Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

That car looks like a real labour of love, Ken.

I can't recall seeing any RR wheels listed by Gibson or Romford.

You might be able to talk Ultrascale into making a set.

:jester:

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox

Hi Scott.  That car almost a metre long, that loco by it is a 7mm scale model.  It would definitely be a scratch build of five wheels, that's why those awful wheels were used. Still my sister-in-law is happy I've restored it for her.

Changed my mind about the next build. It's now a Gladiator LMS 7F Austin Seven. Started with the tender today and has gone together very quickly.

Doing it in my usual method of preparing all the parts and adding a lot the detail first. That allows quick assembly with the soldering iron.

Here it is so far.

post-150-0-68061100-1522515810_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-42425000-1522515846_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-13401300-1522515870_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi. Just about finished the tender, sadly had to pack up early today, the boss wanted 6 bushes pruning so unable to fit the couplings and buffers. (Have to keep her happy don't you know)

Here is the tender all now waiting to have a good clean up.

post-150-0-15560200-1522595427_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-76223900-1522595457_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi. A good start on the assembly of chassis today. Everything fitted as it should with the minimum of fuss. Yesterday afternoon was spent prepping all the parts so that speeded up the assembly.

I am using my normal springing of the leading three axles with the exception of the front one that will only have movement downwards.

post-150-0-95499400-1522769422_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 5

:O  Your "waiting for a good clean up" looks cleaner than mine do after I'm finished cleaning...  

Ha, there is solder showing in a few places and I like to get it a clean as a whistle.

Hi. This morning has a rolling chassis. No problems with the build at all. It needed very little fettling to get the slot and tabs to mate up. Hope the body goes as well as the chassis has.

post-150-0-51190500-1522846381_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-26450600-1522846409_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi. A very good day assembling the body.  Yesterdays work preparing the etches paid off.  I'm amazed at how ell this particular kit is going together. Even the pre rolled boiler was a perfect fit to the front and rear end disks.  I did make it a bit difficult for myself by choosing not to anneal the firebox. (I dislike the discolouration it causes).  It took a while to bend the wrapper correctly. The boiler/smokebox tube is bolted on and can be removed to detail it.

Onwards tomorrow.

post-150-0-55680000-1522942085_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-78852500-1522942111_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 8

It's a nice kit Ken, typical of Gladiator.

I built one 10-12 years ago.

John K

Hi John. I agree, Gladiato kits are very good. This one is probably the best of the range I've built.

Hi. not much done on the WB today. Out enjoying the beautiful sunshine walking on the prom. Made a lovely change from the dull cloud and rain.

Here she is, hoping to get her finished Sunday if all goes to plan.

post-150-0-23333400-1523044745_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-10794800-1523045027_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 7

Great work as usual Ken, I do like this class of loco so much so I almost feel like jumping ship from the GWR....

What sort of radius will the loco be able to cope with ?

Martyn.

Hi Martyn. That would depend on the amount of side play you are happy with. In this case the chassis built straight from the box I'm looking at just about  5' 6" radius. (Certainly more than enough to coupe with Peco turnouts with is my usual bench mark.)  

If you require more side play than straight from the box by shaving off the axle bushes you would then need to address the lost wax combined brake blocks/hanger and mounts to clear the rods. 

Hi.  Almost there now. Cab interior to detail, buffers and left hand injectors and pipework. Then should be ready for the wash and primer.

I wish all kits were like this one. (Some come very close though).

post-150-0-44001300-1523123649_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

What's the cab detail like

Basically standard stuff, backhead with usual detail, seats, toolbox with reverser mounted on top and pressure gauge.

• Like 1