Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Thanks for the compliments guys, always appreciated.

Hi Peter. What's next you ask. Well I have a selection here and looking at either the DJH BR Standard 'CLAN' class 6 or the JLTRT Ex MR class 2

0-6-0 tender loco.  A decision to be made when the 7F passes it trial runs when reassembled.

Edited by jazz

Decision made, it's to be the JLTRT Ex MR 2F tender loco.

The trial runs on the layout a success, you're probably tired of looking at it now, but here is the last (promise) of the 7F  photos.

post-150-0-18072200-1523356056_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-23381900-1523356074_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Looks really good Ken, but it didn't actually challenge you did it? :no:

I look forward the DJH Clan (mini Brit) - I looked it up. I hadn't realised how expensive the kit is.

I'm sure it won't trouble you much, but it should keep you busy for more than 3 days!

Best,

John

Looks really good Ken, but it didn't actually challenge you did it? :no:

I look forward the DJH Clan (mini Brit) - I looked it up. I hadn't realised how expensive the kit is.

I'm sure it won't trouble you much, but it should keep you busy for more than 3 days!

Best,

John

Hi John, I guess it was not much of a challenge at that.  The clan will, as you say, be a bit different.

Hi. yesterday afternoon I started the JLTRT Ex Midland 2F.  The tender required only the chassis to solder up as the body is a complete resin casting and the whole just need the castings and detailing adding. Unfortunately the kit had been put together in a slap happy way with twelve tender springs and six axle boxes which all did not match.  So I will have to wait for correct replacements to arrive. (Not from JLTRT as they appear to have ceased trading)

Now for the the loco and see what happens with that.

post-150-0-78657300-1523638537_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-71119100-1523638563_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-59521800-1523638582_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

An easy way to make a tender. My only concern is the flat cover strips on the sides and end look a bit chunky.

They do look that way,  I just laid the typical 1/2 etched type alongside and they are virtually the same depth. My feelling is that it's due to shadow with the lighting I used for the photo. We will see what it's like when primed and in good daylight.

Edited by jazz

Hi. yesterday afternoon I started the JLTRT Ex Midland 2F.  The tender required only the chassis to solder up as the body is a complete resin casting and the whole just need the castings and detailing adding. Unfortunately the kit had been put together in a slap happy way with twelve tender springs and six axle boxes which all did not match.  So I will have to wait for correct replacements to arrive. (Not from JLTRT as they appear to have ceased trading)

Sadly, one of the things that JLTRT was famous for was having almost no quality control over what went in the box.

John K

Edited by John K

Sadly, one of the things that JLTRT was famous for was having almost no quality control over what went in the box.

John K

I agree with that, it's happened to me before and had no trouble having etches/castings sent on. Looks like it's not so easy now though.

Hi. All went quite well today.  Had to make two sandbox filler lids and will have to make a lamp bracket for the s/box top.  Other than that there is the coupling rods to assemble and detailing of the cast smokebox/boiler/firebox, them I can Call it done.

I was pleasantly surprised that everything fitted as it should.

post-150-0-51280500-1523810486_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi. This afternoon I have had to do some rebuilding on the 2F.  (A change in the running number has caused this.). So, the brake pull rods are now on the outside to the wheels. The sand boxes are now behind the buffer beam and inside the cab. A little bit of additional work on her was achieved though.

post-150-0-99118800-1523899395_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi The axle boxes arrived today.  I did not have a chance to assemble the coupling rods, so tomorrow should see it finished and primed (fingers crossed)

post-150-0-77242100-1523979169_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hi.  Had time today to finish the 2F.  I really like this loco and disapointed it's no longer available (hopefully it will appear under a new owner of the kits)

post-150-0-30838000-1524149593_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-42843500-1524149613_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-92374600-1524149632_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Very nice Ken

There is a 3031 class available from Dragon models,  The one I built was a round top, not sure if they do the Belpair version.

Hi Peter. I know about the Dragon kit. I have a G. Norton one arriving, it's the same as the Dragon one. Not quite the same as the JLTRT version and does have the round top f/box.  I will look at perhaps scratch building the f/box and cab front but would also mean changing the dome and safety valves at the very least.

Edited by jazz

Hi Peter. I know about the Dragon kit. I have a G. Norton one arriving, is the same as the Dragon one. Not quite the same as the JLTRT version and does have the round top f/box.  I will look at perhaps scratch building the f/box and cab front but would also mean changing the dome and safety valves at the very least.

I built the George Norton one,  I prefer the look of the round top, but I did use the Deeley fittings.

At least it's a nice and square firebox to fabricate.

Edited by N15class

Peter, looking at photos today, I will probably build it supplied. I agree, it's beginning to grow on me and looks quite nice.  How did you find building the Norton kit? 

For an old hand drawn kit it was very nice, I can't think of any problems I had with it. I've made a couple of Georges kits and I think he made them fairly simple to assemble and could draw quite accurately.

Edited by N15class

Thanks Peter.  I have only ever built one of his his and was back in the 70's if memory serves.  I do remember it was easy to build. I think the current 3130  kit has done the rounds and is now offered by Dragon Models. (I may be wrong on that though.)  

The one I have secured is original Norton, untouched and I am looking forward to the build. I will most probably finish it in BR livery.

Edited by jazz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Just returned from an interesting river cruise in the Netherlands and now back on the WB.  Here are two Gladiator 6 wheel coaches finished as we left for the trip.

Identical building as previously shown in the other ones previously built.

Now it's on with starting the DJH BR Standard class 6 "Clan". Another large and heavy kit. Should be an interesting build. 

post-150-0-67783600-1525196091_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi. Just finished the two coaches in primer ready for delivery. Now I'm trying to decide whether to finish Rocket thats been lurking under the bench for ever or start the DJH 4-6-2 Clan. Watch this space. :scratchhead:

post-150-0-58741300-1525352340_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-53327500-1525352376_thumb.jpg

• Like 3