Railtrack?????

Oops, forgot to engage brain... but at least Mick knew what I meant!

Now, question is, what paintwork changes will be made, if any, to the Harsco Grinder? I'm taking one of the PHD kits and would like to finish it in the most up to date livery.

Martin

• RMweb Gold

Oops, forgot to engage brain... but at least Mick knew what I meant!Now, question is, what paintwork changes will be made, if any, to the Harsco Grinder? I'm taking one of the PHD kits and would like to finish it in the most up to date livery.Martin

If you are anything like me, there is a chance that the real thing will have undergone at least two livery changes before any model is ready for painting!

950001 the Ex 150, now has "Digital railway/track Recording Unit/Improving your railway" decals on the corners and little pictures, breaks up the plain yellow

NL

Point of pedantry, but 950001 was never a 150.

• RMweb Premium

Lucky to catch the 950 unit visiting my local line twice yesterday, apart from the new decals, both ends have been fitted with LED / Infra red lighting similar to that fitted on some of the DVT's and also a new Gizmo fitted to the cab front, below the camera, of 999601.

post-1685-0-99065300-1461049857_thumb.jpg

post-1685-0-51779000-1461050007_thumb.jpg

post-1685-0-27239000-1461050024_thumb.jpg

post-1685-0-49642800-1461050046_thumb.jpg

post-1685-0-01136100-1461050074_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

NMT at Crewe today, made up of 43014, 977995, 975814, 977993, 977994, 977984, 43062.

All except 977995 had new transfers applied.

Cheers,

Phil.

Steve's already on the case...

Maybe I need to dig out my NMT (version 2)  project and get its started....

Cheers,

Mick

Indeed! Thanks Mick. Interesting to see it's already running as a 2+5 again. May need to tweak the NMT pack slightly to suit (mainly the addition of a couple more magnifying glasses by the looks of it though that's easy-peasy), but this is what's already available for both the NMT and 950:

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=2016+version

Ironically, the coach looks like it is closer in colour to the warning panel yellow

Actually what's currently unclear is how many of each of the following there are in the new 2+5:

- "New Measurement Train"

- "Improving Your Railway"

- "Digital Railway"

- Magnifying glasses

Anyone?

Doesn't the composition of the train change?

• RMweb Premium

Livery details of the 4 rebranded coaches, each one carried the following-

975984- Digital Railway     NetworkRail     New Measurement Train + spyglass

977994- New Measurement Train     NetworkRail     Improving Your Railway

977993- Digital Railway     NetworkRail     New Measurement Train + spyglass

975814- New Measurement Train     NetworkRail     Improving Your Railway    

N.B.

The transfers were directly opposite each other, not diagonally opposite.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-87750800-1461793220_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-14298600-1461793229_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-02782600-1461793237_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Doesn't the composition of the train change?

Yes.  It was designed like that right from the start and some vehicles are task specific. e.g. there are some mainlines where there is or isn't a need to check overhead catenary so the vehicle to do that is a 'floater' which goes into or out of the formation as needed.  There was also originally provision for some Mk2 vehicles to be used but I believe that is now completely finished (photo now expected any day soon in this thread).

I did have a list of all the original vehicles able to work in it and various formation permutations which would be the usual composition which I needed when I was doing ISA work on the train during the safety approval process but I think I probably ditched them all when we moved house  (haven't got room for everything  - regrettably).

Three shades mostly because the vehicles have been repainted at different times and thus different weathering/fading over time and at least one NMT coach was painted in the wrong shade......

Cheers,

Mick

I know there was a case with a Royal Train 47 some years ago which ended up having its yellow panel repainted with signal yellow because someone had accidentally washed the front of the loco with neat screen wash (!) and the only paint they could find to touch it up was in the S&T department!

Unfortunately in all the chaos,they forgot to refuel it before they sent it out again....

• RMweb Premium

Yes.  It was designed like that right from the start and some vehicles are task specific. e.g. there are some mainlines where there is or isn't a need to check overhead catenary so the vehicle to do that is a 'floater' which goes into or out of the formation as needed.  There was also originally provision for some Mk2 vehicles to be used but I believe that is now completely finished (photo now expected any day soon in this thread).

