Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi again.  Finally back at the WB after the break in Florida.  The past few days finishing off the tender and getting the loco chassis running. The tender was a doddle, previous posts show the build in progress so there was no need to repeat it now.

The same ting with the chassis, they are all basically the same from the Gladiator/Javelin/David Andrews stable. Any questions will be gladly answer though.

Now preparing the loco body.

post-150-0-88927800-1516719537_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-34142800-1516719565_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-97821400-1516719582_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi. The body is well under way now. Footplate was quite easy including the cab. Firebox was the typical Gladiator/David Andrews style  with from and rear plate joined by turned brass rods. These are removed once the wrapper is annealed and formed around the end plates. Not too difficult when the wrapper is annealed as it's quite soft and can be done with your fingers and a suitable steel rod.

The firebox, again annealed but does requite rolling bars to do a satisfactory job.

Then comes the boiler. All was going well until trying to assemble to the sections together. It all did not line up and much filing and bodging with shims was required to get the whole thing level along the bottom. (Nothing like a level bottom :sungum: )

Any way all well for now.

post-150-0-13207400-1516818644_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hi. The body is well under way now. Footplate was quite easy including the cab. Firebox was the typical Gladiator/David Andrews style  with from and rear plate joined by turned brass rods. These are removed once the wrapper is annealed and formed around the end plates. Not too difficult when the wrapper is annealed as it's quite soft and can be done with your fingers and a suitable steel rod.

The firebox, again annealed but does requite rolling bars to do a satisfactory job.

Then comes the boiler. All was going well until trying to assemble to the sections together. It all did not line up and much filing and bodging with shims was required to get the whole thing level along the bottom. (Nothing like a level bottom :sungum: )

Any way all well for now.

attachicon.gifblack 5 d - 1.jpg

The boiler looks superb, especially given all the problems described! Nicely done!

Hi Ken,

Very nice as usual.

I had the same problem with the Javelin long firebox/wheelbase Ivatt Black 5. Must be a common problem with this "family of kits. Apart from that though, they are nice kits to build.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter. I was thinking it was me. Looks like it a design fault with that kit.  I also have a short firebox Javelin Black 5 to do next. I wonder if I will have the same issues?

• Like 1

Hi Peter. I was thinking it was me. Looks like it a design fault with that kit.  I also have a short firebox Javelin Black 5 to do next. I wonder if I will have the same issues?

I'll be interested in that Black 5 build as I have the same kit sitting on the shelf. (Or rather, stored in a box somewhere; I have a house to finish renovating before I can get anywhere near to building it, or anything else though!!)

Regards, Deano.

Hi Ken,

Very nice as usual.

I had the same problem with the Javelin long firebox/wheelbase Ivatt Black 5. Must be a common problem with this "family of kits. Apart from that though, they are nice kits to build.

Cheers,

Peter

I'm building the LFB version at the moment.

It took a bit of fiddling to get it all to line up properly, but I'm not sure it's a design fault. I think it's the summation of small  building errors across some largish assemblies.

John

post-8675-0-56564700-1516957873_thumb.jpg

Edited by John K
  • Like 4

Hi. Not a lot left to do now. Hopefully the detailing will be completed tomorrow. Except for the boiler all went quite well.

I do not think it was Johns suggestion it was summation of small building errors. The smokebox and firebox was spot  on, the boiler when soldered up with the end plates in the etched grooves and placed on the glass plate the ends were way off vertical. So no hope of the unit being level and correct when placed on the flat surface.  (It was 1.75mm off at each end.)

post-150-0-14290500-1516999770_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 7

Hi. Not a lot left to do now. Hopefully the detailing will be completed tomorrow. Except for the boiler all went quite well.

I do not think it was Johns suggestion it was summation of small building errors. The smokebox and firebox was spot  on, the boiler when soldered up with the end plates in the etched grooves and placed on the glass plate the ends were way off vertical. So no hope of the unit being level and correct when placed on the flat surface.  (It was 1.75mm off at each end.)

attachicon.gifblack 5 f - 1.jpg

Hi Ken,

Yes I agree. I found exactly the same thing and as you point out, quite a bit of filing of the boiler is required to correct it.

Great work as always.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi. Right it's away with the SFB Black 5. Starting with the Gladiator tender (Identical to build as the Javelin one).  I always add the detail before assembling when its far easier to when soldering from the rear. (Almost every kit would have you adding the detail after assembly.)

Here is todays work on it.

post-150-0-94689800-1517507789_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-21840400-1517507811_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hi.  A bit more done today.  All went well, the sides were quite straightforward. Just careful marking out and bending in the Metalsmith folding bars.

The coal Shute and fire iron tunnel required a bit filing and light cutting to get it all to fit well.  Note a bit of filler on the tunnel at the rear end. (A bit too much was removed, my mistake)

post-150-0-08121500-1517594167_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-73764800-1517594184_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 8

Hi. Tender is now completed. (Sorry about the poor quality of the photos, very poor light here due to heavy rain) Below the footplate level was a doddle. Everything was a good fit. Again the job made easier by completing almost all the detail before attach to the model.  That white metal axle boxes/springs were the last to be attached though.  

So that's the easy part done.

Tomorrow, the loco chassis, that will be more of a challenge and slower to build.

post-150-0-46922400-1517674773_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-21403500-1517674804_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-25165800-1517674820_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi. The chassis is under way. As usual most of the detail was soldered on prior to assembly. The centre axle is sprung in the usual way.  The rear axle has no etched marks for the plunger pickups so careful marking and drilling is required. Making sure they will not foul the motor that sits on the rear axle.

post-150-0-55255500-1517761641_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Everything has ground to a halt. My new Antex TCS 50w iron has failed. Now awaiting a replacement. So frustrating :banghead:

Hi Ken,

I have alway been an Antex user as the first one finally died after over 20 years of service, so I then brought the latest solder station from them expecting the same sort of longevity. This ( expensive ) one last just two years !! The chap at Antex was very sympathetic and offered a discount but on further investigation I found out they are now being made in China !

So that's the end of that for me as they were originally British made, just thought I'd bring this to your attention.

Regards,

Martyn.

Hi Guys,

My wife noticed Lidl's have a solder station on offer at the moment for just £9, obviously fairly basic with no digital read out and only a dial to adjust the temp but it does comes with a 3 year guarantee.

Martyn.