Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi Guys,

My wife noticed Lidl's have a solder station on offer at the moment for just £9, obviously fairly basic with no digital read out and only a dial to adjust the temp but it does comes with a 3 year guarantee.

Martyn.

You might have missed the boat there Martyn. They were on sale before Christmas and I had a look at one then. I went back last week for another look and they had all gone. They were rated at 48watts (what ever that means) and came with a screw-in pointed bit. There was a screwdriver bit included as an accessory but, as the connection between the element and the bit was by a fairly small screw, into the end of the element, I concluded that you were likely to lose half the 48 watt's worth of heat before it arrived at the end of the bit. Might be ok for 4mm work, or electrical, but I doubt it was man enough for 7mm kits. What was good value though was the packet of assorted  slitting discs for a rotary drill at £3 for two pkts. Enough for a couple of years worth!

SAndy

Thank for all the solder iron comments.  Before turning to Antex some years ago I used Wellar. The tips were a real pain in the a---. Getting jammed all the time.  That's not a problem with Antex.

I have order a replacement Antex and hopefully will arrive today. I am disappointed to see they are now made in China. That could be the reason they are not built as good as they used to be.  I am tired of respected brands constantly going for the cheapest possible manufacturers and the brand suffering as a result.

My 50W Antex - sounds as if we use the same one - went just at the start of the Christmas holidays a couple of years ago. I'd had my use out of it and replaced it with another as soon as I could. I don't think you can find better for hobby use.

Supposedly " Esra " are the Rolls Royce of soldering irons, but I nearly fell off my chair when I found out how much they cost.....

Martyn.

My 50W Antex - sounds as if we use the same one - went just at the start of the Christmas holidays a couple of years ago. I'd had my use out of it and replaced it with another as soon as I could. I don't think you can find better for hobby use.

I do agree on that Johnathan. But the recent experience has shaken that view. I am giving it another go though.

Martyn & Simon. I do agree that the Esra range are the Rolls Royce of soldering irons. As I cannot stretch to a Rolls anyway, so goes it with the Esra equipment. I cannot justify that cost as at my time of life I'm gambling that the Antex range should see me out if the next couple last as long as they used to.

• Like 1

I haven't regretted buying an Ersa,  I have the 80 watt and it's a cracking bit of kit.

I don't doubt that for one moment. I swoon at the thought of spending almost £400 on a piece of kit.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting that the whole solder station is just over £40 but that each new tip is £23. Looks like they are following the inkjet printer pricing model where the consumables can be almost as much as the printer.

Interesting that the whole solder station is just over £40 but that each new tip is £23. Looks like they are following the inkjet printer pricing model where the consumables can be almost as much as the printer.

Hi, Farnell listings are never the  best, but bits are not £23 each, In very small print above the bit prices it does say "pack of 10"! Obviously they need a Plain English consultant to charge the earth to make their listings clear. Regards.

Edited by M Wright

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Farnell listings are never the  best, but bits are not £23 each, In very small print above the bit prices it does say "pack of 10"! Obviously they need a Plain English consultant to charge the earth to make their listings clear. Regards.

Ah yes, the small print...

Not clear on the main listing that it's a pack of 10

post-6675-0-77796200-1517997059_thumb.jpg

Until you click on the more details link

post-6675-0-06922200-1517997089_thumb.jpg

A solder station at that price looks too good to be true. Are they any good?

Hi All

It's a minefield out there!!

I've recently bought this 80W https://www.rapidonline.com/atten-st-80-premium-intelligent-soldering-station-80w-85-6926  which is Chinese made too?

Not had a chance to try it yet (due to the house move) but it takes the HAKKO tips, available in packs of 10 various sizes, (same as Tenma in 2ManySpams post) for about a tenner on Ama zon.

Regards, Deano.

do be wary, RS, for example give pricing thus  "£3.20 each, in a pack of 10" which means you have to shell out 32 quid, which is alright if you can use 10, but if that's going to last you for about 47 years...

Yes Simon, I've seen those, and a wary trap.

These are the ones I refer to though. I bought 2 sets, a normal one for 179*/145* solder and one blackened set for low temp, whitemetal. No chance then of me mixing them up!!!    https://www.amazon.co.uk/fitTek-PUNTE-SALDATORE-SALDATURA-HAKKO/dp/B009LEDSPK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518012066&sr=8-2&keywords=900m+soldering+tips

HaHa! 2 sets should last me 94 years then!! 

Regards, Deano

Edited by Deano747
  • Like 1

Hi. The Antex iron finally arrived yesterday pm and I'm now playing catchup. Whilst I was awaiting I had prepared all the parts ready for quick assembly, soldering what I could with the 25w Antex which dd sterling work.

There was only one thing to what out for, the eccentric crank is too long and needs shortening for clearance at the top. It is also a little to wide and will foul the connecting rods. That required an obvious remedy as you will see during the construction. Hope the photo shows what I mean.

post-150-0-83523200-1518112484_thumb.jpg

Here is the progress as of today.

post-150-0-23374400-1518106851_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 4