I did have a list of all the original vehicles able to work in it and various formation permutations which would be the usual composition which I needed when I was doing ISA work on the train during the safety approval process but I think I probably ditched them all when we moved house  (haven't got room for everything  - regrettably).

977995 is the spare vehicle used as and when others are out for maintenance. The NMT was originally formed with 977974 and 999550 as the two mark 2 vehicles. Along with Mk3's 975984/977984 and 975814. The Mk2's were later replaced with 977993/977994.

It normally runs as 2+5, for braking purposes, but there are "fun size" versions of it around - usually on short distance turning duties to/from Derby.

Even though 977993 is the overhead inspection vehicle, it is usually retained within the formation when not required. It's usually formed near the centre of the formation as it minimises any interference from the power car exhausts with the OLE optical measuring systems.

When 977993 was out for maintenance in the summer of 2014, it was replaced with MENTOR 975091 and Mk2's to increase the brake force.

Cheers,

Mick

977995 is the spare vehicle used as and when others are out for maintenance. The NMT was originally formed with 977974 and 999550 as the two mark 2 vehicles. Along with Mk3's 975984/977984 and 975814. The Mk2's were later replaced with 977993/977994.

It normally runs as 2+5, for braking purposes, but there are "fun size" versions of it around - usually on short distance turning duties to/from Derby.

Even though 977993 is the overhead inspection vehicle, it is usually retained within the formation when not required. It's usually formed near the centre of the formation as it minimises any interference from the power car exhausts with the OLE optical measuring systems.

When 977993 was out for maintenance in the summer of 2014, it was replaced with MENTOR 975091 and Mk2's to increase the brake force.

Cheers,

Mick

977993 is always retained as it's not just the overhead measurement vehicle (using the Fraunhofer non-contact system - doubt it's changed now, but in my four years at the RTC, that pantograph never left the well), but the Development Vehicle - it carries other systems as well for test and evaluation. 993/994 are the data producing vehicles, without either of them you limit the usefulness of the NMT (quite seriously if PV has to come out). Often the NMT just goes in wholesale for maintenance, and another train would cover (I once worked a Class 37/TIC rake to Plymouth and back ex-Padd in an NMT path covering for an NMT failure - says a lot about the timings when they easily kept time). Lashups like putting MENTOR and Mark 2s in the rake were not commonplace, I recall that rake being put together and it was quite surprising.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Mick

I've now delved out some electronic copies of the original paperwork but alas I doubt it would be sensible to copy them here.  The MkII vehicles were specifically only part of what was called the Phase 1 train and the two vehicles which became 977993 (a former TGS) and 977994 replaced them under Phase 2 as Mick has said.  Mind you I'm quoting from what was intended rather than Mick quoting what actually happened.

• RMweb Premium

I've seen photos of the NMT with seven coaches, when it was running with the Hayabusa hybrid power car. One of those coaches was Hayabusa's tender with all the batteries, and I think one was a test vehicle related to that project, then the rest of the NMT as usual.

Edit: Found a picture https://www.flickr.com/photos/eagle50043/5772901969/ You have to squint a bit but there a definitely seven coaches there.

• RMweb Premium

I've seen photos of the NMT with seven coaches, when it was running with the Hayabusa hybrid power car. One of those coaches was Hayabusa's tender with all the batteries, and I think one was a test vehicle related to that project, then the rest of the NMT as usual.

Edit: Found a picture https://www.flickr.com/photos/eagle50043/5772901969/ You have to squint a bit but there a definitely seven coaches there.

Looks like 977995 at the back (distinctive light grey roof)

The battery car 977996 still exists - in the grounds of Bachmann UK at Barwell.......

Hayabusa 43089 is now back in normal use with East Midlands Trains.

The extra test vehicle used was when it was being trialled at the Great Central was mk2 977974 (previously with the NMT and still carrying it's blue stripes - since been converted back to loco-hauled configuration and is now TIC2, replacing the previous TIC - 999508)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

The NMT is out this week with the spare (odd coloured) coach at the end of the configuration.

the NMT was split last week for calibration and was running to and from wherever they do it as a 2+2 configuration, handy prototype for those with just a couple of Hornby coaches to run with the NMT power cars!

(And as the NMT was away the TIC train I worked was top and tail 37s)

Archived