Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi.  Due to todays heatwave (4 deg) I made headway painting the bulldog. Well, did the primer and painted the chassis black anyway. So the Pug has been put to one side.

• Like 2

sorry Grahame, didn't do this, problem with the company computers putting attachments onto webpages.  Will send it from home as soon as I can

best

Simon

Very much appreciated Simon, no rush.

Kind regards

Grahame

Hi.  Now got the painting all but done. I have the plates arriving next week and will add the insignia, crew and coal then.

post-150-0-02939700-1520605218_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-19027000-1520605245_thumb.jpg

Attention now back to the pug.

• Like 9

Am I allowed to drool before commenting please ?

One of my most favourite Great Western locomotives and a will be going on my short list to purchase in the future.

Lovely work Jazz.

Grahame

• RMweb Premium

Hi. Due to todays heatwave (4 deg) I made headway painting the bulldog. Well, did the primer and painted the chassis black anyway. So the Pug has been put to one side.

Joking aside, in the positively sweaty 7 the other day I got impatent and primed something from a half full rattle can and ended up stripping it off again (splattery and a bit thick (the paint, not me)). Does the air temp actually make much difference or is it more likely just time to get a new can?

Joking aside, in the positively sweaty 7 the other day I got impatent and primed something from a half full rattle can and ended up stripping it off again (splattery and a bit thick (the paint, not me)). Does the air temp actually make much difference or is it more likely just time to get a new can?

Can I ask did you spray in a warm environment and also warm the can up too ?

It can lead to the paint picking up damp in the air if its present and leave a less than satisfactory finish. Guess how I know, never again or wait until a warmer dryer day.

I also tend to buy a fresh can if its something rather special. There are other factors but I though I would ask the obvious ones first.

Grahame

Edited by bgman

Looks very nice Ken,

What radius will it manage?

And what will it pull?

Best

Simon

It can pull me anyday Simon !

I.W.Ish

Further Grahame's post there is no problem spraying in cold weather.

As I mentioned earlier I do all mine in the garage and that get pretty cold.  So I stand the paint can in hot water while I set up the spray table with the spray booth.  By then the paint is then ready.  I use a hair dryer to warm the model (the wife does not complain about the amount of spray that is on it). You have to keep an eye on how warm you get the model though, way in the past some white metal parts became unsoldered.

I avoided spraying in cold and rainy days for colour and only spray varnish when the weather is dry and low humidity, it usually with turn white.

I always place the painted model straight into the airing cupboard over night too.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 2

Looks very nice Ken,

What radius will it manage?

And what will it pull?

Best

Simon

Hi Simon.  It is not ready for running on the layout just yet as it have no pickups on the loco, just the tender.  I am waiting to permanently couple the two together.

However I have loosened the motors grub screw and pushed the loco & tender though the Peco crossover points. The bogie is dangerously close to the frames and valance but will go though. So playing safe, I have ordered the recommended smaller diameter wheels which will give plenty of clearance. 

What it will pull, well it weighs quite a bit and the dukedog performs very well. How many  coaches it would actually cope with I Cannot say as I only have a 19' run and two 6 wheel coaches. I can add a few wagons with no slipping.

A friend of mine that I built one for was pulling five bogie coaches with no problems on his extensive layout.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys. Sun was out, warm conservatory (I held my breath and opened the door afterwards) can and model had both been on the radiator!

Suspect a duff can so will get a fresh one - never convinced they are as good after the first use but didn’t want to risk again until warmer after the last attempt!

Thanks Ken

I did have some issues with mine but it now pulls five bogie coaches up 1 in 100 on a gentle curve without issues, and a few more on the flat, which is probably pretty much what the real ones could do

The bogie wheels mattered to me (why??? :)) so I stuck with 3’8”. It took a bit of fiddling but she’ll do the peco crossover which I was pleased about.

