway modellers for so long.Without it they would surely all be building their own track to P4 (or P87) standards. (irony mode off)

Surely it is the other way; generations of layout builders should hang their heads in shame for buying such products for years!

Mark Saunders

Err, just a turn of phrase but of course they can't get the Flat-bottom version right either.

• RMweb Gold

The last layout I was able to build used a mixture of Triang series three and Super Four!

In the to use pile is a large amount of SMP and assorted built up point kits purchased from a friend who moved to EM.

Mark Saunders

I have 'miles' of pre aqcuired EM and OO bh trackbase (mixture of exactoscale and C&L) so its unlikely I'll be buying any peco track soon. 

tend to do copperclad pointwork or re work and resleeper normal code 75, though looking back at coachmanns layout I'm not sure why I bother as the results look ok without?

- neither copperclad handbuilt or reworking peco gives 'proper' track but it's an acceptable compromise to me, .  I have 4 code 75 points still and a lifetimes supply of copperclad and rail, if the points look really good and had been nearer the £20 mark I might have been tempted in the name of time-saving and convenience, but for the time being I think i'll just keep going the same way I always have.