Best

Simon

• Like 2

Ken

Please indulge me

Grahame

Herewith the dukedog in S7 on a curve - this was plotted in Templot for DogStar on WT - it is effectively a section through the wheels at rail top height, but to simplify, there’s no tread coming, and the flanges have no fillet radii, they are assumed to be square edged

Herewith link to thread http://westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/sorting-the-side-play-to-get-a-loco-round-a-minimum-curve.5919/#post-148596

Both these assumptions make the diagram marginally worse than the reality would be

Hope it’s of interest

Simon

post-20369-0-04608900-1520626169_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Simond

Hi Simon. It may be that the 3' 8" will be OK on my crossovers (they are the only curves my stock has to negotiate).  At least I will have the 3' 3" at hand if needed.

Hi The pug is well underway. I have the BR lettering and works plates to add. The brass window spectacle rims, crew and coal. Plus it is to be made quite well weathered. It was a time consuming little loco especially as it's so small a prototype. Also there is the cab interior to paint.

post-150-0-88602600-1520957574_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-44176000-1520957711_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 11

Hi The pug is well underway. I have the BR lettering and works plates to add. The brass window spectacle rims, crew and coal. Plus it is to be made quite well weathered. It was a time consuming little loco especially as it's so small a prototype. Also there is the cab interior to paint.

Hi Ken,

Very nice as always, but time consuming?

Started on the 2nd March and almost done and dusted on the 13th!

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1

Thanks Ken

I did have some issues with mine but it now pulls five bogie coaches up 1 in 100 on a gentle curve without issues, and a few more on the flat, which is probably pretty much what the real ones could do

The bogie wheels mattered to me (why??? :)) so I stuck with 3’8”. It took a bit of fiddling but she’ll do the peco crossover which I was pleased about.

Best

Simon

I also stuck with full size bogie wheels and it seems to have worked out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzDIrmlRCHc

No way 5 coaches is possible although I have not altered weight over drivers yet.  For a DNS look two is enough.

I keep meaning to make a piece of track on a support that would allow me fit the digital kitchen scale in so I can do axle weights, but it’s another “round tuit” job.

Mine weighs a few hundred grams, with soft springs on the rear axle, hard springs on the leading drivers, and a rigid bogie pivot. It’s balanced so with no bogie fitted, it just see-saws on the drivers, the weight of the bogie keeps the front down!

Best

Simon

Bit of a highjack, but partially solved my issue.

Turns out i hadn't tightened rear chassis to body screw so front was dropping down taking weight off rear driver.

I don't have more bogie coaches to test it but it now handles two easily even in reverse.

Could do with a bit more weight in firebox i think.

Back to you Ken.....

Hi Hada pleasant week on the Isle of Wight. Enjoyed the IOW heritage railway and a two hour cruise around the naval base. Up close to the new aircraft carrier as well. All very nice.

However here is an unusual job across the WB, a very large scale wood model of a Silver Ghost. (One of my 7mm locos alongside to give an idea of the scale.)  This belongs to my sister-in-law and see asked be to do some much needed repairs to it. Built 35 years ago by her father-in-law it had suffered in a few house moves and being stored in an attic for the past 20 odd years.

The radiator was made my the apprentices at Rolls Royce and is a beautiful work of art. It's a shame the wheels are totally incorrect but I guess he did not fancy scratch building them.

The leather seats were hand stitched by his wife.

post-150-0-61925200-1522157150_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-90067800-1522157198_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi. Spent best part of this week building the Eric Underhill GWR 850 class pannier. Quite a straight forward build as the major parts were resin castings and very small amount of etched parts. The chassis was super simple as well, two heavy brass frames and screw on pair of brass frame spacers. So all told a quick build. Awaiting a suitable day to varnish my Bulldog, Pug and the 850. Then coal up and add footplate crew and ready for the summer schedules on Trenruth.

post-150-0-60480500-1522411225_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-19174100-1522411254_thumb.jpg

Now it's back to building for others. Probably will choose the JLTRT Ex MR 2F and tender. 

Edited by jazz
  • Like 1